SNOW SNOW SNOW! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

SNOW SNOW SNOW!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: SNOW SNOW SNOW!

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:06 pm

sleet, freezing rain and snow combined to make the drive home a sucky one. Took over an hour and saw several slide offs and spun-arounds. My winter tire order just arrived today so I am still on the summer tires in this slop.

Is it spring yet?? :-[ :-t
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:01 pm

Yeah I guess we're supposed to get some freezing rain too.....yay. %-6
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby bagobonez » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Ok, where I grew up it snowed all the time, and people knew how to drive in it, schools wouldn't close unless there was literally 2+ feet of now. Now I live in Dallas, we had a tiny, TINY little bit of ice on the roads today (and it was really only on bridges) and the entire city had traffic jams and accidents everywhere, schools closing, etc. Drives me nuts. It's not that hard to drive in the stuff, but everyone gets so paranoid that they drive 5 mph. THe radio/TV telling everyone to "drive slow" doesn't help either.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 am

We've got a blizzard going this morning with bad wind and temp of minus 12C - oh well, could be worse - last weekend we had snow and a temp of minus 25C with a wind chill of minus 40C!!!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby spodog » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:14 am

I have heard of this mysterious stuff before. A few friends that go to Big Bear say they see it up there once in a while.

Is this the wet stuff that sometimes arrives in January and gets onto the 405, bringing all the oil and grease to the surface and making the road slick ?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:41 am

We had about 2-3 inches last night and are expecting 2 more systems to make their way in over the next 4-5 days. The one tomorrow is suppose to bring some ice....luckily today is my last day of work for the year ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:04 pm

bagobonez wrote:Ok, where I grew up it snowed all the time, and people knew how to drive in it, schools wouldn't close unless there was literally 2+ feet of now. Now I live in Dallas, we had a tiny, TINY little bit of ice on the roads today (and it was really only on bridges) and the entire city had traffic jams and accidents everywhere, schools closing, etc. Drives me nuts. It's not that hard to drive in the stuff, but everyone gets so paranoid that they drive 5 mph. THe radio/TV telling everyone to "drive slow" doesn't help either.

I don't know why but it kinda bugs me when people complain about "people who don't know how to drive in the snow." I understand it can be a little frustrating being behind someone whos snow driving skills are lacking but come on, give em a break. What do you expect from people who live in warm weather climates and have never driven in snow or on ice? If it really bothers you that much move back to where it snows and people know how to drive in it. I wonder....was it the radio telling everyone to "slow down" what caused the accidents? Maybe they should tell everyone drive as normal in icy conditions....yeah that'll lessen the number of accidents. People have different levels of driving ability...not everyone is as "skilled" as you, telling drivers to "drive slow" does help a great deal and is exactly what the radio/TV should be telling people.
Metroid

Postby dream_017 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Metroid wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Ok, where I grew up it snowed all the time, and people knew how to drive in it, schools wouldn't close unless there was literally 2+ feet of now. Now I live in Dallas, we had a tiny, TINY little bit of ice on the roads today (and it was really only on bridges) and the entire city had traffic jams and accidents everywhere, schools closing, etc. Drives me nuts. It's not that hard to drive in the stuff, but everyone gets so paranoid that they drive 5 mph. THe radio/TV telling everyone to "drive slow" doesn't help either.

I don't know why but it kinda bugs me when people complain about "people who don't know how to drive in the snow." I understand it can be a little frustrating being behind someone whos snow driving skills are lacking but come on, give em a break. What do you expect from people who live in warm weather climates and have never driven in snow or on ice? If it really bothers you that much move back to where it snows and people know how to drive in it. I wonder....was it the radio telling everyone to "slow down" what caused the accidents? Maybe they should tell everyone drive as normal in icy conditions....yeah that'll lessen the number of accidents. People have different levels of driving ability...not everyone is as "skilled" as you, telling drivers to "drive slow" does help a great deal and is exactly what the radio/TV should be telling people.

Don't worry, there are people every year that don't know how to drive in the snowy states either
:-t

Complaining about people in states where it happens infrequently is wrong, I on the other hand have no problem complaining about people where it snows EVERY YEAR
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:38 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Don't worry, there are people every year that don't know how to drive in the snowy states either
:-t

Complaining about people in states where it happens infrequently is wrong, I on the other hand have no problem complaining about people where it snows EVERY YEAR

I hear ya and agree to some extant. But still I thinks it's better to just take a deep breath and give people a break. Older people don't drive so well at all, add snow and ice to the mix....yikes. And young people haven't had the experience. Also people who move to cold weather states from warm weather states. Again people have different levels of driving ability, even those who live in snowy areas. But as long as it's just complaining on a message board or bitching amongst friends then cool but I see people out there everyday getting frustrated, honking horns, yelling at people, speeding and whipping around people....none of which helps other people feel more comfortable out there, and can only make things worse. :-t

I'm not implying that you or anyone here does stuff like that just stating what I've seen out there the past couple days. ;-)
Metroid

Postby dream_017 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:42 pm

Metroid wrote:I'm not implying that you or anyone here does stuff like that just stating what I've seen out there the past couple days. ;-)

Well, you better start implying O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk