Tanking for playoff matchup? Unethical? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tanking for playoff matchup? Unethical?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Tanking for playoff matchup? Unethical?

Postby ampant » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:01 am

I tend to agree with draft-dodger, especially with his comparison to NFL teams sitting stars in RL because they have a playoff spot locked up.

It sucks for the people it sucks for, but the team is doing it because it is in the rules, and because it serves their own best interests. If you were tanking to help another team, that would be collussion/cheating/lame/unethical. But in this case you would be trying to dodge a train. You aren't trying to help anybody else, just like a real NFL team isn't trying to help anybody else by sitting their stars in week 17.

It's the fantasy equivalent of patient running, you are slowing down to follow your lead blocker instead of hitting the hole as hard as you can.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:30 pm

i'm going to go with totally unethical...we have fines in the leagues i play in (not all that heavy, but the point gets across) for anyone playing an obviously less than optimal lineup

all i can say is if you tank i hope next year you're one of those bubble teams fighting for the final playoff spot and the guy you're chasing gets to play a tanker for an easy W...might put things in perspective for you
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kev0ut » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:55 pm

To quote Friday Night Lights - "we don't win games, we win seasons."

I say, screw "ethics" - it's a game of half luck anyway and you have to put yourself in the best position possible to win.
kev0ut
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ampant » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:54 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm going to go with totally unethical...we have fines in the leagues i play in (not all that heavy, but the point gets across) for anyone playing an obviously less than optimal lineup

all i can say is if you tank i hope next year you're one of those bubble teams fighting for the final playoff spot and the guy you're chasing gets to play a tanker for an easy W...might put things in perspective for you

Is it unethical when a team sits their starters in real-life because they already have a playoff spot locked up? When teams trot their second-stringers in week 17, they do so to ensure that they have the best possible situation in the playoffs. When you start a lesser lineup here, you do so for the same reason.

I think it's different if you are tanking so a buddy can get to the playoffs. I understand the whole "spirit of competition" thing, but I think your first priority is to set yourself up to get as far into the playoffs as possible. If ensuring that some random opponent has a tough game one week decreases your chances of making it to the championship, I think it's fine to put the interests of your team before that of the team fighting your random opponent for a playoff spot.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Kilroy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:49 am

Tanking in Fantasy Football For any reason (playoff seeding, better pick in next year's draft, whatever) is beyond weak sauce.

Any owner in any league that I commish that tanked a game wouldn't be in that league next year...period. :-t

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:17 am

To the guys who say the NFL does it....think about what you are saying. Ben is tanking for a better playoff matchup not to keep his guys from getting hurt. 2 totally different scenarios and reasons for doing it.

I have a team that has already clinched. I changed my name to Relentless and continue pummeling the chumpstains in my league. I never tank games period. Ruins the league because it is not just the person tanking that is affected. You might cause someone unexpected to win and make it over a better team or simply piss people off.

Last year I was in a league with a situation like that. If I lost the guy I lost to with a horrible team is my opponent in wk 1 of the playoffs. I played it straight and lost anyway being matched up with the same horrible team I was hoping to be matched up against. That horrible team doubled me up. You look at the 2 teams and there is just no way I lose. No namers stepped up big for the guy and my team (the 2nd best team in the league) gets crushed. Funny but had I played anyone else I would have moved on to the second round.

There is no rule against trying out some players you rarely use but don't pull your team. Cheap in my opinion.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby benb18a » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:52 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
I have a team that has already clinched. You might cause someone unexpected to win and make it over a better team or simply piss people off.

There is no rule against trying out some players you rarely use but don't pull your team. Cheap in my opinion.

That's the thing. I have my three divisional opponents left to play, who are eliminated(atleast 3.5 games behind with 3 to go) so whoever I lose to still has zero chance of making the postseason.

I'm not pulling my players, just playing less than optimal matchups to increase the odds of remaining the #2 seed. The two Patriot filled juggernauts have already clinched the playoffs, and the #3 seed is still to be decided, but will finish with no more than 8 wins.

BTW I chose to play Dallas over NY Giants, and CJ2 over Burress because I had legitimate excuses; looks like that backfired so far :-B

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:32 pm

benb18a wrote:That's the thing. I have my three divisional opponents left to play, who are eliminated(atleast 3.5 games behind with 3 to go) so whoever I lose to still has zero chance of making the postseason.

I'm not pulling my players, just playing less than optimal matchups to increase the odds of remaining the #2 seed. The two Patriot filled juggernauts have already clinched the playoffs, and the #3 seed is still to be decided, but will finish with no more than 8 wins.

BTW I chose to play Dallas over NY Giants, and CJ2 over Burress because I had legitimate excuses; looks like that backfired so far :-B

If it won't harm anyone then I don't see a problem with it. This type of thing is a sticky situation. If you allow it people will eventually push the rules to the limit. My league pays out for high points of the week $10 so there is money on the table every week.

Tanking in my opinion is taking everyone out of your lineup. I feel you should at least field a lineup and if it is less than optimal then so be it.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:05 pm

I would rather not win than be called a b*tch. There is a ton of luck involved with FF. Just play your guys, make your team the best, and see what happens. I could see this tanking crap working against you in almost a 50-50 rate. I mean you tank, play the guy you think has a weaker team and his team explodes and you lose. BUT not only do you lose but its your fault that you didnt play the team that you should have played that scored 50 points that week. I just dont think its cool or a very efficient way to insure your victory. This is supposed to be fun guys.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kilroy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:09 pm

Intentionally fielding players who you feel will score fewer points than players you leave on your bench is every bit as bad as fielding no lineup at all.

Generally speaking, if you have to ask (yourself or anyone else) whether something is "ethical" or not, then you already know damn well that it isn't.

Tanking is chickens**t and bad juju, and if you choose/chose to do so then I wholeheartedly hope it comes back to bite you.

Play to win. This week. Every Week. ;-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk