Tanking for playoff matchup? Unethical? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tanking for playoff matchup? Unethical?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Tanking for playoff matchup? Unethical?

Postby Pats4four » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:59 pm

It's not unethical and it's not cheating. As far as I'm concerned, tanking is fine and I wouldn't be annoyed if someone was to do it. You trying to give yourself the best chance of winning and if that means losing a few games in order to give yourself an easier route through the playoffs then that's cool. The problem is that nothing is absolutely concrete in FF and you may lose to one of the 'weaker' teams in the playoffs but that's the risk you take.
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ampant » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:Intentionally fielding players who you feel will score fewer points than players you leave on your bench is every bit as bad as fielding no lineup at all.

Generally speaking, if you have to ask (yourself or anyone else) whether something is "ethical" or not, then you already know damn well that it isn't.

Tanking is chickens**t and bad juju, and if you choose/chose to do so then I wholeheartedly hope it comes back to bite you.

Play to win. This week. Every Week. ;-D

Meh. I can see why some people don't like it, but I still don't think it's cheating. Cheating = breaking the rules. No rules are being broken here. I still say this is the equivalent of real NFL teams resting their starters in week 17 when they have the top seed locked up, regardless of whether the outcome has playoff implications for their opponent or anyone else.

Is it chickensh!t to rest your starters? It sounds like you would agree. But it may also be chicken sh!t to call a time out right before the kicker boots a field goal (as we have seen numerous times this year). It may be chickensh!t to have your QB walk away from the line of scrimmage and pretend he is looking to the sideline having a problem with his helmet while the ball is direct-snapped to the RB to throw off the defense (which happened a few times last year).

The point is . . . it's not breaking the rules, and it's being done to help your team gain a competetive advantage. I think it's fair to call it a b*tch move, if that's your opinion, but it ain't cheating. You aren't helping anybody else. You are doing things which you think will help improve your chances of winning. Whether or not it actually will work or bite you in the arse is on you.

JMO
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby thedude » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:00 pm

There are many rumors about NFL coaches playing the match ups. I have heard rumors about certian coaches pulling starters hoping to get better first round matchups.
thedude
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:30 pm

ampant wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:Intentionally fielding players who you feel will score fewer points than players you leave on your bench is every bit as bad as fielding no lineup at all.

Generally speaking, if you have to ask (yourself or anyone else) whether something is "ethical" or not, then you already know damn well that it isn't.

Tanking is chickens**t and bad juju, and if you choose/chose to do so then I wholeheartedly hope it comes back to bite you.

Play to win. This week. Every Week. ;-D

Meh. I can see why some people don't like it, but I still don't think it's cheating. Cheating = breaking the rules. No rules are being broken here. I still say this is the equivalent of real NFL teams resting their starters in week 17 when they have the top seed locked up, regardless of whether the outcome has playoff implications for their opponent or anyone else.

Is it chickensh!t to rest your starters? It sounds like you would agree. But it may also be chicken sh!t to call a time out right before the kicker boots a field goal (as we have seen numerous times this year). It may be chickensh!t to have your QB walk away from the line of scrimmage and pretend he is looking to the sideline having a problem with his helmet while the ball is direct-snapped to the RB to throw off the defense (which happened a few times last year).

The point is . . . it's not breaking the rules, and it's being done to help your team gain a competetive advantage. I think it's fair to call it a b*tch move, if that's your opinion, but it ain't cheating. You aren't helping anybody else. You are doing things which you think will help improve your chances of winning. Whether or not it actually will work or bite you in the arse is on you.

JMO

Dude, fantasy football and real football are two different things. The comparison between resting starters to avoid injuries and tanking games is apples and oranges. Tanking negatively impacts the competitive balance in the league, and anything that does that is a no-no.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby benb18a » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:54 am

I'm glad to see that this topic can evoke such a debate. Everybody makes good points, and it is just one of those things that has a lot of gray area. I have a playoff spot locked up, and I have no records or bragging rights to go for or anything; it doesn't matter what my team does the next three weeks, which is what I think Ampant is trying to get at. Nobody is going to get pushed out of, or slide into the playoffs by way of me losing any or all of the remaining regular season games. You can use Ampant's point that it is similar to resting your stars after a first round bye or division is clinched; you are forfeiting performance now to give yourself a better chance once the games actually mean something. I know for a fact I'm not the only person on this forum that is going to dread facing that team with Brady, Moss etc. that is probably somewhere around 8-10 wins so far.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:46 am

Matchups would be okay, but it's not right to do it if it affects people getting in the playoffs or not.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby benb18a » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:06 pm

Well it didn't work this week. My team put up a season high 123 with LT still to go lol, with Brees, CJ2, Dallas leading the way. :-C

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk