Adrian Peterson (Vikes)? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Adrian Peterson (Vikes)?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Adrian Peterson (Vikes)?

Postby 4Pack » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:17 pm

Jason X wrote:Ya your right you don't want the best RB in football. Dallas will probably trade Julius Jones, and Fred Taylor will hopefully retire, leaving you with 2 studs who should routinely get you 100 yds a 1 TD a week, while Adrian Peterson runs behind one of the best lines in the NFL rushing for 2000 yards a season and 20 er so TDs.

Yeah...nice sarcasm. Being from Minnesota...I would not expect an unbiased opinion of Peterson from you though.

Always kind of nice to have a solid RB on your bench though in case of the unfortunate injury. But then again..this is Adrian Peterson..who is a guaranteed 2,000 yards and 20 TD's a season. :-b The man has ZERO chance of being injured. Actually..who cares if he is hurt..just having him on you roster ANYWHERE is enough to guarantee you a win.

Yeah...might want to learn the game of fantasy football before you comment again.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:26 pm

4Pack wrote:SOB wised up and now wants MJD, Marion Barber, and my # 1...for Peterson and his # 5. Grrrrr.....that would leave me with Addai and Peterson at RB (a pretty potent duo)...but there goes my depth at RB.

That's definitely not worth it at this point. Try to bring his price down so that you're not giving up both those backs.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 4Pack » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:33 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
4Pack wrote:SOB wised up and now wants MJD, Marion Barber, and my # 1...for Peterson and his # 5. Grrrrr.....that would leave me with Addai and Peterson at RB (a pretty potent duo)...but there goes my depth at RB.

That's definitely not worth it at this point. Try to bring his price down so that you're not giving up both those backs.

Thanks Steeler...kind of confirms what I was thinking also.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby WeekSixteen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:03 pm

4Pack wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:

Thanks Steeler...kind of confirms what I was thinking also.

Being from Wisconsin I can see why you wouldn't want this injury riddled ROY on your team. Maybe you should learn how to play in a keeper league. You didn't say this was a dynasty where you keep everyone forever. A keeper implies you keep maybe 1 at each position or a group of 3-5. Assuming your in a league like that, passing up on a huge talent and probable #1 or #2 pick in a full draft next year, to keep 2 RBs as "depth" doesn't make a lot of sense if your trying to field the best lineup possible.

First and I think you would agree that by having Peterson in your lineup each week, hes pretty much a lock for more points than Barber or MJD could give you.

Two if your keeping both of those players to support each other as depth what do you think the chances are of both of them going injury free the whole year? pretty small, so you'd have to start one of them. Do you think 1 guy (ADP) has a better chance to go through a whole season injury free or 2 RBs for "depth"?

Third in this keeper league I doubt anyone keeps Chester Taylor, and he can be had for much cheaper and you dont have to pass up on the best talent in Fantasy Football in a keeper/dynasty league to get him. I think Chester if he had to fill in for ADP would put up near identical numbers to Barber or MJD on a limited game basis.

I don't believe in having a bench full of talent, as I would be stressing about who start every week, and the chances of me fielding the best lineup points wise every week probably runs about 85% efficiency on points possible. So I trade that bench talent for superstars at each position that I can keep from year to year. This year I got Moss, James Jones the week before his 4 TD explosion for Larry Fitz, Plaxico, Jamal Lewis, and a couple mid value picks next year. In my league I can only keep one at each position, so going into a season with the best players at each position gives me an instant leg up. Plus with a superstar you can always trade him later if you really need help in other areas.

It's your call and all sarcasm aside, I do not agree with sitting on those 2 pretty good backs for ADP who is marvelous real and fantasy wise. Plus if having to give up a pick really has your panties in a bunch, remember that picks are the opportunity to get a player you hope will live up to his draft value, and thats certainly not true for the first round of any draft this year, its a bit of a gamble. But when your getting a for sure #1 or #2 pick next year and superstar talent like Peterson I don't see how you don't do it..

You don't have to agree with my logic, but I have 4 years in a high dollar keeper league and in 4 seasons, I've never had a losing year, and every year I've ended the season as the team with the most points scored.

My team this year (We had to find a new league this year as our old closed after 3 years, so we had a new keeper draft this year)
QB Peyton Manning (1.12)
RB Adrian Peterson (4.01)
RB Kevin Jones (12.09)
WR Randy Moss (traded Plax, Fitz, and Jamal Lewis)
WR Reggie Wayne (traded Derick Mason 2008 2.01 for him and 2.12 next year)
WR Donald Driver or Chris Henry
TE Antonio Gates (3.12)

I believe in having the best player at each position, giving me a lineup I have no qualms about on a week by week basis. Not everything I say would apply if you keep any 5 or so players. But I've had great success, maybe you have great success with all your depth, but I have no trouble plugging in injury fill ins like Jessie Chatman, or Chris Henry, there is plenty of cheap depth out there.. but only ONE Adrian Peterson worth his salt.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby 4Pack » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:22 pm

Nice reply...but any hatred I have for the Vikings plays no part in who I have on my fantasy teams.

To each his own...but the sarcasm was totally uncalled for IMO. Everyone manages their fantasy team differently and I happen to feel more comfortable with a little depth. Then again..if you have the best player at every position...depth is really not a priority. I have never been lucky enough to be in a league where the other managers are so incompetent that I am allowed to obtain the best at each position.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby WeekSixteen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:38 pm

4Pack wrote:Nice reply...but any hatred I have for the Vikings plays no part in who I have on my fantasy teams.

To each his own...but the sarcasm was totally uncalled for IMO. Everyone manages their fantasy team differently and I happen to feel more comfortable with a little depth. Then again..if you have the best player at every position...depth is really not a priority. I have never been lucky enough to be in a league where the other managers are so incompetent that I am allowed to obtain the best at each position.

I guess mocking if your way of self defense since you had little to say about my previous post.

Since you attacked my league, I'm very confident that my league is very competitive and since I don't know anything about your league, I bet I could easily dominate your league and team since I would make the move for Peterson. I clearly showed how I obtained all my players, most through the draft and a good trade but had to give up a lot to get Moss, and Reggie Wayne.

You are right that depth is not a big concern when you have a solid lineup, but it is, I assume that players will miss games here and there so I try to secure some emergency starters, Jessie Chatman, Chris Henry, James Jones ect.. to get me through until my guys are back. I see no reason to keep good players on your bench, when another owner will give you a clearly much better player to put into your lineup for them.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:36 am

I wouldnt give up MJD and Barber, especially if this is a dynasty or a keeper, barber could very well be a feature back next year who can score alot, same for drew, Peterson is a beast but im a firm believer if you build a solid team top to bottom u can go just as far
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby 4Pack » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:20 pm

Jason X wrote:
4Pack wrote:Nice reply...but any hatred I have for the Vikings plays no part in who I have on my fantasy teams.

I guess mocking if your way of self defense since you had little to say about my previous post.

Since you attacked my league, I'm very confident that my league is very competitive and since I don't know anything about your league, I bet I could easily dominate your league and team since I would make the move for Peterson. I clearly showed how I obtained all my players, most through the draft and a good trade but had to give up a lot to get Moss, and Reggie Wayne.

You are right that depth is not a big concern when you have a solid lineup, but it is, I assume that

layers will miss games here and there so I try to secure some emergency starters, Jessie Chatman, Chris Henry, James Jones ect.. to get me through until my guys are back. I see no reason to keep good players on your bench, when another owner will give you a clearly much better player to put into your lineup for them.

Mocking? I don't see where I was mocking anything. Neither did I attack your league. I stated a fact....I truly have never been in a league where I have been able to acquire the best player at every position. I have however heard of it happening in Yahoo leagues at times when one manager actually has 5-6 teams in the league. Sorry...but I find it hard to believe that most of the other mangers in your league are actually paying attention if you can acquire such a star studded team.

Easily dominate my league? No comment on that one...hate to offend you any more that I already have.

BTW..what exactly did you expect me to say about your previous post? Were you trying to impress me with it?
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:18 pm

You made a post looking for advice on an ADP trade, I guess I'm the only one saying do it.

If you think you can win by not doing it than more power to you, I simply wanted to give you other reasons to think about regarding the trade.

I give up a lot to get good players and then have good drafts to give myself an advantage, my success is simply that success. You can't simply write it off as incompetence of the other owners since you have no idea what my league is like or the cost and effort that owners in my league put into it.

But like I said before if either MJD or Marion Barber busts than you will be a fool for not taking this trade. It reminds me a lot of the possible Johan Santana trade right now, teams don't want to give up anybody, but he is the best pitcher in baseball. ADP is by a majority of owners probably the number #1 RB and maybe player in a keeper/dynasty league. Do you think his price will ever go down from here? I think he will turn into an unacquirable player much like LT2 was the last few years.

Fantasy football is also a game of stats and percentages, and the probability that either MJD or Marion Barber will bust is pretty good, and they don't even have to bust it could be circumstance, but it is fair to good, and if either one of them ever busts then you are looking at Barber for ADP or MJD for ADP and then it is even more obvious.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby 4Pack » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:53 pm

Jason X wrote:You made a post looking for advice on an ADP trade, I guess I'm the only one saying do it.

If you think you can win by not doing it than more power to you, I simply wanted to give you other reasons to think about regarding the trade.

I give up a lot to get good players and then have good drafts to give myself an advantage, my success is simply that success. You can't simply write it off as incompetence of the other owners since you have no idea what my league is like or the cost and effort that owners in my league put into it.

But like I said before if either MJD or Marion Barber busts than you will be a fool for not taking this trade. It reminds me a lot of the possible Johan Santana trade right now, teams don't want to give up anybody, but he is the best pitcher in baseball. ADP is by a majority of owners probably the number #1 RB and maybe player in a keeper/dynasty league. Do you think his price will ever go down from here? I think he will turn into an unacquirable player much like LT2 was the last few years.

Fantasy football is also a game of stats and percentages, and the probability that either MJD or Marion Barber will bust is pretty good, and they don't even have to bust it could be circumstance, but it is fair to good, and if either one of them ever busts then you are looking at Barber for ADP or MJD for ADP and then it is even more obvious.

Off topic but...any way possible that the Twins are able to keep Santana? Your right...he is the best pitcher in baseball IMO. Any word on Liriano and his status for the coming season?
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk