Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this cheating

Postby collegeguy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:37 pm

Player A trades Kellen Winslow
Player B trades Jamal Lewis

week later
Player A is trading Jamal Lewis
Player B is trading Kellen Winslow

So in essence their trying to swap players for the week. They are saying theres no rule against I assumed it was common sense.

So is it cheating or common practice? I'm definetely for cheating.
collegeguy
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is this cheating

Postby SLAMLLC » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:36 am

It is only cheating if it is specifically against your rules. If your league rules were drawn up by anyone who had some sense that would have been addressed. Do I have a problem with it, most definately. Can anything be done about it? Unless you have a specific rule against this practice or your Commish powers are allowed to be used against collusion at your will, maybe not for this year. We have a rule that once you trade a player away you cannot regain him for the remainder of the year.
SLAMLLC Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Canton Cruisers » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:50 pm

I have to agree with SLAMLLC. This is a move I'm against, if it's coordinated between two teams to help eachother when convenient by trading back and forth, and it shouldn't be allowed but only if it's stated in your league rules, there's nothing you can do unless it's against a specific rule set forth at the beginning of the season.
Canton Cruisers
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:31 pm

It's a form of collusion, which means that there doesn't have to be a specific rule against it. It's cheating. Do you think the NFL would allow this type of trading?
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kareighuis » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:30 pm

I'm gonna go against the grain here. Depending on the circumstances (what week the trade was done, who the teams were playing), I don't think it's necessarily cheating.

One way I would consider this not cheating is if Team A needed a bye week filler at RB, or Team B needed a filler at TE. Given this, the other team may have decided to comply because the team they would trade with was playing a divisional foe. Once the game was done, the trade would be done again, sending the players back to their original team.

For the record, I think setting down in the rules that a player can't be reacquired once traded is ridiculous. One league I'm in specifies a player can't be traded for until 5 weeks pass since they were traded. That sounds much more reasonable.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Kareighuis wrote:One way I would consider this not cheating is if Team A needed a bye week filler at RB, or Team B needed a filler at TE. Given this, the other team may have decided to comply because the team they would trade with was playing a divisional foe. Once the game was done, the trade would be done again, sending the players back to their original team.

So how would that not be cheating? If the Chargers wanted to trade Antonio Gates to a team that was playing KC or Denver during their bye week and then trade back afterwards, would the NFL allow it? It's a prearranged agreement that is meant to hamper fair play in the league.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:38 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:It's a prearranged agreement that is meant to hamper fair play in the league.

That's the essence of the one week trade right there.

In my league, I'd allow the first trade because I likely would not know of the other arrangement. But the second trade would almost certainly be vetoed.

Our league rules don't make such trades illegal per se, but the rules do list examples of types of trades that will be closely reviewed and most likely to be vetoed.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dream_017 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:39 am

Kareighuis wrote:I'm gonna go against the grain here. Depending on the circumstances (what week the trade was done, who the teams were playing), I don't think it's necessarily cheating.

One way I would consider this not cheating is if Team A needed a bye week filler at RB, or Team B needed a filler at TE. Given this, the other team may have decided to comply because the team they would trade with was playing a divisional foe. Once the game was done, the trade would be done again, sending the players back to their original team.

For the record, I think setting down in the rules that a player can't be reacquired once traded is ridiculous. One league I'm in specifies a player can't be traded for until 5 weeks pass since they were traded. That sounds much more reasonable.

It has been said before and I think it is said best:

another teams roster is not an extention of your bench.

Prearranged trade = Collusion
Collusion = Cheating
Cheating = being kicked out of my league
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby joejlitz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:37 pm

SLAMLLC wrote:It is only cheating if it is specifically against your rules. If your league rules were drawn up by anyone who had some sense that would have been addressed. Do I have a problem with it, most definately. Can anything be done about it? Unless you have a specific rule against this practice or your Commish powers are allowed to be used against collusion at your will, maybe not for this year. We have a rule that once you trade a player away you cannot regain him for the remainder of the year.

I vehemently disagree. It is cheating. And whether there is a rule against it or not, there should be some kind of repurcussions. There can't be a rule against everything. That's why the MLB commissioner has immense power under the "best interests in baseball" clause. Basically, if the commish determines that an action is contrary to the best interests of the league, then he has a responsibility to the league to act. Your commish has a responsiblity to protect the integrity of the league in order to protect the interests of the rest of the owners.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Shredd1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:24 pm

Like all situations that may come up in a season, if anyone has a problem, state that problem to all the coaches, give them a date to vote yes or no (or whatever options fit) on the issue, then let the league decide and move on their mandate. That leaves out the "dictator" commissioner abusing his power issue. It also resolves the "making up rules as you go" issue. As a commissioner this leaves you completely neutral yet actively involved. JMHO ;-D
BTW please visit my Fantasy Football and NFL Pick'ems BLOG:
http://fantasyfootballextrapoint.blogspot.com/
A Fantasy Football QB RB and WR selction system based on yards AND touchdowns.
///Shredd1
Shredd1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner