Man Kills Neighbor's Burglars - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Man Kills Neighbor's Burglars

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Man Kills Neighbor's Burglars

Postby houstonherdfan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:23 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I really don't know why I continually do it. I know how to spell the word, and I generally notice it when someone else spells it wrong, but for whatever reason, I always use the 'o' in place of the 'a'. Odd. There's a couple other words that I always spell wrong, too.

I'm like that with several words too, I seem to recall from my Psych 201 class there's a fancy term for it.

Is there any update on the case? Given how slowly the legal system moves probably not.

UPDATE:

Yesterday, Quanell X staged a protest march in the guy's neighborhood. As the local paper said several hundred neighbors came out in support of the homeowner. Inckluding a few motorcycle enthusiasts who every time Mr. X started to speak they revved up the bikes a drowned him out.

http://www.chron.com

Find it in the local section

Pasadena riot police were onsite but no physical confrontation.

The case has been turned over to the Harris county district attorney's office. A decision will be made within the next 7-10 days. If I were a betting man, he will get charged but not convicted of anything that would require jail time. Maybe something along the lines of discharging a firearm within the city limits.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:42 pm

HOUSTON — Protesters critical of a homeowner who fatally shot two suspected burglars were confronted by hundreds of the man's supporters during a rally on the street where the killings occurred.

Yard signs declaring support for Joe Horn, 61, lined nearby streets Sunday in the Pasadena neighborhood where Miguel Antonio DeJesus, 38, and Diego Ortiz, 30, were killed Nov. 14.

Horn's supporters parked motorcycles along the block Sunday and jeered protesters who called for Horn to be prosecuted. The supporters waved American flags and hoisted signs reading, "We love our neighbor for protecting our neighbors" and "Burglary is a risky business."
Police officers in riot gear monitored the activities, but no arrests were made.

Horn's attorney has said his client believed the two men had broken into his neighbor's home and that he shot them only when they came into his yard and threatened him.

But that description is partly at odds with Horn's call to 911 in which Horn threatens to kill the men despite the dispatcher's urging that Horn stay inside his house.

"I support our rights as Americans to protect ourselves and support our Second Amendment rights," said Aaron Morrow, 43, one of dozens of bikers who revved their engines each time activist Quanell X attempted to speak.

Quanell X has said that Horn, who is white, should be charged with murder for shooting DeJesus and Ortiz, who were black. After Sunday's counter-protest, he said he doesn't know if the shootings were racially motivated but said he "wouldn't be surprised."

The families of the shooting victims were present Sunday.

"Our position is that we do not condone their actions. We condemn their actions," Quanell X said. "But Horn acted as police officer, judge, jury and executioner all at the same time."

Michelle Howell, who lives down the street from Horn, said she was in disbelief that the event had taken on racial overtones.

"First of all, this is a quiet place, secondly we've got neighbors of all different races. This has nothing to do with race," she said.

Maritza Munoz marched with the members of the New Black Panther Nation.

"Yes, they broke into people's houses, but it wasn't his right to kill them. What he (Horn) did was criminal," she said.

Horn has not been charged in the case. Pasadena police spokesman Vance Mitchell said the department will turn over its case to the Harris County District Attorney's Office in seven to 10 days. From there it is expected to be presented to a grand jury.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/5346880.html

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:09 am

well, there goes 1 more. soon the robbers will realize than houston is not the place to be.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5378504.html
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:54 am

houstonherdfan wrote:well, there goes 1 more. soon the robbers will realize than houston is not the place to be.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5378504.html

Suspected burglar fatally shot at Harris County home

By KEVIN MORAN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

A southwest Harris County homeowner shot and killed a man he discovered climbing into a window of his house at about 2:15 a.m. today, investigators said.

Steven Dunbar, who apparently lived several blocks away, died in the window of the home in the 3400 block of Cascadia, Harris County sheriff's homicide Det. Rolf Nelson said.

The 33-year-old homeowner, Damon Barone, was asleep in the house with his wife, a son, 6, and an infant daughter when he heard a loud noise, Nelson said.

"The homeowner says he heard a loud noise, possibly a gunshot, that startled him out of bed," Nelson said. "As he got up, he said he heard another loud noise and he said the house was shaking."

Carrying a pistol, Barone was on his way to investigate the noises when he heard glass breaking in a bedroom.

"When he entered that bedroom, he said he saw a burglar coming through a broken window," Nelson said. "He shot several times and struck the burglar several times, killing him at the scene."

Deputies found a screen door on the back of the house torn from its metal frame, Nelson said.

"He's got a pretty extensive criminal record of felonies over the last 13 years," Nelson said of Dunbar, 44. "He has at least 12 arrests for felonies and a half-dozen convictions. We don't know if he was intent on some other crime or if it was a burglary for something he could turn into money."

The area around the shooting scene was taped off by deputies at about 3 a.m. and the homeowner was not available for comment.

The home is in the Forest View subdivision near the intersection of FM 1093 and Addicks-Clodine.

Nelson declined to say exactly how many times Dunbar was shot and where the bullets hit him.

The case is expected to be referred to a Harris County grand jury without charges, Nelson said.

If the shooting occurred as Barone described it, Texas law allowing people to defend their homes from intruders likely will preclude the filing of charges. Today's home-invasion fatality appears more clear-cut than that involving Pasadena resident Joe Horn, who shot two men last month as they emerged after apparently breaking into his neighbor's home.

Horn, 61, is being investigated for the Nov. 14 shootings in front of his home in the 7400 block of Timberline Drive. The two men, Diego Ortiz, 30, and Hernando Riascos Torres, 48, are suspected of breaking into Horn's neighbor's home in the middle of the afternoon.

The two, Colombian citizens who were in this country illegally, were confronted by Horn in his front yard after a police dispatcher told Horn not to go outside with his shotgun. Police said both men were shot in the back and died at the scene.

After investigators left the site of this morning's shooting, Barone did not answer knocks at his door.

Records show that Dunbar lived about three blocks away in the 15700 block of Wingdale. No one answered at that home, although two cars were parked in the driveway.

About noon, Belcio Rodriguez, 22, arrived at his parents' home across the street from Barone's on Cascadia. He said he lived with his parents in the neighborhood until two years ago and that his family was frightened by the shooting.

``We need more security,'' he said, referring to police patrols.
Rodriguez said the shooting was disturbing, but that people have a right to protect themselves and their property.

``We have to protect the family,'' he said.

A screen door that was ripped out of a sliding glass door frame could be seen leaning against the back of the home.

2 things:

#1. No loss. Extensive criminal record. 12 felony arrests. This guy shouldn't have even been on the streets. Good riddance.

#2. The two guys Horn shot were here illegally? I didn't know that. Now I definitely and without question don't believe he should be charged with ANY crime whatsoever. Not only did they break the law by breaking into someone's home, but they broke the law being anywhere in the country! Charging him with anything would be so extremely absurd that it would be funny. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:17 am

Ok, even though I don't think the first guy should be charged with a crime, I still have to admit that there are some questions and some gray areas with that situation. That second story, not so. Open and shut it seems to me. If my wife were in the house I would do the same thing, much less my kid and an infant.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:26 am

Madison wrote:
#1. No loss. Extensive criminal record. 12 felony arrests. This guy shouldn't have even been on the streets. Good riddance.

Maybe they should've gotten a 13th chance ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:31 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Madison wrote:

Maybe they should've gotten a 13th chance ;-7

That was his 13th chance. :-b He blew it. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

Previous

Return to General Talk