Playoff team intentionally losing - fair or not? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Playoff team intentionally losing - fair or not?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playoff team intentionally losing - fair or not?

Postby Bengalfang » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:58 pm

So one of the teams is my league has locked up a playoff spot probably will be #2 if not then #1. The team with the most points in the league is at #5 and is fighting to get in the playoffs, he needs to win the last 2 games and hopes the #4 team loses at least one out of 2. The guy that locked up a spot knows that the #5 team is better (on paper it's probably the 2nd best team in the league) than the #4 and is planning on throwing his match up with the #4 team. The other sub-plot is the playoff team and he #4 team are friends and don't really know anyone else in the league but me. So is this fair or not? As commish what should I do?
Bengalfang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Playoff team intentionally losing - fair or not?

Postby suhgamer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:29 pm

Tough call. I'm only commished for a few years with people that are all close and haven't had to encounter this type of situation, a close one though. It that similar situation, it was looked upon with disdain by everyone in the league and agreed that everyone will play to win, regardless of circumstances.

I'm interested to see how some vets will weigh on this. I'd say that it be known that purposely throwing games is not something that should be allowed. I disagree with the whole concept, even when its for better draft slots.
suhgamer
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bengalfang » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:05 am

Thanks for the response. Any other opinions?
Bengalfang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby RCR » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:16 am

If you are commish, you cannot allow this if you are aware of it. It's collusion. He should set his lineup to score the most points he can. It's about the integrity of the league-- if you allow it this year it'll happen again next year.
RCR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:48 am

Personally, I don't like this strategy because, at least to me, it is contrary to the essence of sports and the spirit of the game where you are expected to always give your best.

However, fantasy sports are just that, fantasy and not exactly the same kind of competition that takes place on the field. Part of the essence of sport is the goal to win. How far you go to win is up to each team to decide, but as long as it is within the rules (which are up to each league to decide) some people will do whatever it takes to help their team win the ultimate goal.

While not exactly the same, you could debate the ethics of a team that has Tom Brady and David Garrard at QB. Brady's bye is week 10 and Garrard got hurt and did not play week 10. I would not fault the Brady owner for taking a zero at QB in week 10 (and losing that game), if he was confident that his playoff spot was secure and didn't want to drop anyone to fill the one week hole. Did that move affect someone else's playoff hopes? Possibly so. Do I see that as a "bush league" move? NO! One strategy is to intentionally build a team with bye week problems late in the season and bunched into one week just for the luxury of having the ability to make that decision.

In the end, pulling the stunt you described may backfire anyway just because it is impossible to predict the actual player performances that will take place in future games. I'll bet a lot of Favre owners were banking on Brett having a big game last night and look where they are today.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby chaindog35 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:16 pm

This is a difficult question. I know alot of people that say losing to adjust your playoff spot, or to keep another team out is just strategy. A big part of me agrees with this. However, there is also a school of thought that you try to win every game, no matter what. The real problem I see with your situation is that there is the appearance of collusion. Regardless of whether there is actual collusion, the appearance alone will harm the integrity of the league. I would have a talk with the owner who is in 1/2 and ask him to play his best guys for the sake of the league. Another option is this, switch the schedule and make the 4 and 5 teams play each other. Then they are actually fighting each other for the last spot.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RK4 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:57 pm

It is collusion, plain and simple. You cannot permit this to happen and your league rules should address this issue - if not, create them to do so.
RK4
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mgrayo01 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:03 pm

I had the same problem too this past week. The guy who locked up the 5th playoff spot lost purposely to his friend to give his friend the edge in winning the 6th spot that was being battled for by him and another one of my friends. I'm friends with all the guys in the league but these two guys are like "best friends". We're playing in a Yahoo league so I don't know if I can even do anything as commish. I've been searching through commisioner tools and found out I could change the roster of the guy who threw the game. I put in his normal starters he took out and it upped his score to beat his best friend, but it didn't change the playoff schedule...I don't know what to do. My buddy who lost the 6th spot because of this is pissed, especially with a few hundred bucks on the line. If anyone has any advice as to how to change this in a Yahoo league please let us know. Thanks.
mgrayo01
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TRIZ » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:44 pm

As commissioner you really need to address this. Whether it be to the 2 members silently or publicly with your entire league. I know several years ago my league had this to happen and we addressed it publicly. Feelings got hurt, but in the long run it renewed the integrity of our league. We since set some "gentlemen's" rules that we abide by.

1)We never deliberatly tank (game or season).
2)We never drop players out of frustration.
3)We never veto trades, unless of course they are lop-sided

Since we did this, we have yet to encounter any problems.

Good luck Bengalfang!
TRIZ
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby RCR » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:54 am

TRIZ wrote:

1)We never deliberatly tank (game or season).
2)We never drop players out of frustration.
3)We never veto trades, unless of course they are lop-sided

Since we did this, we have yet to encounter any problems.

I like the spirit of competition your rules imply. But what other reason are you dropping players for? You wouldn't drop any unles you were frustrated with their performance. I dropped McNabb 4 weeks ago (out of frustration) and am I glad I did. My nemesis picked him up and gut burned two weeks later with a -1 point performance. Earlier in the year someone dropped Rudi Johnson and I nearly reinstated him just because it seemd so boneheaded. Seemed pure genius know since the owner picked up Fargas instead. If you mean purging an entire roster, I'm with ya though.
RCR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner