Peyton Manning... the predictable decline - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Peyton Manning... the predictable decline

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:28 am

I hope the Manning owner in my league starts playing matchups like you suggest. :-b There is no way you can bench him, but I agree he is not miles ahead of everyone anymore.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Humpback » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:14 am

I'd actually say you blew it, since you said he's still the best and will be the best for the next year or two. :-t There are several reasons for his statistical decline: he's been missing one of the best WRs of all time for most of the season, Clark has missed time, Stokley is gone and his replacement is a rookie who has missed time, half of their o-line has been injured, their defense is much improved so they don't have to score a ton, etc. They don't have the Pats mentality of scoring on every drive- they just want to control the game and win right now, at least until they get healthy.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Atog wrote:Tom Brady is only a year younger than Manning. Does this mean I shouldn't draft him next year!?!? 8-o 8-o 8-o

When you look at where brady will likely be drafted... yeah.

But that is a can o worms.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby FantasyMan13 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:30 pm

Ummmm.... No.

Manning has 5+ more years of being an elite QB in the NFL, and probably fantasy as well.

He's the second or third most reliable player right now at a pretty unpredictable position, playing without his #1 WR. You can't sit him under any circumstances.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:24 pm

The whole concept of this thread is flawed at its very heart.

Peyton Manning 2 years ago: 3747 yards, 28 TDs
Peyton Manning's pace this year: 4200 yards, 32 TDs

In fact, fantasy football wise the guy is still on pace to have the 4th best season of his 10 year career, and set to exceed his career averages despite missing his best WR all year.

The only thing that's different is that people are drafting him way earlier now. I've tried to tell them a million times that 4000/30 out of a QB isn't worth a 1st round pick, and now people who are getting exactly that (if not a little more) are finally starting to realize what owning a 4000/30 QB means. 4000/30 is great in real life, but it's not worth much in fantasy football. Our perception based on fantasy football is jading our perception compared to what someone watching football just to watch football is seeing, and that is that Peyton's numbers are still better this year than they are in a typical Peyton season.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Munboy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:13 pm

I agree with skibrett and FB. It's all about draft position. Manning has always been drafted too early, especially since his record breaking year. Next year, Brady is going to go in the first in probably 99% of drafts. I am one currently enjoying his success this year, but I took him in the 3rd. I'd be hard pressed to take him any earlier next year, so I probably won't end up with. I wouldn't hesistant to take Manning in the 3rd next year if he drops, but I doubt he will...no matter what kind of season he is having....which really isn't all that bad
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:00 pm

Nice try at a poorly disguised "brag" topic and failing at that too. He's playing on a decimated team right now; of course he isn't going to throw 50 TDs this year.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Twisted Sister » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:55 pm

Did I say Peyton? I meant Eli... !+)

Peyton has exploded since since this post, so I think it's clear... Peyton is among us on the cafe.

Hey Peyton... YOUR THE BEST ;-D

I deserve a paper bag for this one. !+) !+) !+)
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby monkiesatemybaby » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:07 pm

The average age of the top 8 QBs is exactly 31. Granted, only two are actually older than Manning, but the oldest is #2. People are acting like the Colts are a big disappointment - but if you actually look at the injuries they've had all season, there's a whole bunch of teams who actually SUCK, but they have less injuries than Indy, yet still cry "Oh, we had so many injuries so we suck blah blah blah. The Colts are still in the top 3 or 4 teams in the league, and they are getting healthier. Peyton isn't washed up or declining in any way, he's human, but he's still found ways to win every game but 2 this year.
sig by abrunn11 da bomb
Believe it or not...the choice is yours
monkiesatemybaby
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Where's Ryan Leaf? » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Feb 22, 2007

Also, Peyton peaked 2 seasons ago... his skills will be on the decline from here on out (age catches us all).

Haven't people been saying this about Favre for the past, oh I don't know, five years, now? This is just one in a long line of reactionary posts like: "Oh my god, Kenton Keith just got a carry -- it's a platoon here on out."
"I love me some me"
Where's Ryan Leaf?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk