Donald Lee? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Donald Lee?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Donald Lee?

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:04 pm

Is this guy the next "big thing" at TE? Since he signed that contract, he's got 3 touchdowns, a bunch of yards and a ton of looks from Favre. He's been a great pickup for me as I was unbelievably weak at TE, and I doubt after today he'll be on any waiver wire (if he's even on it now). Where is he going to get taken next year in relation to other TEs?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Donald Lee?

Postby Atog » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:17 pm

If Favre retires, his value is going to take a hit. Right now it looks more like he's benefiting from playing with a good team and less like he's a pro bowl-quality TE.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:16 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:Is this guy the next "big thing" at TE? Since he signed that contract, he's got 3 touchdowns, a bunch of yards and a ton of looks from Favre. He's been a great pickup for me as I was unbelievably weak at TE, and I doubt after today he'll be on any waiver wire (if he's even on it now). Where is he going to get taken next year in relation to other TEs?

Teams are letting him stay open all day long in the middle because they are covering Driver, Jennings, and Jones.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby skibrett15 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:35 pm

He is probably option 3a or 3b depending on the game behind jennings and driver. I just don't think that when the packers play more legitimate teams and defenses that he will have these type of games. Favre has been spreading the wealth quite well this year. And with the 4 and 5 wide sets working so well I think Lee is a crapshoot week to week. He was always a factor and gets 40-50 yards, so if that is good enough, then yeah, start him, but the TDs are mostly happenstance. He could easily not catch a TD the rest of the season.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AllDay » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:47 am

I doubt he is the next big thing at TE, but he is certainly serviceable.

I don't really believe he is being left open because teams are deathly afraid of Driver Jennings and Jones. None of those guys really strikes fear into an opposing team.

They do have this Farve (sp?) guy at QB though, and he seems to be OK.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:27 am

Couldn't agree less with AllDay.

The pack scores on the pass. Driver has historically drawn double coverage, because he IS a top flight receiver. Jennings scares teams PLENTY, considering that it's Favre throwing to him. Jones is a WR3.

Lee is absolutely open because teams are stuck doubling Jennings or Driver (depending on the play) and focusing attention on the other, It necessarily means that if Driver and Jennings and Jones are well covered, Lee is going to be open more often than not.

That doesn't mean he's the next Gates. But this year, with this year's Green Bay offense, Lee is now startable over several more recognized talents.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm not sure why we need to "strike fear" into the defense, when we have the best passing attack in the league (as of week 10 in yardage, last night could have been the tipping point for the pats). Our 1,2,3 wrs can hang with anyone in the league, and our no. 4 and 5 are the best at their respective positions. The bengals and patriots have great wideouts, but the packers are right behind them.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby AllDay » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:22 pm

FatFoot wrote:Couldn't agree less with AllDay.

The pack scores on the pass. Driver has historically drawn double coverage, because he IS a top flight receiver. Jennings scares teams PLENTY, considering that it's Favre throwing to him. Jones is a WR3.

Lee is absolutely open because teams are stuck doubling Jennings or Driver (depending on the play) and focusing attention on the other, It necessarily means that if Driver and Jennings and Jones are well covered, Lee is going to be open more often than not.

That doesn't mean he's the next Gates. But this year, with this year's Green Bay offense, Lee is now startable over several more recognized talents.

Well when even one of those GB WR's is in the top 10 in yards (hell, they need to break the top 20 to this point) maybe I'll believe the opponent 'fears' them.

Until then, they are just a decent group of WR's. The reason for Lee's success is Favre.

Teams often choose to double cover a teams best WR, so claiming 'double coverage = top flight WR' is a bit simplistic. DJ Hackett faces double coverage. I guess DJ is now a top flight WR that teams 'fear'.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Popcynical » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:37 pm

Jennings is tied for 6th place in receiving TDs with 7. Favre spreads the ball around, so that's why we have no top 10 receivers for yards.

Lee is just another option that Favre has to go to should there be a good matchup with the defense.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:32 pm

AllDay wrote:Well when even one of those GB WR's is in the top 10 in yards (hell, they need to break the top 20 to this point) maybe I'll believe the opponent 'fears' them.

Donald Driver is currently 20th in yards. And he's been top 10 for the last 3 years. He could still potentially pull that off this year, but Favre is spreading the ball around like he hasn't for a long time. It's a statement of the quality of ALL of their WRs, because they're ALL making plays.

You are making the mistake of rating WRs based on FF, and not football. Teams don't fear Randy Moss. They fear the fact that the Patriots have 3 playmaking WRs and a great QB. Favre isn't throwing as many touchdowns as Brady is, but he's spreading the ball around even more, which has been their formula for winning this year. One great FF WR doesn't give you a winning team.

It's the passing game teams are forced to respect, and the Packers have playmakers ALL THROUGH the passing game. For the first 5 weeks of the season, Bubba Franks was used almost as much in the passing game as Donald Lee. If not for that, his numbers would probably be even better. Regardless, he's ranked 11 in standard fantasy scoring. I bet you he ends up in the top 7 or 8.

Until then, they are just a decent group of WR's. The reason for Lee's success is Favre.

I want you to think about what you're saying. The reason for ANY good WR's success is that the QB throws to him. Winslow's a bit better this year with Anderson than he was last year with Frye, too, right? But he's not skilled... it's all Anderson. Look at Driver's performance since he's been in the league. I made that argument, that he wasn't that good, a couple of years ago, and the numbers proved me wrong. Driver is a top tier WR. Jennings is a low WR1 to good WR2 in a 12 team league. Jones is new, and even HE is still playable.

Listen, I hate the pack, but I'm not going to pretend that they aren't STACKED at WR, and that they don't have one of the greatest QBs in the history of the game.

Teams often choose to double cover a teams best WR, so claiming 'double coverage = top flight WR' is a bit simplistic. DJ Hackett faces double coverage. I guess DJ is now a top flight WR that teams 'fear'.

No, Driver is a top flight WR because he's been in the top 10 WRs for yardage for the last 3 years. And that trend has been working UPWARD... 2004 he was 8th, 2005 he was 6th, and 2006 he was 5th.

And with the way Hass is playing, your willingness to blow Hackett off is probably a mistake in and of itself.
Last edited by FatFoot on Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk