What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick?

Postby theclefe » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:43 am

There is a very good chance they will trade down.

The only position they have drafted high has been defensive linemen, and now they are stocked with young studs.I highly doubt they will select a LB. Folks have been predicting they would draft one for the last three years. Belichek has shown he values experience above raw talent at the position. Cornerback seems like the biggest question on the defense, but they could easily use a 2nd or 3rd round pick and develop him into a serviceable DB. The signing of Welker long term guarantees they won't put any more money into the receiver position for a few years unless it is a Moss extension.

The question is, are they willing to spend a good chunk of cap money to resign a stud running back in a few years. If so, then McFadden would be on their list. If not, then I'd say offensive line would be their target. A guard.
theclefe
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:27 am

steelerfan513 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Back on track....

McFadden should not be available to them. He should be the first player taken IMO

Sorry bout the hijacking...

That definitely depends on which team gets the first pick. If Miami, St. Louis, or San Fran gets it, chances are they won't take McFadden.

I think with the way the league is they may still do it, except for St. Louis.

Miami may do it because of not knowing if Brown can come back.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gtabaplayr » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:50 am

Miami is the only team that you could say with some certainty will have a worse record than the 49ers. Beck's start this weekend will be telling. They could even eek out a few wins against the likes of the Jets, Buf, Balt, and Cinci.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:27 pm

Who thinks McFadden wont be available 2 them?? The Pats are going to have a top 3 pick, they will pick higher then STL, id say it will be the #2 overall pick, and I doubt McFadden will be the #1
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:09 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:It is "their own." Once it switched hands, it became the Pats. This was an unprecedented offense. You can argue specifics, but the default problem is that a team who was caught cheating could also have a top five pick, and this makes sense how?

The Patriots made a specific transaction to get that pick back in April. Taking that pick away would be nullifying half of a trade. The NFL can't punish the Patriots for correctly predicting that the 49ers would suck this year by taking away a pick that they fairly traded for. They CAN punish them by taking away a draft pick they have always owned and that has never been through any transactions.

Basically you're condoning the nullification of half of a trade just for the fairness of the league. Should teams be punished for being too good or having good foresight to predict that another team will be bad?

Sorry to bring this back up, but you guys are forgetting one very important point. The suspension was handed down after week one! I mean sure any reasonable person would assume that the Pats would finish higher than the 49ers, but this is the NFL where teams like the Browns and Lions can make runs, so you never know who is going to end up where. Another wrinkle is that the pick could have been a 2nd rounder, and I haven't looked but I don't think the Patriots have the 49ers second pick. So now it is just a question of consistency. If the Pats miss the playoffs they lose their own pick, but if they make the playoffs they lose the 9ers pick? Ya that makes perfect sense.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:11 pm

Miami will probably end up drafting a QB (Matt Ryan maybe?). Which means that if the Patriots have the second or third pick they will be granted to get either Dorsey or McFadden. If this happens i don't think you see the Patriots trading the pick unless they get 2 first round picks.

BTW the penalty on the patriots was a first round pick if they make the playoffs or a second and third round pick. So basically the penalty was a first round pick top 20 protected, not their highest first round pick.
thedude
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby APAP » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:10 pm

thedude wrote:Miami will probably end up drafting a QB (Matt Ryan maybe?). Which means that if the Patriots have the second or third pick they will be granted to get either Dorsey or McFadden. If this happens i don't think you see the Patriots trading the pick unless they get 2 first round picks.

BTW the penalty on the patriots was a first round pick if they make the playoffs or a second and third round pick. So basically the penalty was a first round pick top 20 protected, not their highest first round pick.

I don't think theyll take another QB having just drafted Beck.
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:40 pm

APAP wrote:
thedude wrote:Miami will probably end up drafting a QB (Matt Ryan maybe?). Which means that if the Patriots have the second or third pick they will be granted to get either Dorsey or McFadden. If this happens i don't think you see the Patriots trading the pick unless they get 2 first round picks.

I don't think theyll take another QB having just drafted Beck.

Yea and they passed on Quinn because of how high they were on Beck. I could see them taking Jake Long from UM though b/c their line is horrendous
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Spidey » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:03 pm

I would rather see them trade down a bit and get RB - Jonathan Stewart and possibly 1 of either LBs Dan Connor or Jordon Dizon. Stewart is a tuff pound the ball back and we need to get younger at linebacker.
Spidey
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby JoshJungalo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:31 pm

Refresh me... What was the trade that landed them a #1 from San Fran?
JoshJungalo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk