Can Randy Moss break the TD receptions record? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can Randy Moss break the TD receptions record?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Can Randy Moss break the TD receptions record?

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

thedude wrote:Jerry Rice is still the best receiver in history, but I'm afraid his record won't last much longer. Moss would be even closer to it, if he and Brady didn't sit out almost ever 4th quarter.

This is the thing to keep in mind. I keep seeing people hollering "if he can't do it in 12 games then it doesn't really count", but how much gametime has he missed simply because the score is so out of hand he doesn't even play a significant amount of the 4th quarter. I count at least a full game's worth of time the Pats either had the dogs called off or Brady and Moss were simply not playing.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby zevon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:35 am

Azrael wrote:
thedude wrote:Jerry Rice is still the best receiver in history, but I'm afraid his record won't last much longer. Moss would be even closer to it, if he and Brady didn't sit out almost ever 4th quarter.

This is the thing to keep in mind. I keep seeing people hollering "if he can't do it in 12 games then it doesn't really count", but how much gametime has he missed simply because the score is so out of hand he doesn't even play a significant amount of the 4th quarter. I count at least a full game's worth of time the Pats either had the dogs called off or Brady and Moss were simply not playing.

Not much doubt in my mind that Moss could have had a couple more in the second half of Sunday's game to break the single game TD record. I think if Brady and Moss want to break Rice's record in 12 games, they can.
Of course if a couple of them came in garbage time, they'd be accused of running it up in pursuit of a personal record...

I think Belichick still has the team concept first, winning games is his priority, period. But as much as players and coaches toe the party line with "the only thing that matters is winning" , they also have a sense of history. I find it very hard to believe that anyone who has a legit shot at breaking an all time record really doesn't care about it.

Breaking records = $$$$$$$$, which I guarantee every player in the NFL cares a whole lot about.
zevon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScrappyDoo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 am

It's pretty amazing that 5 years from now we are going to look back and say, "I watched the best QB in NFL history, throwing to the best WR in NFL history, for the best team in NFL history."

Mark my words.

Moss will probably end with 25 TD's, Brady loves to target him and the way they putting up points I can't see this not happening.
ScrappyDoo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:15 am

ScrappyDoo wrote:It's pretty amazing that 5 years from now we are going to look back and say, "I watched the best QB in NFL history, throwing to the best WR in NFL history, for the best team in NFL history."

Mark my words.

Moss will probably end with 25 TD's, Brady loves to target him and the way they putting up points I can't see this not happening.
True and I agree, but you know something scary?

We could still be saying it in 5 years. Brady and Moss are both only 30. 8-o
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:10 pm

Equaling or breaking Rice's single season record within the 12 games is going to be close; we'll just have to see. I do think it's something that Brady, Belichick, and the Patriots want for Moss. The guy hasn't gotten a lot of respect in recent years, and you can't help respecting an achievement like that. The Pats aren't just saying, "We're going to throw the ball," they're saying, "We're going to throw the ball to Moss." You can talk about him scoring easily against single coverage, but the truth is he's done just about as well in triple coverage. Instead of trying to tear down the Moss ego (which the media seemed to think was the key to making him a better player) Belichick is pumping nitrous oxide into that super-charged ego. "The ball is going to you; we know you'll catch it." This has worked in Dallas with T.O. too. "Go ahead and pull your stunts; just win us games." I think more teams should build up their players. When Quinn finally comes into a game for the Browns, I'd have the "Mighty Quinn" playing at full volume when he takes the field and any time he scores. Football is a sport, it's entertainment. We might not want it to devolve into pro wrestling, but it's supposed to be fun.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby drmoses » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:08 am

ScrappyDoo wrote:It's pretty amazing that 5 years from now we are going to look back and say, "I watched the best QB in NFL history, throwing to the best WR in NFL history, for the best team in NFL history."

Mark my words.

You're right. I did watch Montana to Rice... That was something.
Steve Young is Jesus...
drmoses
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 11)

Postby ampant » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:43 am

He may break Rice's records, but he will still lack class.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:17 am

After watching their 49ers offense sputter for years, montana and rice will mount a come back and score 30 tds in one season.

but i was a cowboys fan in the 90s....deion sanders will be back to shut down rice and the cowboys knock off the 49ers in the NFC champ game :-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Carnac » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:58 am

Moss will surely break the season td record if he stays healthy. If Brady and Moss keep this up for 4 or 5 more years then you can put Moss in the Rice catagory. Until then, Rice is the best WR that has ever played. And an argument can be made he is the best at any position.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Football Talk