Ethics question: Alright for the commish to lock rosters - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ethics question: Alright for the commish to lock rosters

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ethics question: Alright for the commish to lock rosters

Postby harold_bush » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:35 am

I'm the longtime commish in a league of friends. The league is extremely competitive, and people take it very seriously. Tonight's game will end the regular season, which means the bottom four teams won't be playing any more games.

As a result, I was giving consideration to locking those bottom four teams from adding/dropping players. I don't think we have anyone that would mess with the playoffs by dropping valuable players, but who knows? I also don't think any of the teams that are done would pick up the hot wire pickups, but who knows? I can't see any reason at all for allowing them to pick up and drop players at this point, but wanted wanted to make sure there was something I wasn't thinking about. They can still post and participate that way, just not mess w/ players.

Thoughts?
1 pt.= 10 yds rushing/receiving, 1 pt. = 25 yds passing, 1/2 pt = PPR,

QB- Vick/Flacco/Favre
RB- Arian Foster
RB -Adrian Peterson
WR-Steve Smith (Giants)
WR-Welker
TE- Celek
WR/RB - Ray Rice

Bench- Santonio Holmes, Ryan Torain, McGahee, Bowe
harold_bush
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ethics question: Alright for the commish to lock rosters

Postby moonhead » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:58 am

lock em up. can't hurt anything.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Retet » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:18 am

I think it's a shame to halt the bottom dweller's FF life -- our league makes a "losers" bracket for the non-playoff teams, so that they can continue to enjoy fantasy football. And the prize of the losers' bracket? The winner gets the #1 overall pick of next year's draft.

So, I guess, locking the rosters seems fair. But man, it doesn't seem very fun.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SniperShot » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:08 pm

Retet wrote:I think it's a shame to halt the bottom dweller's FF life -- our league makes a "losers" bracket for the non-playoff teams, so that they can continue to enjoy fantasy football. And the prize of the losers' bracket? The winner gets the #1 overall pick of next year's draft.

So, I guess, locking the rosters seems fair. But man, it doesn't seem very fun.
That's a great idea, definitely one I will implement down the road in another league. ;-D
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby robotninja » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:13 pm

Agreed to liking the idea of a losers bracket.

Back on topic, I think you should leave the rosters open you say yourself that you dont have any fear of your league members messing with the playoffs so why make it an issue. As commish you still have the ability to veto any drops or compleltly unfair trades (collusion) before it is official and affects playoffs so I would just leave it alone and deal with it IF it happens.
10 Team Std Scoring No PPR
QB Stafford
RB Spiller
RB Morris
WR Nelson
WR Reggie Wayne
WR/TE Jimmy Graham
Flex Ridley
K and Def by committee
Min and Hartley

Bench
A Brown (pit)
Bernard Pierce
Roy Helu
Bryce Brown
Mark Ingram
Marlon Brown
robotninja
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 29)

Postby biju » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:33 pm

I guess this isn't a keeper or dynasty league then, if you're considering locking the rosters. :-D

In the league I commish I try my hardest to do four things:

1. Maintain a fair balance of competition within the league
2. Keep owners from arguing with other owners. Mostly this is kept in check by enforcing #1.
3. Keep out of the way of how owners manage their teams with the exception of #1 and #2
4. Always stick to the rules you laid out in the beginning of the year, unless absolutely necessary to maintain #1 and #2, and sometimes #3.

In the case you're talking about, it essentially violates "rule" #3, but in order to keep #1 and #2 in check. If someone were to pick up a hot player off the waiver wire with nothing to play for, it could be assumed that another owner asked them to do it to block a team that they are up against in the upcoming week.

It might also violate rule #4 though, and this is where it gets tricky. Don't make this change because you have the #2 waiver claim and the #1 team is a non-playoff team, and you think the #1 team is going to use their waiver claim on <insert player that will make a difference> and block you from getting that player. It will look shady and ruin your league. I think sticking with #3 is the best method and keep the teams unlocked. If you have a problem, talk with the other owners before it becomes a problem.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Assuming it's not a dynasty or keeper, then by all means go ahead. It isn't like these owners have any critical matchups coming up.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby monkiesatemybaby » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:47 pm

I wouldn't for the simple reason that you didn't say in advance you were going to. Not that it will make any real difference in a non-keeper, but it will make you look kind of imperious if you do. Just let it ride, and veto anything super shady just like you would have during the regular season.
sig by abrunn11 da bomb
Believe it or not...the choice is yours
monkiesatemybaby
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk