Where did the wins go? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Where did the wins go?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Where did the wins go?

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:07 pm

Anyone notice that our schedule is almost void of winnable games now?
Word is that AP might be ready to go next Sunday, we suck in Minnesoduh, and their D is playing silly-ba-silly ball right now. We could get it handed to us there.
Next is Dallas. Not likely to wipe Romo's shite-eating grin off of his face are we.
Then comes a trip to SD, the team that Norv destroyed. What are the odds that we can hang with a pissed off bunch of Bolts?
KC and GB to finish off the season. Two winnable games given that KC should be out of the race and the Cheese curds should have a spot locked up and no reason to play.
So we now can look forward to perhaps winning those two to get to Kitna-Kitna (8-8) the symbol of mediocrity.

Damn me and my Chicken Little brain. I can see a double cheese death as Kolby goes for 200 and 3 TDs and Mr Rogers tosses 4 TDs in Cheesetown. Losing every game from here on in is a possibility that can no longer be ignored. The sky is falling.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Where did the wins go?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:11 pm

i hate to agree with you but i'll be surprised if we win another game.

@ Minny - forget it, no way we are winning up there

Dallas - Ha. TO will probably go for 200 and 3 TD's

@ SD - expect a HUGE blowout. i just realized i might have to face LT in the playoffs of my big money league that week...i'm sure he'll go off for 200+ and 4 TD's

KC - probably the most winnable game IMO, which makes it the most likely to lose (if that doesnt make sense then you arent a Lions fan)

@GB - even if Favre is out because they have it locked up i cant see us winning on the Tunra

so 6-10 sounds about right, hell, even if they pull of a miracle and go 9-7 they'll likely miss the playoffs since most of the teams chasing us have the tie-breaker

the worst part is, i had finally convinced myself to have no expectations, that this was a 3-13 team and i wasnt going to get disapointed about this season, they they jump out to 6-2, i take a big bite of cornbread and think "wow, they're going to the playoffs" and now here we are. shame on me, i should know better
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:24 pm

Yeah i agree with all of that guys. It sucks right now. The wheels fell off that day in the desert. Same ole Lions guys. Hate to say it but its true. We lack talent. MILLEN is absolutely terrible at his job and hes not going anywhere. Remember when B Ross took us to starts like this years. What happened?? We would lose our last 7 games or whatever. I think we will win one more game. I dont know who and dont really care that much anymore. A couple weeks ago everyone was just giving them the Minn game. Not anymore. Especially not there. We are going to get DOMINATED at the LOS. Both sides. Anyways we should get one more and that will be that. THen next year will get here and we will get all excited and the same crap will happen. I guess I should just be happy that we have the Pistons, Wings, and Tigers. Not too many cities have it like that.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:30 pm

You know, the sad thing is....we are still in the playoffs right now. Yep, losing 3 straight and currently still sitting in the 6th and final playoff spot. 8-o Sure we still have lost all tiebreakers with the 4 or 5 closest teams behind us, but until they tie us, we have the lead. Now, if for some unforseen miracle we win in Minnesota, guess what? We are still in the playoffs at the 3/4 point of the season. That would be amazing in itself.

Now with that said, do I expect them to make the playoffs....no. Do I expect them to beat Minnesota....no. But, again at the 3/4 point, we are in the playoff hunt. That is something we have been waiting ages for. Sure, it could turn real bad and the talk will be about a 6-2 start and 1-7 or 0-8 finish. :-P

Go look at our prediction thread from before the season. The majority of sane people had us at 3-4 wins tops.....all season. If you were offered a bet before the season that the Lions would be 2-6 or 6-2 at the halfway point how many would take the 6-2....and would have even been able to come up with the 6 wins? Sure things look bleak, but look what 1 win did to start the season in Oakland and a little luck against Minnesota at home. We have played better against bad passing teams...even on the road (who expected us to go to Chicago to win?) Last I checked...TJax is not a household name...heck he even makes Joey look like Unitas.

With this wacky football season, anything can happen and alls I'm saying is 1 win could mean a huge difference in the rest of the season. Sure it's a little easier to look ahead after 11 games have been played to make predictions, but don't make me go back and pull quotes of how the first few games of the season would go.

Keep hope alive :-b
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby scrumtalecent » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:13 am

dream_017 wrote:
Keep hope alive :-b

I was watching The Shawshank Redemption (a great prison movie from the mid-nineties for those who don't watch movies) for the 800th time last night. Your optimism reminded me of a quote from the movie:

"Hope? Let me tell you something, my friend, hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no use in [Detroit Lion football]. You better get used to that idea."

I kinda get that feeling watching Lion games. Especially in the fourth quarter when it looks like the Lions might pull one out. They haven't been able to do that lately. Later on the main character in the movie says in a letter:

"Remember, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

We will never learn, will we? We're gonna keep hoping they can pull a game or two out. That's why we watch. The movie ends with the lines:

"I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope."

There were quite a few Lion fans that got pretty excited, including myself, to see the Lions at 6-2 going to play lowly Arizona. Our hopes have been dashed the last few weeks, but it's great so see someone not as cynical as most Lion fans have come to be.

I hope...
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:14 am

Lions fans hope + Relentless bludgeoning by Lions reality = Cynicism

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:38 pm

Most of you guys said the Lions werfe a 5-11 to 7-9 team this yr prior to the season starting. I know I thought they would be about 8-8, and I thought if they made it to being a .500 team it would be a pretty massive improvement to what we have been used to recently. When they were mentioned as a possible playoff team halfway through the year I think expectations became somewhat scewered. I would be happy with the Lions being a .500 team this yr and I would see that as an obvious step in the right direction.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby dream_017 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:21 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Most of you guys said the Lions werfe a 5-11 to 7-9 team this yr prior to the season starting. I know I thought they would be about 8-8, and I thought if they made it to being a .500 team it would be a pretty massive improvement to what we have been used to recently. When they were mentioned as a possible playoff team halfway through the year I think expectations became somewhat scewered. I would be happy with the Lions being a .500 team this yr and I would see that as an obvious step in the right direction.

Sorry to bust your bubble CBM, but here are the predictions from the pre-season thread here in the Lions forum:
moochman wrote: - 3-13. Fret not though, laddies, someone else will suck too so Millen will not get his first overall #1 pick in the draft.

mutantseabass wrote:Record-3-13. Whoever said 8 wins pass the bong this way! :-b

Jimboozie wrote: My predic: 4-12

scrumtalecent wrote:Record:3-13 :-t or Record:11-5 ;-D

Calyxes wrote:Record: 5-11

LionsTim wrote:5-11

RWLongy4 wrote:Record: 7-9

Atog wrote:Record: 8-8

TheRawDAWG wrote:Lions prediction:6-10 (only because they will be able to outscore some other teams)

By my calculations the Lions had most of these guys beat after 8 games.....sure they are still stuck on that same number, but very few had that many wins for the entire season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Lions are turning a corner or should have a parade down Woodward for going 6-10, but I'm also not going to be disappointed doubling last years win total. Do I want to see more...of course, especially with the start they got off to. I also think they can still get a little momentum and win a few more games and make a playoff push. Like I said before, if they win this week, at the 3/4 point they would be the 6th seed. Should they be better...yes Could they be worse...yes.

These last few games will tell a lot about this team. I think Rod has them moving in the right direct, slowly, but still the right direction. But, these games could tell us if he is going to lose the team or keep things moving ahead.

By the way, the best prediction in the thread belongs to RWLongy4:
RWLongy4 wrote:Drew Stanton tears his ACL before the season. Done for the year.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:00 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Most of you guys said the Lions werfe a 5-11 to 7-9 team this yr prior to the season starting. I know I thought they would be about 8-8, and I thought if they made it to being a .500 team it would be a pretty massive improvement to what we have been used to recently. When they were mentioned as a possible playoff team halfway through the year I think expectations became somewhat scewered. I would be happy with the Lions being a .500 team this yr and I would see that as an obvious step in the right direction.

Sorry to bust your bubble CBM, but here are the predictions from the pre-season thread here in the Lions forum:
moochman wrote: - 3-13. Fret not though, laddies, someone else will suck too so Millen will not get his first overall #1 pick in the draft.

mutantseabass wrote:Record-3-13. Whoever said 8 wins pass the bong this way! :-b

Jimboozie wrote: My predic: 4-12

scrumtalecent wrote:Record:3-13 :-t or Record:11-5 ;-D

Calyxes wrote:Record: 5-11

LionsTim wrote:5-11

RWLongy4 wrote:Record: 7-9

Atog wrote:Record: 8-8

TheRawDAWG wrote:Lions prediction:6-10 (only because they will be able to outscore some other teams)

By my calculations the Lions had most of these guys beat after 8 games.....sure they are still stuck on that same number, but very few had that many wins for the entire season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Lions are turning a corner or should have a parade down Woodward for going 6-10, but I'm also not going to be disappointed doubling last years win total. Do I want to see more...of course, especially with the start they got off to. I also think they can still get a little momentum and win a few more games and make a playoff push. Like I said before, if they win this week, at the 3/4 point they would be the 6th seed. Should they be better...yes Could they be worse...yes.

These last few games will tell a lot about this team. I think Rod has them moving in the right direct, slowly, but still the right direction. But, these games could tell us if he is going to lose the team or keep things moving ahead.

By the way, the best prediction in the thread belongs to RWLongy4:
RWLongy4 wrote:Drew Stanton tears his ACL before the season. Done for the year.

i had 3-13 as well but got caught up in the playoff hype so now i'm sorely disapointed. it sucks too because i told my self i was expecting nothing and wouldnt care what this team did this year

sorry, but i just cant be happy that they "made progress". if you get to 6-2 you need to make the playoffs. maybe i'd feel better about this "progress" if the future looked brighter, but to me it doesnt

Kitna is not the answer at QB and our QB of the future is who...Drew Stanton??? or some other high draft pick? or maybe we can give up a 1st and 3rd for Derek Anderson...i'm sure that will work out

i'll be extremely surpised if Roy is back with us after next year...the O-line is still a joke, we have 1.5 good players on D (Ernie Sims and Big Fatty when he wants to play), terrible contracts for Redding and Kalimba Edwards

it just seems that the next 2 years drafts will be plugging holes and when they're all plugged up some new ones will spring up and we'll be back to rebuilding. this team needs to just draft all O-Line and D-line for the next 2 years and hope they can find a few starters and build from there
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:04 am

So if after we started 6-2 with eight games remaining. 2-6 would have been enough for you to see some improvement?? I cant look at it that way. I mean we were playing differently in the beginning of the season, and now we look worse than ever. I wouldnt look at the records to indicate improvement. Improvement for me would have been KJ having a good rushing year, Calvin and Roy cementing themselves as the next CJ/Housh, Boldin/Fitz, combo. Playing good defense, special teams. Playing HARD, ALL THE TIME. I see improvement when at the last quarter of the year we arent talking about why our best defensive player is a fat, lazy slob who cant stay on the field. Improvement to me would have been actually winning that Dallas game. We are the same now as we have been for years IMO. I dont see how its ever going to change under the circumstances of the team right now. We just have a terrible organization, and it starts at the very top and goes all the way down to that stupid Special Teams coach that cant get the ball carrier tackled before our ten yard line so we have to kick and give them the ball at the fourty yard line instead. These things are not showing improvement. KJ doesnt touch the ball, Roys numbers are way down, Calvin isnt a big enough part of the team, he doesnt know the playbook and he looks lost out there sometimes. Whose fault is that?? I say the coaches.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Detroit Lions