A Johnson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A Johnson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: A Johnson

Postby FatFoot » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:17 pm

abrunn11 wrote:
calc27 wrote:AJ has had David Carr throwing to him every year, that's why his career high is 6 TDs. We've seen what David Carr can turn a quality WR like Steve Smith, which is basically fantasy mediocrity, so you can't go by AJ's track record to determine how many more TDs he'll get the rest of the year. If AJ stays healthy, and Schuab does too, I believe he can easily catch 5-6 more TDs.

So let me get this straight. Andre Johnson has only had 6 touchdowns in a single year because David Carr has was holding him back. But, he will score 6 TD's in 7 games because he has something called Matt Schaub (11 CAREER TD passes/13 career INT's) throwing him the ball? Please, explain why you think Matt Schaub will double Andre Johnson's TD production.

BTW, Carr has a better career QB rating and TD/INT ratio than Schaub.

I wouldn't count anything Schaub has done as the backup on the Falcons against him. That's a team designed around Mike Vick. Maybe Vince Young would succeed there, but Schaub is not that kind of QB. If you're going to pretend that Schaub sucks compared to Carr, then you're ignoring his quality of play with the Texans. And while you're at it, you'd better also ignore Derek Anderson, as he looked awful before this year as well.

I just don't think you can wear blinders about the events of this season. The fact that Tom Brady has never looked ANYWHERE NEAR as good as he does now, that LT is not playing up to par, that Moss is back, bigger than ever, after 2 ABYSMAL years... I mean if you want to blow that stuff off, fine, but it doesn't lead to quality FF decisions.

They're both somewhat inconsistent. The difference is that Schaub puts up a lot of yards, and Carr doesn't. Carr's badness seems to follow him from team to team. This is the first time we've seen Schaub as a starter, and his QB rating is impacted by the 2 games against monster D's and his injuries.

Not to mention that 2007 stats:
Carr qb rating: 65.7
Schaub qb rating: 85.0

Schaub starting for the Texans is better than Carr starting for the Texans was, and Andre's stats prior to his injury reflect that. They will reflect that again from here on out.
Last edited by FatFoot on Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigBadBrawler » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:21 pm

abrunn11 wrote:
calc27 wrote:AJ has had David Carr throwing to him every year, that's why his career high is 6 TDs. We've seen what David Carr can turn a quality WR like Steve Smith, which is basically fantasy mediocrity, so you can't go by AJ's track record to determine how many more TDs he'll get the rest of the year. If AJ stays healthy, and Schuab does too, I believe he can easily catch 5-6 more TDs.

So let me get this straight. Andre Johnson has only had 6 touchdowns in a single year because David Carr has was holding him back. But, he will score 6 TD's in 7 games because he has something called Matt Schaub (11 CAREER TD passes/13 career INT's) throwing him the ball? Please, explain why you think Matt Schaub will double Andre Johnson's TD production.

BTW, Carr has a better career QB rating and TD/INT ratio than Schaub.

I think most people would agree that Carr was absolutely holding AJ back from a fantasy perspective. No matter what our personal feelings about Carr are, he doesn't have the patience in the pocket to let WRs get downfield. That leads to less downfield passes and less scoring opportunities. His TD/INT ratio and his QB rating come from the fact that almost all of his passes are check-downs or dump-offs. Schaub showed great chemistry with AJ, and they connected for 3TDs in their first 2 games together. While you may not think Schaub is a better overall QB than Carr because of the statistics, he is most certainly the better QB for AJ from a fantasy perspective. And they're averaging 1.5 TD connections per game, so the estimate of 5-6 TDs in the next 7 games, while high, is certainly within the realm of possibility (and using AJ/Schaub evidence is much more relevant than AJ's career stats IMO)...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:12 pm

if it was some other team besides new orleans then i would say don't start him. But he will want to prove he is healthy or at least get a cheap td somehow. I think colston and holt and fitz are great plays as well.
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:50 pm

abrunn11 wrote:How much can you reaaly expect out of a guy whose career high is 6 touchdowns? I am guessing, judging by his track record, he will score one more TD this year, and that's if he is healthy.

you really haven't seen much of him eh? AJ is one of the best talents at WR out there right now, he's just been hampered by an awful supporting cast (except when D-Day was there) and some injuries.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby climbmda71 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:46 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:How much can you reaaly expect out of a guy whose career high is 6 touchdowns? I am guessing, judging by his track record, he will score one more TD this year, and that's if he is healthy.

you really haven't seen much of him eh? AJ is one of the best talents at WR out there right now, he's just been hampered by an awful supporting cast (except when D-Day was there) and some injuries.

That is a 2 way street, though. He is a great talent, but prior to Schaub arriving has been a largely overrated FF receiver. Let's face it, in Fantasy, if your supporting cast is holding you back, you are held back. You are only as good as your numbers in FF.

I was mocked and ridiculed in previous years for dumping him for "lesser" receivers who led me to playoffs and championships. I have no problem with someone taking a "show me" attitude on a receiver who was outscored by Eddie Kennison in most formats the last 2 seasons, even if is wasn't his fault. But for the record, I started him with confidence, today, over Roy Williams. The reasoning was the same. Roy has not been putting up numbers, even though it is not his fault.
Some people are like slinkies... They don't really do anything, yet you can't help but smile when they tumble down the stairs.
climbmda71
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:52 pm

You gotta be crazy if you dont think Carr was holding AJ back, and Schaub will double his production, if Carr was there this year AJ would have 2 tds maybe, and yardage would be way down...Carr has never and will never make his wr look good and feed him the ball downfield all game, he's too busy checking down, if you dont think so you havent seen him play anywhere
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:01 am

6 Rec, 120 yards, 1 TD, boys. I for one am happy.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby AllDay » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:34 am

Solid game today. Even after missing the better part of 7 games he's probably going to top 6 TD's.

Looks like he will make a great WR2 type the rest of the way.

I was happy to steal him away from his original owner. :-D
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:22 am

Those are WR1 numbers, homey.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby AllDay » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:30 pm

FatFoot wrote:Those are WR1 numbers, homey.

They could be - AJ is probably one of those guys who is a borderline WR1/WR2 in fantasy football. I don't think he has clearly established himself as a top 10/12 type WR.

I would expect more objections over calling him a WR1 in fantasy than a WR2.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk