Adrian Peterson (Vikes)? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Adrian Peterson (Vikes)?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Adrian Peterson (Vikes)?

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:38 am

ivesaidway2much wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Marshawn Lynch has missed more games then him and he had a healthy college career, you cant tell things like that, they happen at random...AD is a gamechanger though and still the best rb in the nfl
Is he the best RB in the NFL? Or is it the Vikings' line? Chester Taylor had a 200 yard game not too long ago running behind that same line. I'm not saying ADP isn't good, but I think there are quite a few backs that would do very well in Minnesota. Heck, even even a tip-toeing runner like Shaun Alexander looked great when he was running behind Steve Hutchinson.

Taylor ran for 200 yards against Oakland. I could probably drop 125 yards and 2 scores on them. One week later, Taylor was struggling to get 3 YPC against an average Giants run defense.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mazz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:41 am

I would keep ADP if i were you. ADP is the hardest runner i've ever seen. He will take that extra yard even if it means an extra hard hit. He is amazing. He may get injured more than other backs, such as LT, but ADP is the hardest running back and probably best running back (barring injury) I have ever seen.

edit: god i can't believe i just said a rookie is probably the best running back I have ever seen. It must be the booze talking. It has to be.
Mazz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ivesaidway2much » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:03 am

TheDiplomats wrote:
ivesaidway2much wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Marshawn Lynch has missed more games then him and he had a healthy college career, you cant tell things like that, they happen at random...AD is a gamechanger though and still the best rb in the nfl
Is he the best RB in the NFL? Or is it the Vikings' line? Chester Taylor had a 200 yard game not too long ago running behind that same line. I'm not saying ADP isn't good, but I think there are quite a few backs that would do very well in Minnesota. Heck, even even a tip-toeing runner like Shaun Alexander looked great when he was running behind Steve Hutchinson.

Taylor ran for 200 yards against Oakland. I could probably drop 125 yards and 2 scores on them. One week later, Taylor was struggling to get 3 YPC against an average Giants run defense.
The Giants have a pretty good Defensive line with 3 all-pro calibre defensive ends, and ADP has had his own mediocre games as well. But Taylor is still averaging almost 5 yards a carry behind the same line, and he's just an average running back. People were going crazy over Frank Gore last year, but now that Larry Allen is finally showing his age Gore is averaging more than a yard per carry less than he did in 2006. The point is I don't think offensive lines get anywhere near enough credit for the performance of their running backs.
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby russellzisky » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:42 pm

The Giants have a pretty good Defensive line with 3 all-pro calibre defensive ends, and ADP has had his own mediocre games as well. But Taylor is still averaging almost 5 yards a carry behind the same line, and he's just an average running back. People were going crazy over Frank Gore last year, but now that Larry Allen is finally showing his age Gore is averaging more than a yard per carry less than he did in 2006. The point is I don't think offensive lines get anywhere near enough credit for the performance of their running backs.

Again, yards-per-carry in '07 coming into today:

Adrian 6.4
Taylor 4.8

Keep in mind Taylor got to play in one game against Oakland. Yeah, we know the Vikings have a great O-line and they deserve credit, but you really shouldn't be taking any credit away from Peterson, either. If you're dissing him, I really don't think you've actually seen him play.
russellzisky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:12 pm

Any owner who puts AD on the block in a keeper league is certifiably insane. Go after him with MJD and picks for sure.

Given the frequency of injuries to running backs this year, trying to predict which players will get injured is a crapshoot now. Brian Westbrook is widely considered fragile and he has missed only two games in the last two seasons, whereas "Reliable Rudi" Johnson has had his season ravaged by injuries after playing all 16 games for three straight seasons.

Just go after the player with the best combination of talent (AD is obviously one of the most talented in the league) and situation (incredible offensive line, horrible passing game).
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby ivesaidway2much » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:56 pm

russellzisky wrote:

Again, yards-per-carry in '07 coming into today:

Adrian 6.4
Taylor 4.8

Keep in mind Taylor got to play in one game against Oakland. Yeah, we know the Vikings have a great O-line and they deserve credit, but you really shouldn't be taking any credit away from Peterson, either. If you're dissing him, I really don't think you've actually seen him play.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove with those numbers. Taylor is an average back, but running behind the Vikings' offensive line he's averaging more yards per carry than Tomlinson, Westbrook, or Addai.
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Twisted Sister » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:05 pm

No doubt, AP is a stud. However, is this the result of the Hutchinson trade 2 years ago (look at the decline of SA)? Usually takes an OL a year or 2 to gel.

I'm not a Vikes fan, so correct me if I'm wrong here on the Hutch trade.

Many variables, and I think this is a big one (not the only one).
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 4Pack » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:23 pm

SOB wised up and now wants MJD, Marion Barber, and my # 1...for Peterson and his # 5. Grrrrr.....that would leave me with Addai and Peterson at RB (a pretty potent duo)...but there goes my depth at RB.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WeekSixteen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:57 pm

Ya your right you don't want the best RB in football. Dallas will probably trade Julius Jones, and Fred Taylor will hopefully retire, leaving you with 2 studs who should routinely get you 100 yds a 1 TD a week, while Adrian Peterson runs behind one of the best lines in the NFL rushing for 2000 yards a season and 20 er so TDs.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:08 pm

ivesaidway2much wrote:

just watch him play, the things he does goes beyond blocking...its easy to point out a line and how good their blocking for other backs, but chestor taylor is a solid back to begin with, we cant count that oakland game because who hasnt ran wild on them this year...but Peterson is more then just running through huge holes, he makes defenders miss downfield, if you watch him run there isnt another back that matches his blend of size, power, speed, and quickness as a total package, he can burn the entire defense, or run everyone over, he makes the entire defense look like college teams...

Im not taking anything away from that line, they are good, but all you have to do is watch peterson to know he's more then just running through holes, you can plug in a back to get 100 yds and a td behind that line maybe, but he does way more then that
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer