Can Randy Moss break the TD receptions record? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can Randy Moss break the TD receptions record?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can Randy Moss break the TD receptions record?

Postby jcde7ago » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:24 pm

The record for most TD receptions in a single season is held by Jerry Rice, catching 22 TD passes in a span of only 12 games.

Through 9 games, Randy Moss has 16 TD catches, and technically he is on pace to shatter 22 in a single season and could even break that mark through the 12 game mark.

Any thoughts/over-unders on if Randy Moss is going to break the record, by how many games in, and how many TD's total at the end of the year?

I am absolutely thrilled at the thought of having a QB who's going to break the single season TD passing record and his receiver who will potentially break the TD receptions record on my fantasy teams. ;-D
10-Team Yahoo! Keeper League: TheYayArea (in 3rd Year now) 11-0!

Starters:

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson, Marshawn Lynch
W/R: Marion Barber III
TE: Chris Cooley
K: Shayne Graham
D: Pittsburgh
jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can Randy Moss break the TD receptions record?

Postby russellzisky » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:25 pm

Moss will get there, no problem.
russellzisky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby drmoses » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:48 pm

He may get there. If he doesn't get there in 12 though the record will have to have an asterisk.
Steve Young is Jesus...
drmoses
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 11)

Postby russellzisky » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:21 am

The 12-game thing would be cool, but I'm sure Moss will break Rice's single-season record regardless.
russellzisky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby drmoses » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:04 am

He'll get the record but any knowledgeable fan will know Rice had the better year. Imagine what Jerry would have had that season if they got in 16 games. He might have hit 30.

Moss is a great player and it will be a nice accolade for him but I can already here the annoying Patriot fans who will start proclaiming him as the greatest of all-time when in reality he is not even close.
Steve Young is Jesus...
drmoses
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 11)

Postby XHendrix » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:30 am

drmoses wrote:He'll get the record but any knowledgeable fan will know Rice had the better year. Imagine what Jerry would have had that season if they got in 16 games. He might have hit 30.

Moss is a great player and it will be a nice accolade for him but I can already here the annoying Patriot fans who will start proclaiming him as the greatest of all-time when in reality he is not even close.

not even close? Have you seen him play? Jerry played 20 seasons randy is working on his 11'th. I think it's far fetched to say that moss will be healthy for 9 more years, but if he's healthy for 4 or 5 more years, he may put up a fight for jerry's TD record.
XHendrix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:58 am

Watching him this year has been a pleasure. He is still uncoverable one-on one. In the Bills game one of his TD's came against a safety (37) 1 on 1. I'm not really sure why anyone would ever want to leave him in single-coverage, but as long as people are doing that Moss will continue on his pace to break the record.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SniperShot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:28 am

I don't think the question is CAN, it's WHEN will the Patriots (And Moss) break just about any single season passing record kept...

There is nothing that will slow them down. A Brady injury would hurt big time but he's hardly even getting touched by an opposing defense the Patriots O-Line is playing that good.

wouldn't it be something if Brady keeps on this pace and throws for 60 TD's this season? Wow that would be downright awesome. If they stay on pace Moss will easily break the TD receptions record by a mile.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby thedude » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:51 am

Jerry Rice is still the best receiver in history, but I'm afraid his record won't last much longer. Moss would be even closer to it, if he and Brady didn't sit out almost ever 4th quarter.
thedude
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby TheGhost76777 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

drmoses wrote:He'll get the record but any knowledgeable fan will know Rice had the better year. Imagine what Jerry would have had that season if they got in 16 games. He might have hit 30.

Wow....really? Not even close? When its all said and done, Moss will probably go down as the best receiver of all-time. I think he will break all Rice's records. The guy is only 30 or 31 years old. I don't see why he can't play another 5, 6, 7 years.
TheGhost76777
Monday Morning Quarterback

Next

Return to Football Talk