Williams not happy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Williams not happy

Postby stomperrob » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:48 pm

Roy frustrated with role, doesn't want controversy
November 30, 2007

By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Sometime Monday, offensive coordinator Mike Martz pulled aside wide receiver Roy Williams at Lions headquarters. They had a little chat.

"I went to Roy because I could sense his frustration to some extent," Martz said Thursday. "We had a nice visit. Some things he said were very accurate. ...

"He's right, to some extent. We do need to get him the ball."

Williams had 1,310 receiving yards last season, most in the NFC. But he has only 751 through 11 games this season, putting him on pace for 1,092.

This goes beyond the numbers, though. Williams considers himself a team leader and key player, and he doesn't understand why he isn't contributing more. He wonders where he fits in the Lions' present and future.

Williams declined to discuss his meeting with Martz.

"It was between me and him," he said.

But then, without a pause, he continued. "I feel like I'm a good wide receiver," he said.

And then, without a prompt, he entered into interesting territory.

"I mean, I know my understudy here, Calvin Johnson, is going to be better than me one day," he said. "I'm trying to groom him to be that way. I know next year is my contract year. So I don't know what the future holds for me. But as far as right now, I feel like I'm OK. I'm pretty good. I just want to play ball."

What does he want the future to hold?

"Oh, man," he said. "Everybody wants to stay with the team that they started out with. I mean, it's hard to do now with free agency and everything. But I think I'm a good enough player that I think I'll be back here in Detroit."

Hmm.

Let's go back to Thanksgiving Day. In the first half, the Lions kept throwing to the rookie Johnson, who wasn't making plays. Williams got on Johnson. He said he was trying to be a mentor, the kind of mentor he has never had in Detroit.

At one point -- Williams has repeated this anecdote often -- Green Bay cornerback Al Harris asked Williams why the Lions weren't throwing the ball to him.

"That's more frustrating than anything," Williams said Thursday. "I could understand if he locked me down or I wasn't open, but ..."

Williams finished with three catches for 32 yards. Johnson picked it up in the second half and finished with seven catches for 83 yards and a touchdown.

When the wide receivers had their position group meeting Monday, they were told they weren't playing fast enough, weren't making enough plays and so on.

"It kind of pissed me off a little bit, because I feel I'm the head of this group, and I feel that they kind of insulted me and my room," Williams said Thursday.

Asked about his decreased numbers Monday, Williams said he would never bring up the issue. But he also said this: "There's no reason for me to say anything."

Twice, off the top of his head, he listed low yardage totals he had posted this season -- 20, 23, 36, 44, 53 ... When I looked them up, they were almost all dead on.

Williams let Harris and the numbers speak for him. It seems he wanted to indicate he was unhappy, while not being a guy who goes to the coaches or the media to complain.

Maybe he wanted Martz to sense his frustration, and maybe it was a good thing Martz not only sensed it but showed him he did.

Last week, in an interview with WDFN-AM (1130), Williams indicated there had been some disagreement with Martz. He said as a group the Lions had talked about how Martz had been to Super Bowls and made the play calls.

Martz said Thursday the Lions never talked about that as a group. But he also said: "I think everybody's got an opinion about what you should be doing. In that environment, nothing will work well."

He said the offensive coordinator's job was to make sure everyone was on the same page.

"Now, it may not be what some of the players like or whatever," he said. "But everybody has to be doing the same thing. ...

"I think when you get away from that, then things start to deteriorate a little bit. I think Roy just has some frustration, and that's all it is with Roy. Roy's fine."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Williams not happy

Postby dream_017 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:46 pm

I'm not worries about this. He shouldn't be happy with what happened last game, it is out in the open, he has talked to the coach......non issue ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby moochman » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:18 pm

I think Roy has left the building.
I wouldn't be at all suprised if he gets feature a couple games and may post some good numbers, but I think he is gone. He really shows what many have suspected all along: Roy is all about Roy. Did he say anything about how he thinks he could have helped the team? No, he just whines about how he was getting open but not getting the ball. Oh, and that Cal was getting the love that he needs. I don't think there is enough love in the room for both Roy and CJ. Roy knows who's contract is up, so he is gone.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:39 pm

First im just going to say everything in this forum so i dont take up too much room. This might be the last time i post about the Lions this year, oh wait no it wont cause for some reason i just cant stop watching. Although i did manage to turn off the game this weekend early. I want to go back to the whole Roy and Calvin thing. WHAT was the reason drafting Calvin if they werent going to use this guy?? I mean im not kidding this is stupid. 3 WR sets, Calvin on the bench.... WHAT??? I cannot for the life of me figure out if the Lions wouldnt be better coached by me and Mooch. Calvin isnt a flop its the team. Even in garbage time they couldnt get him the ball. Im waiting to see how they cant get him the ball when Roy is not even playing. Its become a circus. One week the media goes crazy about Calvin not getting the ball what happens he gets targeted 100 times to prove a point. Next week Roy cries like a the baby he is, what happens Calvin doesnt get the ball. WHY cant they get the ball to both of them??? I mean they dont run the ball!! This is the least i can ask for. Im not even asking for wins anymore im just asking to see some nice catches. I havent seen a worse game ever that i can remember than the Minn game this weekend. Minn is average at best. They DOMINATED us. I cant even imagine what Dallas is going to do to us. I think if the Dallas players all got like 100k if they could score 100 on us they could do it. Im not joking. Kevin Jones had what 3 rushing attempts for 1 yard?? What the hell is that?? Martz has lost any credibitlity that he had and i will be suprised to see him coach in this league again. There are now 5 running backs in the NFL with more rushing yards than the Lions. The Lions havent completed a third and ten or longer since september!! They cant tackle, run the ball, pass the ball, stop anyone, play special teams, they cant do anything. This might be the worst i have seen them and its not getting better. As long as Millen is here we have no hope. He understands nothing. The lineman that they have shuffled in here is unbelievable, they just dont know what a good one is. Im so upset that i continue to support this garbage that im not sure what im going to do. Im really close to just stopping. They dont try to put a decent product out there for us so why should i support it? Calvin is being WASTED. Its a shame. This guys a stud and they cant even THROW the ball at him?? If Calvin doesnt get the ball from here on out with Roy out then im done. Some of you say that this has been improvement this season, well its time to stop kidding yourselves. NOTHING has changed. Nothing. I wish we played Miami this season just so that they could get a win. Look at all the other WR duos in the league. Do they have "packages" were they both arent out on the field together?? Do any of the duos ONLY get the ball to one of the guys in any given week?? The answer is no. They both play, they are both threats, and they both get the ball. I have one more thing to say Kenoy Kennedy......retire.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:08 am

Regarding your rant, Spree, I offer up this simple queery: What makes anybody who has watched Lions football think that Calvin is in any way an elite level talent?
Tell me, becuase I don't see it.
Great speed-never gets open deep, shows no breakaway ability
Great size-See Big Mike Williams. Size mean little in a Martz O, especially with a QB like Kitna who simply cannot throw fade routes and may lack the accuracy to toss a jump ball.
Great hands-Dropsy is not even at risk of catching a cold lately
Great work ethic-I have to question whether he is working on what he should. By that I mean why this late in the season does he still not seem to have a clue? As he ran that shallow crossing route and dropped the first ball thrown his way two thing occured to me:
1) He looked totally unprepared to run a crossing pattern, meaning he waited until the last second to look up when he should have been looking in as soon as he got off the line of scrimmage.
2) I don't remember him running crossing routes in college. We drafted another (see Roy) WR who doesn't fit the system that Martz runs. Duh. But after 2/3rds of the season is over he hasn't been coached up enough to know how to run this route? Is that a great work ethic?*

*May simply be evidence of incredibly poor coaching that is a hallmark of Lions football under the coach M era.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:12 pm

I agree with alot that you said Mooch. I dont have answers other than i really dont think that this would be the case if he was anywhere else. We should know by now if hes a bust. And we dont. We have seen him make awesome plays, we never got that from Charles or Mike. Clueless yeah he does look like that sometimes. Not catching the ball isnt a rookie mistake i understand these things. Maybe it has something to do with he cant understand why a team would draft him second overall when the whole world is saying hes the best guy to come out of college in some time and not be part of the 3 WR set. We watched Peterson destroy us while Calvin couldnt get on the field. Its a joke. Im WAY more willing to blame the Lions before Calvin on this debacle.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Detroit Lions