Return to General Talk

No Smoking outside?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: No Smoking outside?

Postby treat24 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:18 pm

Jimboozie wrote:
treat24 wrote:
5 wrote:This is really out of control.

No smoking indoors, no smoking in your apartment, no smoking in your car...now no smoking outside?

Just wait til it gets to the point where we get so many second hand smoke trials that they start deeming smoking in public as poisoning the atmosphere, poisoning other people, etc etc... it's more like the tip of the iceberg right now.

Philip Morris and Big Tobacco won't let it go that far. My 2 cents.

They've already expanded into buying things like tombstone and kraft to curb their losses on the cigarette end. I think they already know there's a losing battle there.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:54 pm

Jimboozie wrote:
treat24 wrote:
5 wrote:This is really out of control.

No smoking indoors, no smoking in your apartment, no smoking in your car...now no smoking outside?

Just wait til it gets to the point where we get so many second hand smoke trials that they start deeming smoking in public as poisoning the atmosphere, poisoning other people, etc etc... it's more like the tip of the iceberg right now.

Philip Morris and Big Tobacco won't let it go that far. My 2 cents.

Eh, tobacco is an easy target now. I doubt they'll put up much of a fight unless we're talking blatant disregard for constitutional rights or something else relatively easy. Taxed up the arse too. :-[

But yea, I'd sneak a smoke onsite if I worked for this company. B-)
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:54 pm

treat24 wrote:Just wait til it gets to the point where we get so many second hand smoke trials that they start deeming smoking in public as poisoning the atmosphere, poisoning other people, etc etc... it's more like the tip of the iceberg right now.

I'm still in shock no one has sued a beer company for cirrhosis of the liver yet.

Heck, if some moron can plead stupidity about not knowing the dangers of inhaling something that's on fire, and win (!), surely someone could plead stupidity and win against a beer company too.

:-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SJNez46 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:03 pm

I live in Bangor :-D I hate Hollywood slots
^soty
SJNez46
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:29 am

I was against outlawing smoking in all businesses in the past and still am. I think it should be up to the business. I wouldn't mind seeing smoking banned in cars, especially if there are underage passengers, but banning smoking outdoors? Might as well just outlaw cigarettes altogether.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:44 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I was against outlawing smoking in all businesses in the past and still am. I think it should be up to the business. I wouldn't mind seeing smoking banned in cars, especially if there are underage passengers, but banning smoking outdoors? Might as well just outlaw cigarettes altogether.

thank you. That has always been my point. I don't smoke anymore and I hate when people smoke when I am eating, but my point has always been that we live in a Capitalistic society and the business should be able to decide what is good for them and what isn't
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:44 am

Madison wrote:
treat24 wrote:Just wait til it gets to the point where we get so many second hand smoke trials that they start deeming smoking in public as poisoning the atmosphere, poisoning other people, etc etc... it's more like the tip of the iceberg right now.

I'm still in shock no one has sued a beer company for cirrhosis of the liver yet.

Heck, if some moron can plead stupidity about not knowing the dangers of inhaling something that's on fire, and win (!), surely someone could plead stupidity and win against a beer company too.

:-b

:-? :-? :-?

}:-) }:-)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RiffRaff » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:58 am

100% of all gum chewers die.

Watch out Wrigleys and Trident, a lawyer will be knocking on your door next. :-°
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby josebach » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:18 am

At my work, there are certain designated smoking areas outside. They used to be able to smoke anywhere outside, but so many of them would congregate near the doors of the buildings that people would have to walk through smoke to get inside the building. Banning smoking near these doorways even though they're outside to me is perfectly acceptable. That's the whole point. You're not choosing just for you, you're choosing for other people that share the air around you while you're smoking.

You have the right to smoke, and other people have the right to not breath in your smoke. I see both sides.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk