What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick?

Postby ScrappyDoo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:04 pm

It looks like the Pats will be getting at least a top 5 pick, maybe even top 3 pick from the 49ers, who look absolutely lost.

Anyone have any ideas about what the Pats would do with such a high pick. I would think they would trade up since they normally dont like giving out a lot of guaranteed money. Probably trade for a mid round pick and draft a LB.

Pat's haters are going to be pissed if they win the Superbowl and get a top 3-5 pick in the draft.

I personally would like to see them trade for a mid round pick and use the money to resign Moss.

Any thoughts.

The Pats could even get the first pick if they continue playing this poorly. Although they would need some help from the Jets and Dolphins.
ScrappyDoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick?

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:30 pm

Their only pressing need would be a corner, if Samuel leaves, but there aren't any worth taking that high. Arkansas running back Darren McFadden is a real possibility if they keep the pick. That would give them a nice one-two punch with Maroney.

I don't think that signing Moss will be a problem. I think he's more about the respect and the prestige now than the big bucks. He'll remain a Super Bowl contender with the Patriots, something most of the other teams out there can't offer. Getting back on top opens up the endorsement deals, which in the long run can outweigh a few million difference in salary. I honestly believe that Moss is remaking himself. If he's not, he's at least putting on a good show of it. Canton and Super Bowl rings, that's the kind of stuff he's thinking about. The money will come anyways; it's the respect he has to earn, and he knows it now.

I think the Patriots will hold onto their pick. They should be able to grab McFadden or another top runner and still pick up a decent corner later in the draft.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:40 pm

Incidentally, it's patently absurd in my opinion that they get to keep that one. The league should have docked the higher of the two picks they possess.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gtabaplayr » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:43 pm

From the looks of it, I'm guessing the it will be the #2 overall pick when all is said and done.

The 49ers have a terrible SOS which is the tie-breaker. St. Louis seems to be getting healthy and the Jets have lost a few close games this year. I wouldn't be surprised if the Niners lose the rest of their games, if you look at their schedule that is saying something too.

I think the Pats will be in a position to take BPA if they cannot trade down to the middle of the 1st or maybe work a deal with Dallas.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:50 pm

eaglesrule wrote:Incidentally, it's patently absurd in my opinion that they get to keep that one. The league should have docked the higher of the two picks they possess.

There is no logic behind that. Docking the Patriots their personal draft picks is the attempt at evening out the field. The pats cheated and used something that other teams don't typically have. So dock them something of theirs so they can't have it while other teams do. Makes sense...no reason to dock them something that they obtained through means that affect their salary cap and personale (sp?) (what trading for picks in the future does). Makes no sense.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:41 pm

I would think that they try to trade out of the pick and get more picks because they don't have a glaring need and have knack for finding what they need later.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:30 pm

I'm personally drooling at the thought of seeing McFadden and Maroney together (and judging from the way Maroney's been dinged up in his short career, it's a possibility) but I think they trade out of the spot and pick up another first or something like that.
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wbgrafix » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:31 pm

Running Back - Maybe.......I am sure Maroney isn't exactly playing up to the potential they thought he had.

I would think they would trade down and rack up a lot more picks. It seems they do pretty good in the draft and could inject some youth into their Defense.

I know Dallas would love McFadden. So maybe both teams will try to swing a deal. Although, the way Cleveland is playing, i'm not sure that Dallas pick is going to be as high as originally thought.
wbgrafix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby nsulham » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:34 pm

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think they'll opt to trade down and get another first, then take either Laurinaitis or Connor with their first pick and a CB (maybe Talib or Jenkins) with their second pick.
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:18 pm

aaawall91 wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:Incidentally, it's patently absurd in my opinion that they get to keep that one. The league should have docked the higher of the two picks they possess.

There is no logic behind that. Docking the Patriots their personal draft picks is the attempt at evening out the field. The pats cheated and used something that other teams don't typically have. So dock them something of theirs so they can't have it while other teams do. Makes sense...no reason to dock them something that they obtained through means that affect their salary cap and personale (sp?) (what trading for picks in the future does). Makes no sense.

Doesn't have to be "logical," it has to be just. Since there is no precedent, I don't think it's fair. At the end of the day, the pick is now "their's" whether they obtained it through the normal means (everyone gets a pick every year) or they traded for it. How it cascades shouldn't be a major concern in my opinion, because when you are cheating, you are subverting the notion of "fair" so a punishment from where I sit doesn't need to be fair by the Patriots, it needs to be fair to the whole of the league.

At any rate, they do have one stellar front office, and the thought of them with cap room and a top five pick is not really fun.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk