Tony Romo go ahead of Peyton in next year's draft??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tony Romo go ahead of Peyton in next year's draft???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Tony Romo go ahead of Peyton in next year's draft???

Postby eagle0588 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:18 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:I think there are two big factors to Romos continued success.
1) Jason Garrett. If he stays in Dallas next season thats huge for Romo.
2) The decline of TO. Hes been playing quite a while. How much longer can he continue to play at a high level?

i don't think TO declines even though he's 34 now? Look at joey galloway he's like 2 years older and still producing very good numbers. I'm not saying galloway is as good as TO but galloway is still pretty darn good. The way TO conditions himself and the fact that he's rarely ever misses a game due to an injury spells several more years in the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see TO still putting up numbers even at 36 years old
eagle0588
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:28 pm

Yea TO is one of those wrs, he is still going to have a few drops here and there, but his combination of size and strength and smarts, he will still be dominant..Galloway is a good example, look at Harrison last year, Rice played well into 40...being this late in the season TO has showed no decline at all, I think its going to happen and Dallas should worry about it, that offense clicks because their is a big time wr to key in on and it wouldnt work as well without that type of guy...

But I dont think his stats will decline that much, he should still catch 13 tds at least next year...someone will reach really early on Romo again this year, I just think his stats will be higher then Peytons because of Dallas' offense and how they spread it out, they throw more then the Colts do, and if Dallas keeps Crayton, they would have slightly better weapons around him
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby danielgreen091 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:10 pm

LOL, you know you are going to get torn up in here for saying that the Cowboys have better weapons than the Colts.
danielgreen091
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AllDay » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:18 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:well based on the stats this year, some people might draft romo ahead of peyton anyway. you could get peyton later than normal.

i'd personally just avoid the whole taking-qbs-early mess, and try to nab a qb later on....like how most romo owners did this year.

Ditto.

As good as Romo has been for me this year, I'm fairly certain I won't be drafting him next year.

I might pick wrong or get burned for waiting too long, but I'll roll with the 'wait on a QB' plan next year as well. I prefer that strategy to chasing the guy that surprised the previous year.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:06 pm

I drafted Romo in the latter part of round 7 here in a 14 team cafe league and it was an absolute steal.

I think a few things still need to fall into place for his great success to continue into next season. Jason Garret, some other free agent question marks etc. But Romo definitely could be a top 2 or 3 QB next year behind Brady or Peyton. Right now it's a tossup for me but I would still learn to: 1. Brady, 2. Manning 3. Romo at this point.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby moochman » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:46 pm

danielgreen091 wrote:LOL, you know you are going to get torn up in here for saying that the Cowboys have better weapons than the Colts.

On the contrary, it can be argued easily that the Cowboys have better offensive weapons. Jones and Barber are better than Addai and Kieth. TO and Wayne can be argued: short term TO, long term Wayne. Harrison and Gonzalez better than Crayton and and . Witten is a better TE than Clark, who though a little better receiver is not nearly as good a blocker. The O-line is better in Dallas and QB? Well Romo does come through under pressures that Peyton has always seemed to struggle with. Yeah, I think unless there are some glaring changes that I would consider taking Romo ahead of Peyton.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:15 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:well based on the stats this year, some people might draft romo ahead of peyton anyway. you could get peyton later than normal.

i'd personally just avoid the whole taking-qbs-early mess, and try to nab a qb later on....like how most romo owners did this year.

I agree. For example, Big Ben could easily bounce back big next year. I really don't see him ability-wise as much different from Romo, who simply has the better team around him this year. Ben has made big strides this year, and I suspect that the Steelers will be looking to add major talent to their passing game in the offseason, to keep up with Cleveland's and Cinci's passing games. Otherwise they won't have a prayer of winning their division next year.

Big Ben is just one of several QB's who could be next year's Romo.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Retet » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:31 am

I'd still take Peyton over Romo next year. In this discussion, we're talking about rounds 1-3 here. And in those round, I'll take proven, high-quality point production. And Peyton's it. Sure Romo may put up better numbers than Peyton next year. But I know that Peyton will be a top 6 QB next year (barring injury), where as Romo might be in that group.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby harold_bush » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:44 am

Don't get me wrong, I started this thread to stimulate thought, I have NEVER drafted a QB earlier than the 5th round. I was just curious as to people's take on the year he is having.

I also agree that Romo's offensive line has been unbelievable, but I don't see that radically changing next year. Any QB is considerably better when they have time. Peyton is a perfect example. Hell, I think offensive lines are so important that Joey Harrington could have a Pro Bowl type season if he switched places with Tom Brady. Now, I'm not saying he is even close to the QB Brady is, and he wouldn't throw 50 TDs like Brady this year, but I'd feel pretty damn confident he would throw 25-30 TDs in that offense.
1 pt.= 10 yds rushing/receiving, 1 pt. = 25 yds passing, 1/2 pt = PPR,

QB- Vick/Flacco/Favre
RB- Arian Foster
RB -Adrian Peterson
WR-Steve Smith (Giants)
WR-Welker
TE- Celek
WR/RB - Ray Rice

Bench- Santonio Holmes, Ryan Torain, McGahee, Bowe
harold_bush
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby benb18a » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:52 pm

Of course I would take Peyton before Romo next season. I would also take Bulger, Brees, McNabb, Palmer, and Hasselbeck over Romo next year. Romo is a fraud and will be discovered next season. Those guys are all proven to be better QBs with their one, two or three good seasons. TO is going to destroy the team; Glenn will retire, and Witten and Crayton will get traded. Romo throws for 3000 yards, 15 TDs and 45 picks because of that game against the Bills. Throw in 25 fumbles, because of that game against the Lions last season as well. :-D

Seriously, the two are pretty even in my book, and if Harrison can recover well and not retire, I would probably take him ahead of Romo. If TO gets seriously injured, and/or Glenn retires, I would certainly take Peyton first. After a bad couple games from Peyton when Harrison went down, he showed that he can still be a great QB without him. He still represents that solidarity you should expect from that QB1 or, in next year's case, QB1a.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk