Peyton Manning... the predictable decline - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Moderator: Football Moderators

Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Called here on the cafe, long before the start of the season... nobody wanted to buy it... but now the heads MUST come out of the sand.

Feb 22, 2007

Also, Peyton peaked 2 seasons ago... his skills will be on the decline from here on out (age catches us all).



http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=322306&hilit=manning&start=20

As of this week, Peyton is Ranked 8th in yards & TDs, with a passer rating of 87.2 (nearly identical performance to Jon Kitna!!!!). No longer a must start, now you must play matchups.

The torched has been passed, I wouldn't touch him till my normal 8th-10th round picks for QB.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2822
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby jh2031 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:42 pm

You do know he has been without his best WR Marvin Harrison and a few members of his offensive line this year...correct?
jh2031
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3595
Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pittsburgh, PA....Awaiting our next Super Bowl

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby chipper » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:45 pm

While I agree that he has not looked like his normal self, this "decline" has come at the same time as he's lost a lot of offensive help.

Also, it looked to me like last year the Colts figured out that they must learn how to win the close games if they ever wanted to have post season success. Who cares about blowing people out (like they did over past years), if you're just going to get beat in the playoffs.

For Fantasy purposes though you may be right, he has fallen back to the rest of the pack a bit. But I feel like that has more to do with the Colts' intent and strategy, than it does with the decline in Peyton's skills......at least at this point. If scoring 50+ points a game gave them any advantage in the playoffs, I don't think Peyton would have a problem getting there (once his weapons are healthy).
chipper
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1021
Joined: 8 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby nebgib5 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:12 pm

jh2031 wrote:You do know he has been without his best WR Marvin Harrison and a few members of his offensive line this year...correct?

And the fact that you take out that one horrible game against the Chargers and his QB rating would be closer to 100, and his stats would be roughly in line with what he posted in '05. Also:

Twisted Sister wrote:I'm not bashing Peyton... he's still the best and will be the best for the next season or two.

I fail to see how you "called it." :-? Him going in the 8th-10th round next year is ludicrous.
Image
nebgib5
Water Boy
Water Boy

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 78
Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Caaaaaaambridge

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:21 pm

nebgib5 wrote:
jh2031 wrote:You do know he has been without his best WR Marvin Harrison and a few members of his offensive line this year...correct?

And the fact that you take out that one horrible game against the Chargers and his QB rating would be closer to 100, and his stats would be roughly in line with what he posted in '05. Also:

Twisted Sister wrote:I'm not bashing Peyton... he's still the best and will be the best for the next season or two.

I fail to see how you "called it." :-? Him going in the 8th-10th round next year is ludicrous.


Read further, I said in the top 5... he's top 8. 8-10th round is where I typically prefer to draft QBs, as many jump on QBs early. I have no doubt someone will still draft him in the 2-3rd round... regardless of such a mediocre season and declining skills. You are right, I did not expect this fast of a decline... but as others have posted, a portion of it is due to Harrison and the OL.

This isn't about tooting my own horn, it's about reality. He's slipped into "the pack" of good QBs, no longer the clear #1 or #2.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2822
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:12 pm

I'd still take Brady then Manning to run my real NFL team. I really don't see how you cannot want Manning. Look what the guy has done over the past years. I know that most people here wouldn't want to have your team up by 2 with 3 or so minutes left on the clock and knowing that Manning is the QB directing the other team.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6204
(Past Year: 69)
Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New Jersey

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:32 pm

You say it isn't about tooting your own horn, but it clearly is. There's a reason no one else brought this up. Because we still see him make high level plays with a mediocre team on offense. At this point his offense is mediocre with the injuries, and you can't compare this season to the others. Obviously he peaked with 49 tds, doesn't take a genious to peg that as a career year. For fantasy purposes, never draft your qb in round one. Most of us realized this, it's the "fantasy media" pushing Manning as a first rounder because he's so "safe" of a pick. P.S. this is brady's career year. It is quite obvious. Maybe after stallworth and moss leave we can say that brady is declining because he hasn't had a career year in the last 2 years.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 5057
Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At the Mafia Cafe

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby Atog » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:34 pm

Tom Brady is only a year younger than Manning. Does this mean I shouldn't draft him next year!?!? 8-o 8-o 8-o
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 4660
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby RazzLeDazzLe » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:29 pm

I say that a couple of below average games is hardly a reason to call him washed up...

Give him a chance, he's doing a nice job tonight so far. ;-D
QB: Freeman
RB: Rashad Jennings, Ray Rice, Knowshon Moreno
WR: Calvin Johnson, Jeremy Maclin
TE: Vernon Davis
K: Shayne Graham
D: SD
Bench: Hillis, Knox, Tebow, Woodhead, Ball
RazzLeDazzLe Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 799
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Rutherford, New Jerzzz

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:20 am

his wides and offensive line have all been injured. yes he's having a down year, but if this means i can nab peyton an extra round later, maybe even the 3rd or 4th??, then i'll take him.
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5309
Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Beantown, Taxachusetts

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 5:21 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact