Just Bought an HDTV - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Just Bought an HDTV

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Just Bought an HDTV

Postby josebach » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:28 am

scottaa1 wrote:*whistles* 4 inch screen, AND a cassette deck? Is that a one-band graphic equalizer I see? .

jealous :^
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:32 am

josebach wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:*whistles* 4 inch screen, AND a cassette deck? Is that a one-band graphic equalizer I see? .

I'll trade you mine :-b
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:49 am

sox 06 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I think I might have figured out part of the problem with the poor cable signal, my splitter. I need a splitter in my room because I have the TV and the computer with the internet. Maybe buying a better quality splitter would improve the picture slightly?

Quality of splitter definitely matters but I would also look at the quality of wire, length of run, fittings, and whether it is split at any other location. Whenever possible, you want the most direct run. If you use Radio Shack equipment, I will be forced to beat you. :-D

I was also thinking of the quality of cable. I don't think its split anywhere else because we had electricians run the wire and they installed the cable plug-in on the wall (Instead of me and my dad running the cable through holes in the floors, down through the basement and up through another hole like we did at our old house :-b ). I think my parents are going to call the cable company because the picture is rather fuzzy on all of the TVs in our house. Maybe the line that hooks up to the outside of the house needs to be replaced :-?

You can try a signal booster. :-?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:49 am

josebach wrote:Check this out!

Nice. I stand corrected. :-D
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:52 am

scottaa1 wrote:
josebach wrote:

Sweet, here's my backup system that's not as good as the one I just posted. I thought I posted a picture here before, but haven't been able to find it yet. I'll keep looking.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=251535&p=1745444&hilit=home+theater#p1745444

*edit* forgot the link, duh
Last edited by josebach on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:56 am

sox 06 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I think I might have figured out part of the problem with the poor cable signal, my splitter. I need a splitter in my room because I have the TV and the computer with the internet. Maybe buying a better quality splitter would improve the picture slightly?

Quality of splitter definitely matters but I would also look at the quality of wire, length of run, fittings, and whether it is split at any other location. Whenever possible, you want the most direct run. If you use Radio Shack equipment, I will be forced to beat you. :-D

I was also thinking of the quality of cable. I don't think its split anywhere else because we had electricians run the wire and they installed the cable plug-in on the wall (Instead of me and my dad running the cable through holes in the floors, down through the basement and up through another hole like we did at our old house :-b ). I think my parents are going to call the cable company because the picture is rather fuzzy on all of the TVs in our house. Maybe the line that hooks up to the outside of the house needs to be replaced :-?

That sounds like a wall plate. They look nice and all but, when you think about it, they can actually cause some slight signal loss. That's because you are disrupting a direct connection from the cable to the box/TV. If everything else is fine (wire, fittings, etc.), that shouldn't matter, though. As for the picture being fuzzy, it could be something technical or it could just be the fact that we are living in an HDTV world and you have analog cable. That is a huge difference.

beanoX3 wrote:You can try a signal booster. :-?

This was discussed on page 1 (I believe). Sometimes, a booster actually hurts depending on what is causing the problem.
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby sox 06 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:01 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
sox 06 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Quality of splitter definitely matters but I would also look at the quality of wire, length of run, fittings, and whether it is split at any other location. Whenever possible, you want the most direct run. If you use Radio Shack equipment, I will be forced to beat you. :-D

That sounds like a wall plate. They look nice and all but, when you think about it, they can actually cause some slight signal loss. That's because you are disrupting a direct connection from the cable to the box/TV. If everything else is fine (wire, fittings, etc.), that shouldn't matter, though. As for the picture being fuzzy, it could be something technical or it could just be the fact that we are living in an HDTV world and you have analog cable. That is a huge difference.

beanoX3 wrote:You can try a signal booster. :-?

This was discussed on page 1 (I believe). Sometimes, a booster actually hurts depending on what is causing the problem.

It is a wall plate, I just couldn't think of the name of it !+)
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:06 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
josebach wrote:

Just checked that thread out and this post stood out to me:

1crzydmnd wrote:A friend of mine at work was talking about the plasma he got and said they run REALLY hot. Makes sense though...probably why they don't last long.

Plasmas don't last long?? Sure, they have their issues but that tag sure has stuck. It is a nonfactor.
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby sox 06 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
1crzydmnd wrote:A friend of mine at work was talking about the plasma he got and said they run REALLY hot. Makes sense though...probably why they don't last long.

Plasmas don't last long?? Sure, they have their issues but that tag sure has stuck. It is a nonfactor.

My LCD seems to run pretty hot, is this something to worry about?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:17 pm

sox 06 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

My LCD seems to run pretty hot, is this something to worry about?

Unless you can fry an egg on it, I wouldn't be too concerned. Back to the original issue, I would just get an HD box. There is a good chance that you will be fine with that.
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk