The downfall of a board icon - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

The downfall of a board icon

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The downfall of a board icon

Postby treat24 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:43 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:after all of that started i recommended that my original rules post be edited to state that paper bag challenges should only be reserved for conference games/playoffs, but i never got an ok, and since im not a mod...i never did it since its not my call. i hope that at some point it does get edited. leave the PBC for those big games and let people issue challenges for sigs avatars, or whatever separate...and leave the sacred PBC avatar for what its intended. doing so would give it meaning again and making and taking challenges more desirable.

it's your post, why can't you edit it? If you're just waiting for an ok, ok go for it... ;-) I took over the "modding" of the PBC stuff because Aww went awol. I'm all for anything that makes this more meaningful. Go ahead and edit that into the original post. The only issue is: How many people proposing these challenges make sure to check out the rules first though. Any suggestions for what we could do?

I've been following this thread and here's my only Idea.

Sticky a thread to the top.
Have it say "Paper Bag Challenge Games for the 2008 season" (obviously next year in my head).
The first post will contain the PBC challenge rules and Which games this season are "PBC-able"
I will personally create the challenege threads each week.
If there is a game that deserves a PBC, you propose it in that thread a week or more before the game. It will get added, assuming it fits the criteria or is deserving

That would limit the games that actually have PBC's to the games that deserve them. I'd wager some newbs will issue challenges without knowing here and there... but I think eventually it would work. If we post in the "random challenge" what the rules are. Or I could just lock random challenges }:-)

any thoughts... let's brainstorm here...

:-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby treat24 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:49 pm

also, we should define some specific criteria for which games are PBC-able

in division
undefeated
top teams
playoffs

:-?
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:45 pm

treat24 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:after all of that started i recommended that my original rules post be edited to state that paper bag challenges should only be reserved for conference games/playoffs, but i never got an ok, and since im not a mod...i never did it since its not my call. i hope that at some point it does get edited. leave the PBC for those big games and let people issue challenges for sigs avatars, or whatever separate...and leave the sacred PBC avatar for what its intended. doing so would give it meaning again and making and taking challenges more desirable.

it's your post, why can't you edit it? If you're just waiting for an ok, ok go for it... ;-) I took over the "modding" of the PBC stuff because Aww went awol. I'm all for anything that makes this more meaningful. Go ahead and edit that into the original post. The only issue is: How many people proposing these challenges make sure to check out the rules first though. Any suggestions for what we could do?

I've been following this thread and here's my only Idea.

Sticky a thread to the top.
Have it say "Paper Bag Challenge Games for the 2008 season" (obviously next year in my head).
The first post will contain the PBC challenge rules and Which games this season are "PBC-able"
I will personally create the challenege threads each week.
If there is a game that deserves a PBC, you propose it in that thread a week or more before the game. It will get added, assuming it fits the criteria or is deserving

That would limit the games that actually have PBC's to the games that deserve them. I'd wager some newbs will issue challenges without knowing here and there... but I think eventually it would work. If we post in the "random challenge" what the rules are. Or I could just lock random challenges }:-)

any thoughts... let's brainstorm here...

:-D

i like those ideas ;-D

to add to that idea...i would be willing to help out people by making avatars/sigs or whatnot for people interested in making bets on various non-PBC challenges, and that could even be posted in the rules/criteria thread (with like a link to my PM box for requests or something). that way new guys, or guys that just want to root for their teams or players with wagers can get themselves a graphic to use, but not the PBC avatar.

as far as criteria...as much as i have loved challenges with buds in the past....i vote for divisional and playoffs PBCs only. i think there will be too much grey area if anything else is allowed. ill still be able to challenge my buds like DDD in a non conference game using wagers besides the PBC avatar...and that will still be fun, and i think with people having a graphics guy at their disposal they can still have personal battles and wages without involving the avatars. just my opinion :-B :*)

about my rules post...ill go ahead and edit it after decisions get made about stuff ;-D !+)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 pm

PBC to Treat and Delux that the rules are not changed by Friday? :-D

I have noticed a drop in participation compared to last year. I started PBCing when people were PBCing everything so I always thought thats how it was. And now hearing the history of the PBC I agree some rules need to be set in place to ensure the importance of the matchup isn't lost.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Munboy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:02 am

I've always agreed with the rules when they were more of just a guideline and i think putting them more set in stone is a great idea. And maybe a few of the regulars can get them out more to the new guys. Seems like there's a few on here who don't even know what they are!
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby treat24 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:46 am

Cowboys and Munboy, good to hear more thoughts on this. ;-D

Cowboys 4 life wrote:PBC to Treat and Delux that the rules are not changed by Friday? :-D

that would be some quick turn around. O:-)

Deluxe, since this is your baby... What do you think about this.

Have the Rules, Blacklist?, Challenge game schedule in one post. (I don't want the top of GC to have 3-4 stickies). WIth the thread title being "2007 Paper Bag Challenge (PBC) Rules and Games Thread" It might need some work... but I think it's important that "Paper Bag Challenge (PBC)" be in it... so that noobs know what "PBC" means when they see it. It would also have the link to your PM box. Or, if all this is in one thread, we might be able to have a sticky for people who want to make sig/av challenges. My guess is that they can post in that thread and maybe Madas, you, leber, joel, who knows... could be able to add their help. I can see it getting duanting for you if this "new system" starts to fly.

I think we could go live with this for week 15. I think I would prefer that you post the original, since I can edit any post anyway. It doesn't really matter though. Sticky a notice for a week for people not to issue PBC's ... that they will be issued for them. The only reason I think a new thread might be needed instead of editing the rules thread, is because of the broadness of the thread. The thread will be used for recommending games to be added to the PBC schedule and reporting blacklisted people. It also allows us to look back on previous years with search. Like which games were PBC'd. altering the OP each year would lose the previous year's PBC schedule and other items.

I also figured I could copy/paste the rules in each PBC's first post. Like i said. it will be muddy at first. but after people get used to it, it'll run smooth and mean more, IMO.

Another question... what do you think of the blacklist. Is it necessary? Should it be altered? I think forgetting to throw on the bag (i don't believe anyone intentionally fails to put it on.) should require the blacklisted person to put it on for two weeks or a month once they finally get bagged. Then they go back to doing PBCs. I just feel a blacklist decreases PBC activity unnecessarily.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:43 pm

treat24 wrote:Cowboys and Munboy, good to hear more thoughts on this. ;-D

Cowboys 4 life wrote:PBC to Treat and Delux that the rules are not changed by Friday? :-D

that would be some quick turn around. O:-)

Deluxe, since this is your baby... What do you think about this.

Have the Rules, Blacklist?, Challenge game schedule in one post. (I don't want the top of GC to have 3-4 stickies). WIth the thread title being "2007 Paper Bag Challenge (PBC) Rules and Games Thread" It might need some work... but I think it's important that "Paper Bag Challenge (PBC)" be in it... so that noobs know what "PBC" means when they see it. It would also have the link to your PM box. Or, if all this is in one thread, we might be able to have a sticky for people who want to make sig/av challenges. My guess is that they can post in that thread and maybe Madas, you, leber, joel, who knows... could be able to add their help. I can see it getting duanting for you if this "new system" starts to fly.

I think we could go live with this for week 15. I think I would prefer that you post the original, since I can edit any post anyway. It doesn't really matter though. Sticky a notice for a week for people not to issue PBC's ... that they will be issued for them. The only reason I think a new thread might be needed instead of editing the rules thread, is because of the broadness of the thread. The thread will be used for recommending games to be added to the PBC schedule and reporting blacklisted people. It also allows us to look back on previous years with search. Like which games were PBC'd. altering the OP each year would lose the previous year's PBC schedule and other items.

I also figured I could copy/paste the rules in each PBC's first post. Like i said. it will be muddy at first. but after people get used to it, it'll run smooth and mean more, IMO.

Another question... what do you think of the blacklist. Is it necessary? Should it be altered? I think forgetting to throw on the bag (i don't believe anyone intentionally fails to put it on.) should require the blacklisted person to put it on for two weeks or a month once they finally get bagged. Then they go back to doing PBCs. I just feel a blacklist decreases PBC activity unnecessarily.

yeah all of that sounds good to me. ;-D the only issues i see in this kind of a system are an increased number of threads in this forum (since not every division game has people PBCing) and an increased workload for you to have to create all those threads. i might suggest if we do go this route, the unused threads get deleted after the games are played. i could see after full seasons , this forum would be cluttered with a lot of empty PBC threads.

the blacklist has always seemed a bit pointless to me. i mean- if a person doesnt care to put on the bag, they most likely dont care if there name is on a list that no one reads anyways. GP used to do that and very few people that were listed on it actually cared enough to get removed from it. i have seen a number of times where people have just not got a chance to come back to the cafe to change thier avatar for a few days after the game, and hadnt posted...so its tough to judge on what should be penalized. maybe something like the person has to wear it for 7 days (so if they dont get around to putting it on until wednesday, they wear it until the following wednesday), regardless of when they put on the avatar, and if they exceed 5 days after the game is over without putting it on they must wear it for 2 weeks. i dont know, just throwing out ideas. another thing that needs to be considered with that is that often there are back to back divisional games, so if someone didnt bag up until late, they might only wear their bag a few days before the next bet was over. :-?
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:48 pm

Perhaps instead of blacklisting sackless bagless PBC losers we should give them a black bag icon as a warning to those willing to engage in PBCs from them.
And maybe we can have some sort of recognition for team loyalty/fan devotion for those who take part in challenges and in team forums.

As for only being able to challenge for certain games I can understand it, but there are things that make some games special to different people. I would have no problem with having a skinsfan wear a I love the Lions baggie if I were to PBC him on a Lions/Skins game. We are not divisional rivals and most of the time the games are meaningless, but I hate the Skins for beating the garbage out of the Lions everytime we play them.
I do like the idea of having to wear the opposing teams colors after losing better than a simple paper bag.
As a Lions fan, wearing a paper bag isn't exactly unusual or even shameful. :-b :-{

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:26 pm

Guess I'm guilty of putting up weekly Colts PBC's up till around Thanksgiving this year. It's my first year posting much and I am all Colts happy. But, I stopped. Any new rules about them to emphasize what they mean is great as far as I'm concerned.

I also like to think my Colts could fall under a Top Teams title :-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby treat24 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:04 am

I'm just bumping this to the top so I don't forget about it. It's my weekend and I might try to get something done here. I think before the playoff PBCs start rolling in is a more realistic goal. Who knows, maybe I'll get a bug up my hind quarters... 8-o
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting