It didn't look good, did it? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

It didn't look good, did it?

Moderator: Football Moderators

It didn't look good, did it?

Postby scrumtalecent » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:12 am

The guy from Fox Sports makes some good points:

"The first thing the Lions have to worry about? The Giants' pass rush. The Lions have allowed 40 sacks, most in the NFL. The Giants have 31, most in the league.

Quarterback Jon Kitna missed Wednesday's practice because of a sore back. He is expected to play, but struggling right tackle George Foster will have to protect him from Michael Strahan, the NFL's active sacks leader.

"Those guys are really good, but the problem is, they're really good at coverage," Kitna said. "So you have to hold the ball a little bit sometimes, and that gives them an extra half a second or a second to get to you, too. So it all works hand in hand."

You might suggest the Lions run the ball to keep the Giants from pinning back their ears. But the Lions are coming off the worst rushing performance in modern NFL history, a minus-18 showing against the Cardinals, the lowest total since sack yardage stopped being included in rushing yardage 60 years ago. And running back Kevin Jones has been suffering from a sore foot.

On defense, the Lions have been stopping the run well. But their secondary doesn't match up well with wide receivers Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer. They aren't expected to play much man-to-man. Their best hope probably will be to play zone and hope to pressure quarterback Eli Manning into making mistakes."

To paraphrase: Kitna's getting creamed (again). When he does have time to throw the receivers won't be open. Jones, if he plays, will be playing hurt (again), so they may throw it 70 times. On defense, the Lions are going to get burned by Plax and Toomer.

On another note, I think Foster knows he'll be on the bench when Scott comes back, but hopefully Marinelli has threatened him with huge fines and/or public castration.

If the Lions lose, it could be all downhill from here. If they win, I don't care what anyone says, they're a good football team.

Lions 27 Giants 26 (Last second extra point is blocked and Ford Field fans go crazy ;-D )
Last edited by scrumtalecent on Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: It doesn't look good, does it?

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:12 pm

The biggest problem the Lions have this week is that they cant bench Foster cause of injuries. Foster would be so deep on that bench if he just had a healthy backup. Strahan is going to eat him alive this week. Its gonna be bad. Luckily he will be coming from Kitnas right side and not from behind him...oh wait thats U min your a or how ever you spell his name lol.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Re: It doesn't look good, does it?

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:54 am

They failed to mention that the Lions will face a competent NFL QB. The last one they faced was McNabb. That didn't turn out very well now did it?
There is a very real threat that the Lions playoff charade comes to an end today. I don't see anyone in the NFL that can cover Plaxico, and Shockey could get into the HOF after today. (The Lions never cover TEs well-see Pope and his 2 TD game) KJ hurting, O-line looking shakier again, Kitna starting to finally show some wear (how he has lasted this long I'll never know) CJ2 still showing little signs of life. This sounds like another slaughter today.

The only hope is that the D-line and Sims jumps up and crushes the Giants. Will Big Blubber show up and play well when he is out there even if we get off to a poor start? Will Corey Redding start to earn his money? Will Kalimba...scratch that, we know he won't. I can't see it happening guys. VaGiants 34 Leos 17

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Re: It didn't look good, did it?

Postby scrumtalecent » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:23 pm

That 17 points you chose for the Lions, mooch, would've won the game, but the Lions don't roll that way on offense. Unless their defense scores two TD's, it doesn't look good. Looks like I was being too optimistic. 8-8 looks about right.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:15 pm

They arent even going to get 8. You watch. The wheels have completely fallen off now. We are going to see a meltdown from the top to the bottom. :-o
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:34 am

latsprewell20002000 wrote:They arent even going to get 8. You watch. The wheels have completely fallen off now. We are going to see a meltdown from the top to the bottom. :-o

I disagree. I think there is enough improvement in the way they focus and in the play of the D, coupled with the puke that is the lack of quality in the NFL, that could lead to 8 victories. KC and Minn can be had and I fully expect that we give the Pack a run for the money Thursday.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scrumtalecent » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:07 pm

You're probably right, mooch. They are improved. The problem is, that's not saying a lot compared to the last several years. I guess I feel the bandwagon is on fire, so I needed to jump off before something horrible happens. Hopefully, their defense can slow down the pack or it's going to be a long turkey-day.

On a side note, why does Calvin keep turning his body all the way around, jumping for the ball and then landing on his back? Sure, it looks cool, but that first catch where he hurt his back had to hurt. These other ones are making it worse. Somebody show this boy a different way to catch, before we destroy another top five pick.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:02 am

I think Calvin does that to ward off defenders, using his size and jumping ability to make the catch. I have no problem with that. His injury looked more flukey than something we need worry of recurrance. I would much rather watch CJ2 try and make catches than watch Roy make catches more difficult to try to protect himself.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Lets not even talk about Calvin Johnson lol. The lions are completely underachieving in that respect. I mean they have a guy thats an absolute MONSTER of a talent and weapon that they dont even have him on the field in the last 2 minutes of a game??? They blame everything in the world. Packages, him not knowing enough, injured. Its all BS. When we had Charles Rogers they did everything to get him the ball and he sucked. Now we have Calvin and they dont even try. Its crap. He needs to know 5 routes period. go, slant, post, double post, fade. Go get it done. This makes no sense at all to me. Its a major problem. If any of you have seen him at a game you would understand that hes a freak. Hes bigger, faster, and stronger than anyone on the field. How they dont or cant get the ball in his hands is a joke. These package problems that they talk about. I mean look at Moss, T.O. and shit those guys arent always single covered or open. BUT they throw the ball and let the guy make a play. You have to trust that hes better than the guy thats covering him. Which CALVIN JOHNSON IS. Im so upset about all of this cause its ridiculous. We had holes all over this team and we drafted him number 2. We better damn well use him. Look at Steve Smith for example. EVERYONE on that damn field knows hes getting the ball. THEY STILL DO IT. There are ways to get your playmakers the ball. This is unacceptable. Nobody agrees with me on this?? Mooch you say we are improving?? I dont see this. We have been lucky with playing crappy teams and turnovers. Luck. Luck is over. Look at last week. Backus played the best game of his career. Sappai (SP) MAN UP on STRAHAN??????? The lions couldnt figure out that they need to give the 3rd string guy some help against a perennial PRO BOWLER??? I could make better decisions than these guys. Martz has taken over. Im not blaming him for all of it but something isnt right. OH I almost forgot 7 yards rushing in the past 2 weeks.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:24 pm

I think a win this Thanksgiving could really give the Lions the momentum they so desperately need. That same momentum they had 2 or 3 games into the season. Especially against such a division rival with such a great record to mess up. If they could pull this one off, they might get the rock rolling again. Imagine beating the Pack, then the V-Queen's, and then hosting Dallas with something under their belt. It sure would be amazing. Here's to hoping. Go Lions!
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Detroit Lions