Just Bought an HDTV - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Just Bought an HDTV

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Just Bought an HDTV

Postby treat24 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:34 pm

sox 06 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
1crzydmnd wrote:A friend of mine at work was talking about the plasma he got and said they run REALLY hot. Makes sense though...probably why they don't last long.

Plasmas don't last long?? Sure, they have their issues but that tag sure has stuck. It is a nonfactor.

My LCD seems to run pretty hot, is this something to worry about?

Neither of mine run hot AT ALL... like Lo said... unless it's scalding, you shouldn't worry too much
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby sox 06 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:53 pm

treat24 wrote:Neither of mine run hot AT ALL... like Lo said... unless it's scalding, you shouldn't worry too much

Its by no means scalding, but I have noticed that when I put my hand close to the screen it feels quite warm, but that's probably normal.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:30 pm

sox 06 wrote:
treat24 wrote:Neither of mine run hot AT ALL... like Lo said... unless it's scalding, you shouldn't worry too much

Its by no means scalding, but I have noticed that when I put my hand close to the screen it feels quite warm, but that's probably normal.

I've noticed that on mine too sox, i don't think it's anything to worry about.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby sox 06 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:30 pm

The "extra" HD channels that I get look great but why don't channels such as NESN HD or ESPN HD look any better? Is it just because they are on the regular non-HD cable signal?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:33 pm

sox 06 wrote:The "extra" HD channels that I get look great but why don't channels such as NESN HD or ESPN HD look any better? Is it just because they are on the regular non-HD cable signal?

my espn HD looks light years better than my normal HD...

and to the other two... neither mine, nor my brother in laws, nor my buddies (total of 5 LCDs) run hot... just so you know...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby sox 06 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:38 pm

treat24 wrote:
sox 06 wrote:The "extra" HD channels that I get look great but why don't channels such as NESN HD or ESPN HD look any better? Is it just because they are on the regular non-HD cable signal?

and to the other two... neither mine, nor my brother in laws, nor my buddies (total of 5 LCDs) run hot... just so you know...

The HD channels (in the 100's for me) look great but the HD channels in the regular channel range for my cable (channels 1-80) don't look any better. I don't think mine runs all that hot, I think its just me worrying about my new purchase.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:23 pm

sox 06 wrote:
treat24 wrote:

The HD channels (in the 100's for me) look great but the HD channels in the regular channel range for my cable (channels 1-80) don't look any better. I don't think mine runs all that hot, I think its just me worrying about my new purchase.

Your 1 - 80 is an up convert to HD, it's not actually HD. You'll need a box to get those channels as HD. Only your channels with a Decimal Point are HD without a cable box. All of my channels in the 100's are Decimal channels therefore they are all HD.
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby sox 06 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:38 pm

RiffRaff wrote:Your 1 - 80 is an up convert to HD, it's not actually HD. You'll need a box to get those channels as HD. Only your channels with a Decimal Point are HD without a cable box. All of my channels in the 100's are Decimal channels therefore they are all HD.

I think I understand it now, thanks ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:46 pm

RiffRaff wrote:Your 1 - 80 is an up convert to HD, it's not actually HD. You'll need a box to get those channels as HD. Only your channels with a Decimal Point are HD without a cable box. All of my channels in the 100's are Decimal channels therefore they are all HD.

when you're talking about these decimal channels, what are you selecting as the input that allows you to enter decimal channels? are you using rabbit ears for the on-board tuner and then the tv scans channels, or what?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:31 pm

scottaa1 wrote:

when you're talking about these decimal channels, what are you selecting as the input that allows you to enter decimal channels? are you using rabbit ears for the on-board tuner and then the tv scans channels, or what?

There is a digital scan for cable and over-the-air. Or you can type in each possible decimal channel with the remote and it will remember if there is something on that channel, but that takes way too long. :-t
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk