Playoff strategy .. ethical.. what to do? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Playoff strategy .. ethical.. what to do?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playoff strategy .. ethical.. what to do?

Postby mbaltrun » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:22 pm

So I have been in 1st all year clintched weeks ago. I play the guy in 4th next week ( 1st - 4th make playoffs) and the guy in fifth has brady. If I beat the guy in 4th next week, I will pretty much see the guy in 5th with brady in the first round.

Since I really dont want to see Brady at all in the playoffs, losing next week would be great. My problem is that I plawould have to blatently y people that i wouldn't normally do. Is this ethical to do?

I would be sitting westbrook, grant (vs oak), farve, braylon and andre.

Seems ok to me now.
mbaltrun
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Playoff strategy .. ethical.. what to do?

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:59 pm

Technically, it is a logical strategy. Ethically, it's shady and you will undoubtedly take heat for it.

If this is a league with good friends, I wouldn't recommend it because you will at some point have to talk to these people again. If it's a league with people you probably will never interact with again, it isn't as big a deal.

Above all, if this is a year-to-year league and you're still considering it (even though I don't recommend tanking in a year-to-year league), TALK TO THE COMMISH! Make sure you know how he will react to you doing this. If he will kick you out of the league, then obviously don't do it.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it either way. What happens if the Steelers pick off Brady three times (I can dream, can't I?) and his team has an awful week, whereas the team that you let into the playoffs explodes and beats you by 30+? There's no way to predict how a team will do week to week.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:24 pm

this wouldnt fly in any league i'm in.

i think any sensible commish would adjust your lineup and/or ban you for next year
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benb18a » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:30 pm

The team with Brady is in fifth place? The rest of his team must be injury riddled or busts. I would just play it out. What you are doing is unethically changing who makes the playoffs, instead of which spots the playoff teams are going to be, like my quandary was about. If you actually know anybody in this league, it is a money league or it is a keeper, redraft or dynasty league, I would highly advise against this.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:49 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Technically, it is a logical strategy. Ethically, it's shady and you will undoubtedly take heat for it.

My thoughts exactly. Play it out.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AllDay » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:12 pm

I'm surprised so many people are afraid of playing Brady.

Screw that. Bring Brady on - the rest of the Pats, too.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Oatsdad » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:35 pm

Not an ethical strategy - it's tacky. Besides, if the guy with Brady is in 5th, as others said, the rest of the roster must not be so hot, so what's the worry?
Oatsdad
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mbaltrun » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:20 am

Right on. It is a league with friends so I will play my studs this week and hope for the best come playoffs.
mbaltrun
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby 2ksports » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:27 pm

Whatever you think it takes to win, you must do it. I wouldn't play in any other league any other way. It's not against the rules and if you can control playoff matchups in your favor, do it. You will be pissed if Brady comes back to beat you in the first round. No regrets. I advise to look at matchups for the entire team of 4th and 5th place owners for week 15 and make your decision - not just based on 1 player.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk