What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What will the Pats do with their top 5 pick?

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:22 pm

JoshJungalo wrote:Refresh me... What was the trade that landed them a #1 from San Fran?

From ESPN:

49ers trade up with Patriots

San Francisco 49ers: Acquire pick No. 28 (selected OT Joe Staley).
New England Patriots: Acquire pick No. 110 and a first-round pick in 2008.
Scouts take: The 49ers aggressively moved up in the backend of the first round to acquire LT Joe Staley. By selecting Staley the 49ers can move LT Jonas Jennings to the right side and drastically improve their offensive line. The 49ers have been shopping both RG Justin Smiley and the underachieving RT Kwame Harris throughout the offseason. Staley was a former TE who was converted to RT in 2004. He is a very good athlete with outstanding feet, balance and control but needs to improve his total body strength.

The Patriots got great value acquiring the 49ers' first-round pick in 2008 and a fourth this season. The Patriots like to acquire future No. 1 picks.

Hilariously, the Patriots then traded the 49ers pick to Oakland for ... RANDY MOSS.

So the Patriots received Randy Moss and what will be a high 2008 1st round pick for their 2007 28th pick ;-D
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:36 am

what cheaters! :-D ;-7
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:55 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Who thinks McFadden wont be available 2 them?? The Pats are going to have a top 3 pick, they will pick higher then STL, id say it will be the #2 overall pick, and I doubt McFadden will be the #1

McFadden should be number 1,just like AD should have been number 1 last year. Fact is people are dumb when they draft in the early part of the draft. You should take the best player available
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:03 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Who thinks McFadden wont be available 2 them?? The Pats are going to have a top 3 pick, they will pick higher then STL, id say it will be the #2 overall pick, and I doubt McFadden will be the #1

McFadden should be number 1,just like AD should have been number 1 last year. Fact is people are dumb when they draft in the early part of the draft. You should take the best player available

I cant speak for every team that passed on AD, but I'm pretty sure they were all going for best player available. Back then AD's talent wasnt questioned, but his injury history was - which was the main reason he fell 6 places. Considering he was still a top 10 pick, I wouldnt think it was that great of a fall. Talent wise, there were 2 players that were head and tails above everyone else this yr and both were picked pretty high.

To answer the question about the Pats pick next yr, McFadden looks just as good as any. If not McFadden, I would say they take Jake Long and then moving him over to play RT. The only other thing I see is if a DE, LB, CB or S shoots up the value chart and isnt too much of a stretch to be chosen in the top 3, but I cant see that happening.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:27 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

I cant speak for every team that passed on AD, but I'm pretty sure they were all going for best player available. Back then AD's talent wasnt questioned, but his injury history was - which was the main reason he fell 6 places. Considering he was still a top 10 pick, I wouldnt think it was that great of a fall. Talent wise, there were 2 players that were head and tails above everyone else this yr and both were picked pretty high.

To answer the question about the Pats pick next yr, McFadden looks just as good as any. If not McFadden, I would say they take Jake Long and then moving him over to play RT. The only other thing I see is if a DE, LB, CB or S shoots up the value chart and isnt too much of a stretch to be chosen in the top 3, but I cant see that happening.

Calais Campbell and Kenny Phillips are both top 5 values at DE and S respectively.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AllDay » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:40 am

They'll take the local kid, Matt Ryan.

Brady sux. The need to get a QB of the future. :-b
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:10 am

deerayfan072 wrote:

I can't say I wouldn't have liked to see Peterson in an Orange hat, but I also can't say I have any complaints as to the Browns taking Joe Thomas at #3. He's been a huge part of Cleveland's resurgence on the O-Line, which has in turn been a huge part of them still being a relevant team 11 weeks in. Best RB in the world does you no good if there's no one to block for him.

As to the Pats, if they can get McFadden I'd think they'll take him, as RB seems to be one of the few weaknesses they have. In my opinion Maroney's looking less and less like like the answer to that question, and it's become fairly apparent the Pats feel the same way.

So far as the "justness" of them having this high a pick, For the love of God get over it already. They cheated. They got caught. They got punished. It's OVER. It has even less to do with the pick they got from San Fran than "Spygate" has to do with them being 10-0.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:34 am

CC wrote:Calais Campbell and Kenny Phillips are both top 5 values at DE and S respectively.

Thats my guess for who they draft then.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:37 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

I can't say I wouldn't have liked to see Peterson in an Orange hat, but I also can't say I have any complaints as to the Browns taking Joe Thomas at #3. He's been a huge part of Cleveland's resurgence on the O-Line, which has in turn been a huge part of them still being a relevant team 11 weeks in. Best RB in the world does you no good if there's no one to block for him.

As to the Pats, if they can get McFadden I'd think they'll take him, as RB seems to be one of the few weaknesses they have. In my opinion Maroney's looking less and less like like the answer to that question, and it's become fairly apparent the Pats feel the same way.

So far as the "justness" of them having this high a pick, For the love of God get over it already. They cheated. They got caught. They got punished. It's OVER. It has even less to do with the pick they got from San Fran than "Spygate" has to do with them being 10-0.

I liked Thomas too, In fact I wanted the Bucs to get him. AD should have gone before Russell IMO, so should have CJ2. If it were me I would take the most talented player available if I had a top 10 pick. It's just a preference of drafting.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:47 pm

There's a lot of talk about "best player available" but that's subjective; as a Montana or Brady shows, the "best player available" may be much deeper in the draft than you need to reach early on. Moving up or down to fill a serious need is good strategy too. Who drafted Moss or Derek Anderson in the Top 5 this year? If we can't even get it right in fantasy, how can we expect the pros to make great selections from the huge college talent pool every year?

So something that does have to get looked at is expected production versus cost. How likely is it that the 1st receiver, 4th quarterback, or 3rd linebacker or whatever is going to be worth his cost? There's obviously a reluctance to pay players the big bucks when they're coming in with a serious injury history, or if they'll have to learn a system completely different from anything they've played in. Suddenly it looks smarter to wait a round or two to take that player who's expected to excel at the pro level, even if in raw talent he doesn't compare to a first rounder.

In fantasy football I draft with the knowledge that later round picks and free agent pickups may become my starters. I felt good about Welker's chances this year with Moss and Stallworth drawing coverage, and sure enough he's come through. I picked up Welker in the 9th round and he's been a starter for me most of the way. NFL teams do the same thing, believing in players that other teams aren't high on.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk