Just Bought an HDTV - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Just Bought an HDTV

Moderator: Football Moderators

Just Bought an HDTV

Postby sox 06 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:20 pm

I just bought an HDTV and I have a question, is it normal for the cable picture to be a bit fuzzy? We don't have digital or HD cable because the TV is in my room and not the living room, but shouldn't the picture still look pretty good? I've played my Xbox on it (one of the reasons why I got it) and that looks great. I'v tried messing around with the settings but am I just wasting my time?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just Bought an HDTV

Postby josebach » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:33 pm

sox 06 wrote:I just bought an HDTV and I have a question, is it normal for the cable picture to be a bit fuzzy? We don't have digital or HD cable because the TV is in my room and not the living room, but shouldn't the picture still look pretty good? I've played my Xbox on it (one of the reasons why I got it) and that looks great. I'v tried messing around with the settings but am I just wasting my time?

If it's an analog signal you're watching, then "yes" it could very well look fuzzy. Remember, the picture is only going to look as good as the signal being sent to it... no matter how good your tv is. The signal your X-Box is sending to the TV is a high definition signal. The signal coming from the cable out of the wall isn't. If you get a cable box and start receiving the digital channels and Hi-Def channels, you'll see a huge difference, however, even with a cable box the analog channels will still be mediocre.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by josebach on Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:35 pm

josebach wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I just bought an HDTV and I have a question, is it normal for the cable picture to be a bit fuzzy? We don't have digital or HD cable because the TV is in my room and not the living room, but shouldn't the picture still look pretty good? I've played my Xbox on it (one of the reasons why I got it) and that looks great. I'v tried messing around with the settings but am I just wasting my time?

If it's an analog signal you're watching, then "yes" it could very well look fuzzy. Remember, the picture is only going to look as good as the signal being sent to it... no matter how good your tv is. The signal your X-Box is sending to the TV is a high definition signal. The signal coming from the cable out of the wall isn't.

Hope this helps.

Alright, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:47 pm

You may want to look into a signal booster. Depending on the type of cable running inside your house you could be getting a degraded signal that way. If you hook up a booster somewhere close to your TV that could help the signal. But JB is right - analog cable is never going to be that "pretty" on your HD TV.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:20 pm

knapplc wrote:You may want to look into a signal booster. Depending on the type of cable running inside your house you could be getting a degraded signal that way. If you hook up a booster somewhere close to your TV that could help the signal. But JB is right - analog cable is never going to be that "pretty" on your HD TV.

I've never heard of that before, I'll have to look into it.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:00 pm

knapplc wrote:You may want to look into a signal booster. Depending on the type of cable running inside your house you could be getting a degraded signal that way. If you hook up a booster somewhere close to your TV that could help the signal. But JB is right - analog cable is never going to be that "pretty" on your HD TV.

It could help but it could also hurt. It depends on why the signal is weak. If you amplify a bad signal, you could make it worse. I would get an HD box from my provider and work from there.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby treat24 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:08 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

It could help but it could also hurt. It depends on why the signal is weak. If you amplify a bad signal, you could make it worse. I would get an HD box from my provider and work from there.

yep yep, I was gonna post just about the same thing. Lo is definitely the guy to talk to on this one. ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby 5 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Yes I would strongly consider an HD box from your provider. You have the HDTV, you might as well take advantage.
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby sox 06 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:42 pm

5 wrote:Yes I would strongly consider an HD box from your provider. You have the HDTV, you might as well take advantage.

If I were to get the HD box, would I need to sign up for HD cable? I'm new and dumb when it comes down to HD stuff !+)
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:45 pm

sox 06 wrote:
5 wrote:Yes I would strongly consider an HD box from your provider. You have the HDTV, you might as well take advantage.

If I were to get the HD box, would I need to sign up for HD cable? I'm new and dumb when it comes down to HD stuff !+)

depends on your cab;e company, but most likely...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Next

Return to General Talk