SNOW SNOW SNOW! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

SNOW SNOW SNOW!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: SNOW SNOW SNOW!

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:26 pm

it's been snowing most of the day but it's so windy it's keeping my driveway clear. snow on new years day is always nice.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:28 pm

It's cold here, but not snowing. which is a good thing. We have been nailed with so much snow and below zero temps don't allow it to go away...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby eagles21 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:28 pm

No snow here, and I'm beginning to think that it's never going to snow. It's been so warm here over the last week, but luckily it will be cold tomorrow and Thursday (High of 26F on Thursday). But then it will get warm again. :-t
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:15 pm

treat24 wrote:It's cold here, but not snowing. which is a good thing. We have been nailed with so much snow and below zero temps don't allow it to go away...

God damn it was cold....I walked 2 miles this morning at like 3:00 AM....Yuck!

But, I had a good New Year's Eve. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:02 pm

it's in the teens - 20s here, wind chill pert near zero, but no snow. :-t
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:19 pm

It's like 15 degrees right now, but it's supposed to get up to 50 by Saturday. Yea! ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:45 am

I see it has finally begun to freeze over... wonder what sort of chance a snowball has?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/01/11/iraq.snow.ap/index.html

"BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- After weathering nearly five years of war, Baghdad residents thought they'd pretty much seen it all. But Friday morning, as muezzins were calling the faithful to prayer, the people here awoke to something certifiably new.

For the first time in memory, snow fell across Baghdad.

Although the white flakes quickly dissolved into gray puddles, they brought an emotion rarely expressed in this desert capital snarled by army checkpoints, divided by concrete walls and ravaged by sectarian killings -- delight.

"For the first time in my life I saw a snow-rain like this falling in Baghdad," said Mohammed Abdul-Hussein, a 63-year-old retiree from the New Baghdad area.

"When I was young, I heard from my father that such rain had fallen in the early '40s on the outskirts of northern Baghdad," Abdul-Hussein said, referring to snow as a type of rain. "But snow falling in Baghdad in such a magnificent scene was beyond my imagination."

Morning temperatures uncharacteristically hovered around freezing, and the Baghdad airport was closed because of poor visibility. Snow is common in the mountainous Kurdish areas of northern Iraq, but residents of the capital and surrounding areas could remember just hail.

"I asked my mother, who is 80, whether she'd ever seen snow in Iraq before, and her answer was no," said Fawzi Karim, a 40-year-old father of five who runs a small restaurant in Hawr Rajab, a village six miles southeast of Baghdad.

"This is so unusual, and I don't know whether or not it's a lesson from God," Karim said.

Some said they'd seen snow only in movies.

Talib Haider, a 19-year-old college student, said "a friend of mine called me at 8 a.m. to wake me up and tell me that the sky is raining snow."

"I rushed quickly to the balcony to see a very beautiful scene," he said. "I tried to film it with my cell phone camera. This scene has really brought me joy. I called my other friends and the morning turned to be a very happy one in my life."

An Iraqi who works for The Associated Press said he woke his wife and children shortly after 7 a.m. to "have a look at this strange thing." He then called his brother and sister and found them awake, also watching the "cotton-like snow drops covering the trees."

For a couple of hours anyway, a city where mortar shells routinely zoom across to the Green Zone became united as one big White Zone. As of late afternoon, there were no reports of violence. The snow showed no favoritism as it fell faintly on neighborhoods Shiite and Sunni alike, and (with apologies to James Joyce) upon all the living and the dead."
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:55 am

On the subject of snow...

"Let it Snow" is one of my favorite Christmas songs and this past December I was listening to the lyrics and noticed the song never mentioned anything related to Christmas. I looked it up expecting that it wasn't originally written as a Christmas song and low and behold, it wasn't. It's actually a love song. :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:24 pm

I work with a bunch of people from India and they had never seen snow before. When they first came here about 6 years ago we had a pretty big snowstorm and I remember them after work taking pictures and running around throwing snowballs in the parking lot. It was pretty cool to see them react to it.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Guru13 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:21 pm

expecting a total of 6-10 inches here, already have about 3, and school's already been cancelled. O Ya. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk