The downfall of a board icon - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

The downfall of a board icon

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The downfall of a board icon

Postby SniperShot » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:54 pm

A PBC will only be as great as its participants.

A PBC will only mean as much as people are willing to risk and make it mean.

Times are a changing and while it might not necessarily be for the worse PBC's are not what they used to be. PBC's should mainly be reserved for two instances, a divisional game and/or a game with huge implications. Non conference games should almost never be PBCed and I've seen a few this year. Thumbs down to that. Unless you have a very fitting and important reason to PBC one of those games I would tend to avoid that. I remember somebody made a PBC this year and I posted in there "Is there ANY reason this PBC could be meaningful?" I remember getting back something like the assistant QB coach of the Cowboys used to be a coach on the other team. That's not grounds for a PBC people! I try not to get into any confrontations around here but at times I've politely (Or maybe at times not so politely) questioned why a PBC was issued.

Here's an example of a very successful PBC this season: viewtopic.php?t=349034

What made that PBC great? BOLD predictions, things are needed to put on the line. Meaning behind a PBC is what makes it fun and too many times we've had lifeless PBC's. That PBC (Bears/Cowboys week 3) had plenty of meaning and in my opinion was an NFC superiority swinging game.

Wager the avatar, wear a sig of shame, go for a MONTH not just a week. Things like this provide great entertainment and make these things memorable. Take this from someone who's been a part of some of the most epic past PBC's.

I'm too lazy to run a few more searches but I'm thinking of a few right now that were unforgettable PBC's: Like Week 1 between the Colts and Ravens in 2005, Sunday Night Football, deluxe and Duran Duran had at it... Find that thread, I still use the Peyton Manning NASA picture in Del's milestone threads, even though he hates remembering that because the Ravens lost. :-b That's what makes this stuff so GREAT. If you can laugh and remember things years down the road, that's what makes a good PBC. That's what we need more of. Pictures, trashtalk, predictions, DO IT. Win or lose you'll make memories and keep this stuff great. Put your heart into it. ;-D ;-D
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:01 pm

SniperShot wrote:A PBC will only be as great as its participants.

A PBC will only mean as much as people are willing to risk and make it mean.

Times are a changing and while it might not necessarily be for the worse PBC's are not what they used to be. PBC's should mainly be reserved for two instances, a divisional game and/or a game with huge implications. Non conference games should almost never be PBCed and I've seen a few this year. Thumbs down to that. Unless you have a very fitting and important reason to PBC one of those games I would tend to avoid that. I remember somebody made a PBC this year and I posted in there "Is there ANY reason this PBC could be meaningful?" I remember getting back something like the assistant QB coach of the Cowboys used to be a coach on the other team. That's not grounds for a PBC people! I try not to get into any confrontations around here but at times I've politely (Or maybe at times not so politely) questioned why a PBC was issued.

Here's an example of a very successful PBC this season: viewtopic.php?t=349034

What made that PBC great? BOLD predictions, things are needed to put on the line. Meaning behind a PBC is what makes it fun and too many times we've had lifeless PBC's. That PBC (Bears/Cowboys week 3) had plenty of meaning and in my opinion was an NFC superiority swinging game.

Wager the avatar, wear a sig of shame, go for a MONTH not just a week. Things like this provide great entertainment and make these things memorable. Take this from someone who's been a part of some of the most epic past PBC's.

I'm too lazy to run a few more searches but I'm thinking of a few right now that were unforgettable PBC's: Like Week 1 between the Colts and Ravens in 2005, Sunday Night Football, deluxe and Duran Duran had at it... Find that thread, I still use the Peyton Manning NASA picture in Del's milestone threads, even though he hates remembering that because the Ravens lost. :-b That's what makes this stuff so GREAT. If you can laugh and remember things years down the road, that's what makes a good PBC. That's what we need more of. Pictures, trashtalk, predictions, DO IT. Win or lose you'll make memories and keep this stuff great. Put your heart into it. ;-D ;-D

Great post Sniper ;-D I agree 110% I have been in very few PCBs...one reason is I'm a Lions fan !+) so, there haven't been very many big games.

Here is the 2005 thread ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:03 pm

Hopefully we'll get some good turnout for Steelers-Patriots. ;-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby treat24 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:13 pm

The was a great post sniper. (i will PM you after this post)

Anything you think I could do to help the PBC? I.E pick the games? no idea... throwing out ideas...

I've been a part of some nice ones in years past, would love to see the passion back in it...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby fantasynewbie7 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:31 pm

I would take part in the PBC's if I only knew how to put a paper bag or something as such on my avatar. Hell, I don't even know how to put an avatar on. If someone could tell me how, then for sure I would be take part in these pbc's.
fantasynewbie7
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby treat24 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:15 pm

fantasynewbie7 wrote:I would take part in the PBC's if I only knew how to put a paper bag or something as such on my avatar. Hell, I don't even know how to put an avatar on. If someone could tell me how, then for sure I would be take part in these pbc's.

user control panel > profile > avatar > display gallery button...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Payne Dailey » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:18 pm

Sniper that was a great post, thank you.

Moon, hey buddy whats up? I was gone from the cafe last year and just been hit & run posting this year. Real life is is kicking fantasy life's ass. I was hoping you or float/jet would have answered my nfl.com question in GT. That song is still driving me crazy.

Dream & Treat what's up with your av's? Not that theres anything wrong with that.
Payne Dailey
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 am

Payne Dailey wrote:Sniper that was a great post, thank you.

Moon, hey buddy whats up? I was gone from the cafe last year and just been hit & run posting this year. Real life is is kicking fantasy life's ass. I was hoping you or float/jet would have answered my nfl.com question in GT. That song is still driving me crazy.

Dream & Treat what's up with your av's? Not that theres anything wrong with that.

hehe, new mod hazing.

I have no idea what the song is either :-/
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:58 pm

treat24 wrote:
Payne Dailey wrote:Sniper that was a great post, thank you.

hehe, new mod hazing.

Or so they claim.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:49 pm

SniperShot wrote:

lol those were good times indeed ;-D :-D . dont forget the rematch (viewtopic.php?t=320718&hilit=colts+ravens+PBC), which was almost equally entertaining...yet had the same outcome :-b !+)

honestly i feel like a lot of the blame lies on me with the PBC ordeal. back when i wrote the original thread for the PBC rules...i was fairly new to it and didnt understand the full concept behind them...not to mention it was a bit different because we didnt have separate thread for commentary- we actually used the challenge threads to discuss the games also. in the rules thread i named as the reference the ravens against the dolphins (a non conference game that i think had just happened so it was fresh on my mind). originally i didnt see anything wrong with non-conference challenges, especially with buddies...but as time moved on and the cafe became more popular, everything just became too watered down. there were challenges for everything. not just games, but for individual players and all kinds of random things...and people were using the actual paperbag avatar for those challenges rather than something else. paperbags were seen everywhere and became less of a big deal, and less embarrassing to wear.

after all of that started i recommended that my original rules post be edited to state that paper bag challenges should only be reserved for conference games/playoffs, but i never got an ok, and since im not a mod...i never did it since its not my call. i hope that at some point it does get edited. leave the PBC for those big games and let people issue challenges for sigs avatars, or whatever separate...and leave the sacred PBC avatar for what its intended. doing so would give it meaning again and making and taking challenges more desirable. i dont enter challenges that are non conference anymore for this reason.

i agree with the OP, it is a part of the cafe that was very enjoyable...and while it still is, its not nearly like it was in the past.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting