Should Rod be fired? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Detroit Lions

Should Rod be fired?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should Rod be fired?

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am

Is there any reason to keep this imbecile? If the Lions were to make a couple bold moves (yeah I know, never heard that one before) they could greatly improve this team. First they have to lose the idiot coaches. Rod is a D minded coach who hired his son to be DC and kept his D-line coach (not sure if he is related) despite DUI and DWN (Drivie-thru While Naked). He claims weekly that it is not a talent issue and came to town with the rhetoric of coaching em up. Get pad level and execute the fundamentals.
We are nearly two years into his reign and I see no evidence of the fundamentals getting any better. I will give him that the Lions make less penalties than at any time in the Error of the Ms* However, the blocking, tackling, attack angles, coverage schemes remain terrible. And the nagging trend of Lions teams laying a Loaf, as Rod calls it, in any game that can be hinted at as being big. So his game day prep and planning leave a lot to be desired. His inability to keep Martz under control also show a lack of leadership over these men.
Add to the arguement the draft picks and players that he coveted. White has contributed, but who else? His beloved D-line has been a total flop. And that is his specialty.
In his press conferences he is always saying that it is on him. Well I say now is the time to let him stand up and pay the price for his accountability. He is a terrible coach and should be fired.
I do not expect this to happen, I am merely expressing my disgust for this fake.





*The Error of the Ms- A dark time in Lions football lore in which vomitus was handed down to poor hungry fans in liew of winning football. Called the Ms because of the boobs behind the terror: GM & Pres Matt Millen and his coaching carosel-Marty Mornhenwig, Mariucci, and now Marinelli and Martz.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:46 pm

moochman wrote:Is there any reason to keep this imbecile? If the Lions were to make a couple bold moves (yeah I know, never heard that one before) they could greatly improve this team. First they have to lose the idiot coaches. Rod is a D minded coach who hired his son to be DC and kept his D-line coach (not sure if he is related) despite DUI and DWN (Drivie-thru While Naked). He claims weekly that it is not a talent issue and came to town with the rhetoric of coaching em up. Get pad level and execute the fundamentals.
We are nearly two years into his reign and I see no evidence of the fundamentals getting any better. I will give him that the Lions make less penalties than at any time in the Error of the Ms* However, the blocking, tackling, attack angles, coverage schemes remain terrible. And the nagging trend of Lions teams laying a Loaf, as Rod calls it, in any game that can be hinted at as being big. So his game day prep and planning leave a lot to be desired. His inability to keep Martz under control also show a lack of leadership over these men.
Add to the arguement the draft picks and players that he coveted. White has contributed, but who else? His beloved D-line has been a total flop. And that is his specialty.
In his press conferences he is always saying that it is on him. Well I say now is the time to let him stand up and pay the price for his accountability. He is a terrible coach and should be fired.
I do not expect this to happen, I am merely expressing my disgust for this fake.





*The Error of the Ms- A dark time in Lions football lore in which vomitus was handed down to poor hungry fans in liew of winning football. Called the Ms because of the boobs behind the terror: GM & Pres Matt Millen and his coaching carosel-Marty Mornhenwig, Mariucci, and now Marinelli and Martz.


i would have said give him another year but then i read the paper today and saw the Loaf references...what an absolute cornball this guy is.

if there's even a half-way decent coach on the market i'd be in favor of going for it as long as we can get rid of Martz too
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby dream_017 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:37 pm

I think that the Lions were just very bad to start with (surprised). He cut a lot of the dead weight last year...and probably would've cut more...but then we wouldn't have a team this year. So, basically, he is going to do a lot more cutting this off-season to try and build a team. I truely think that there are quite a few buying into his coaching and is probably the reason fo rthe fast start, but there are some that just don't want to or can't put in the effort for a full 16 game season...those guys will be gone. Already losing Martz...I can't see him being back, I just don't think that Rod is the one to go
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:11 am

dream_017 wrote:I think that the Lions were just very bad to start with (surprised). He cut a lot of the dead weight last year...and probably would've cut more...but then we wouldn't have a team this year. So, basically, he is going to do a lot more cutting this off-season to try and build a team. I truely think that there are quite a few buying into his coaching and is probably the reason fo rthe fast start, but there are some that just don't want to or can't put in the effort for a full 16 game season...those guys will be gone. Already losing Martz...I can't see him being back, I just don't think that Rod is the one to go


Martz has to be a goner, no? I guess that is the scarey part. Martz is a no-brainer not to return...but using Lions logic wouldn't that meant that Martz will get a new contract?
I, too, want to believe in the Rod getting rid of the riff-raff, but what will he replace them with? He brought in White, who when healthy is borderline great player. Who else?
This draft brought us exactly one player who has played any meaningful minutes on the D. And I believe strongly that Rod had a ton of input into who was drafted on D. Oh, and the player who gave those meaningful minutes? He can't tackle. Looks like he hasn't been coached-up very well.
The players he decided not to get rid of?
Kalimba-total sewage.
Redding-Paid for the sacks and behind the line of scrimmage plays he made. How does no sacks and little impact grab ya? Showed that he isn't really an impact player, but probably someone who fooled interior linemen with his outside lineman pass rush moves and they made corrections and buh-bye.
Big Blubber-Is there really anything more you need to know then this is the garbage he gives us during what methinks is a contract year. What I see in Big Lardo's play is that the only thing he likes in Detroit is the food.
The LBs are led by an over-tasked or over-rated Sims and a band of special teams players.
The secondary has player above expectations, but that only shows how low those expectations were.

So why exactly do you want Rod Marinelli to stay?
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby dream_017 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:42 pm

moochman wrote:
dream_017 wrote:I think that the Lions were just very bad to start with (surprised). He cut a lot of the dead weight last year...and probably would've cut more...but then we wouldn't have a team this year. So, basically, he is going to do a lot more cutting this off-season to try and build a team. I truely think that there are quite a few buying into his coaching and is probably the reason fo rthe fast start, but there are some that just don't want to or can't put in the effort for a full 16 game season...those guys will be gone. Already losing Martz...I can't see him being back, I just don't think that Rod is the one to go


Martz has to be a goner, no? I guess that is the scarey part. Martz is a no-brainer not to return...but using Lions logic wouldn't that meant that Martz will get a new contract?
I, too, want to believe in the Rod getting rid of the riff-raff, but what will he replace them with? He brought in White, who when healthy is borderline great player. Who else?
This draft brought us exactly one player who has played any meaningful minutes on the D. And I believe strongly that Rod had a ton of input into who was drafted on D. Oh, and the player who gave those meaningful minutes? He can't tackle. Looks like he hasn't been coached-up very well.
The players he decided not to get rid of?
Kalimba-total sewage.
Redding-Paid for the sacks and behind the line of scrimmage plays he made. How does no sacks and little impact grab ya? Showed that he isn't really an impact player, but probably someone who fooled interior linemen with his outside lineman pass rush moves and they made corrections and buh-bye.
Big Blubber-Is there really anything more you need to know then this is the garbage he gives us during what methinks is a contract year. What I see in Big Lardo's play is that the only thing he likes in Detroit is the food.
The LBs are led by an over-tasked or over-rated Sims and a band of special teams players.
The secondary has player above expectations, but that only shows how low those expectations were.

So why exactly do you want Rod Marinelli to stay?

Did Rod want to draft CJ2 and Stanton? My guess would be no. Those are 2 huge draft picks to throw away for a team that has as many holes as it does. Could he have cut Kalimba/Redding/McFatty/whole secondary? What would we have played with? The talent issue on this team is not Rods fault, I think he is trying to get players here and I think you make my point in White...sure it is only 1 guy, but what other guy has he targeted. I guess you could come back with Kalimba, since that was his pet project....and I'll give you that, but as I think we will see he will make a decision that he is not the type of player he wants and he will be out of here.

So, as you can see, it all comes back to the same thing....Millen and we all know that somebody higher up really loves him so we will continue down this road until the determination is made that...."hey wait, Millen has only brought our team down further than it was when he started" let's do something about it.

Talent and linemen are what make a football team. Look at the teams that are winning, they have talent and good linemen. We have neither. Hard to win when that's the case.

Martz is tearing this team down too. Why did Kitna make his prediction of 10 wins? Because of the offense and what have we seen....nothing close to the production they should be putting up.

I've been writing this for over 2 hours now off and on so if it doesn't make sense I will try to clarify, work has just been hectic today, so I am going to stop where I'm at :-/
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:29 am

dream_017 wrote:Did Rod want to draft CJ2 and Stanton? My guess would be no. Those are 2 huge draft picks to throw away for a team that has as many holes as it does. Could he have cut Kalimba/Redding/McFatty/whole secondary? What would we have played with? The talent issue on this team is not Rods fault, I think he is trying to get players here and I think you make my point in White...sure it is only 1 guy, but what other guy has he targeted. I guess you could come back with Kalimba, since that was his pet project....and I'll give you that, but as I think we will see he will make a decision that he is not the type of player he wants and he will be out of here.

So, as you can see, it all comes back to the same thing....Millen and we all know that somebody higher up really loves him so we will continue down this road until the determination is made that...."hey wait, Millen has only brought our team down further than it was when he started" let's do something about it.

Talent and linemen are what make a football team. Look at the teams that are winning, they have talent and good linemen. We have neither. Hard to win when that's the case.

Martz is tearing this team down too. Why did Kitna make his prediction of 10 wins? Because of the offense and what have we seen....nothing close to the production they should be putting up.

I've been writing this for over 2 hours now off and on so if it doesn't make sense I will try to clarify, work has just been hectic today, so I am going to stop where I'm at :-/


Ask yourself this about Marinelli, Dream. Do you see this team being any better at the fundamentals that when Rod first came to town? Sure less penalties, but every other fundamental is as bad as it ever was. Poor tackling, poor pad level, poor attack angles. All poor and all something Marinelli hangs his hat on. These are the fundamentals that Rod claims he will instill in players and that allows that we don't need CBs in the Tampa Twostep. He can coach em up. But are you seeing any evidence of this?
You say look at winning teams and look at the lines, that cannot be argued. But what help did Rod bring us for the lines. The infamous Millen OL carosel netted us one decent starter in Mulatalo(sp) but who did Rod insist we draft? Oh, right that guy from Texas Tech who was a perfect fit for a Martz O. What's his name? Right. He's the baseball guy Manny Ramirez. Does he even play on special teams? His draft picks, save marginal Alexander, have all gone from known reaches to total flops. No contributions with all those picks? His talent evaluation has to be questioned.
Well, Rod is a D coach anyway. So the D-line is rockin? No Marinellians Kalimbo, Redding(total flop), Lardo the Fatastic, and White the injured have not preformed anywhere close to what was expected of them. Like Rod says, that's on him. He has shown little ability in getting this overpaid bunch of slag to put it out on the field on gameday. His his coaching methods have to be called into question.

So now we have a coach who appears not to know talent well enough to see it and not be able to coach 'em up. What are his saving graces?
I don't even want to go into what a great motivator he must be. From his JV high-school flying out to Oakland on gameday to the feces we see on the field each Sunday the message seems clear: the players don't respect Rod or lack faith in him. He needs to go.

Now for a Lions riddle: When is improving to 6 or 7 wins not a sign of improvement?
When it is the Lions.

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby dream_017 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:47 am

moochman wrote:Ask yourself this about Marinelli, Dream. Do you see this team being any better at the fundamentals that when Rod first came to town? Sure less penalties, but every other fundamental is as bad as it ever was. Poor tackling, poor pad level, poor attack angles. All poor and all something Marinelli hangs his hat on. These are the fundamentals that Rod claims he will instill in players and that allows that we don't need CBs in the Tampa Twostep. He can coach em up. But are you seeing any evidence of this?
You say look at winning teams and look at the lines, that cannot be argued. But what help did Rod bring us for the lines. The infamous Millen OL carosel netted us one decent starter in Mulatalo(sp) but who did Rod insist we draft? Oh, right that guy from Texas Tech who was a perfect fit for a Martz O. What's his name? Right. He's the baseball guy Manny Ramirez. Does he even play on special teams? His draft picks, save marginal Alexander, have all gone from known reaches to total flops. No contributions with all those picks? His talent evaluation has to be questioned.
Well, Rod is a D coach anyway. So the D-line is rockin? No Marinellians Kalimbo, Redding(total flop), Lardo the Fatastic, and White the injured have not preformed anywhere close to what was expected of them. Like Rod says, that's on him. He has shown little ability in getting this overpaid bunch of slag to put it out on the field on gameday. His his coaching methods have to be called into question.

So now we have a coach who appears not to know talent well enough to see it and not be able to coach 'em up. What are his saving graces?
I don't even want to go into what a great motivator he must be. From his JV high-school flying out to Oakland on gameday to the feces we see on the field each Sunday the message seems clear: the players don't respect Rod or lack faith in him. He needs to go.

Now for a Lions riddle: When is improving to 6 or 7 wins not a sign of improvement?
When it is the Lions.

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

I totally agree with you on the talent issue, but I think where we disagree is who is evaluating that talent. I don't think Rod has as much influence on the draft as you think...which is another topic :-{ You don't think the defense has kept us in games? I think they have done a decent job...especially with the dismal projections of the defense. If it weren't for the offensive woes (which is our strong point :-* ), I think we would have a very good defense. You can not expect these guys to make a stop and then have the offense lay an egg with a 3 and out, which should never happen to this offense. When they do make a stop or give the Big O decent field position it is 50/50 that we even get a field goal. Look at the Green Bay game. We score TDs the first 2 times we touch the ball instead of field goals that is a different game...the crowd stays in it...Favre is rattled and we probably end up winning that game. But the D gives up a long drive and we are losing 7-6. So, while I don't think Rod is the next Lombardi or Halas, I think he does have this team, and we will see by the players he gets rid of....only thing is I have no confidence in the players that will come in.

Like my arguements for Joey in past years...there are many other things wrong with this team than Rod.

To answer you original question, I think penalties are a huge change and I think comes from Rod, the others you mention I think go more to the talent issue.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby moochman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:00 pm

We both agree that the talent is putrid for the most part. But when Rod came to town he said he could coach em up and the the problems were in the details. Pad level, squaring up, blah blah blah. Yet we see a team that is failing terribly in all aspect in the fundamentals that Rod preaches. Bad coaching or bad talent? I say both.
As for Rod's influence in player procurment, look at the D=line. heavily influenced by Rod. In fact I feel it is a Marinelli production. Afterall, he could have punished fatman and told the Lions to not keep Kalimba and Redding. But he instead told us all how he could get Kalimba's production to match his talent, and how Redding was a great interior lineman. Fatman, of course, was excused from the Rhetoric about a Marinellian professional conduct and continues eating himself out of Detroit.
And you are fooling yourself in you don't think the defensive players taken in the draft weren't selected by Rod.

I see nothing in term of talent evaluation from this guy.

And try this example of the D keeping us in games (though I readily admit they played much better that I thought they would)
3rd and 14 inside the Vikes 10. Draw play up the gut for a first down. First D series of the game. And the Vikes go on to score on 6 consecutive series.
Face it, the only time our D has stepped up is more likely a result of some terrible play from the opponants than from the skill of the D.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby dream_017 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:25 pm

moochman wrote:And you are fooling yourself in you don't think the defensive players taken in the draft weren't selected by Rod.

I agree with you again, that the D players taken were selected by Rod, but he did have to wait behind the offensive picks of another WR and injured QB.

moochman wrote:And try this example of the D keeping us in games (though I readily admit they played much better that I thought they would)
3rd and 14 inside the Vikes 10. Draw play up the gut for a first down. First D series of the game. And the Vikes go on to score on 6 consecutive series.
Face it, the only time our D has stepped up is more likely a result of some terrible play from the opponants than from the skill of the D.

If they win the GB game do they come out and lay an egg in MIN :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15301
(Past Year: 58)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby Jimboozie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 am

Marinelli simply doesn't look or sound like a NFL head coach. He looks like one of my dad's fishing buddies and is soft spoken like Mr. Rogers.

I'd fire him.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 12527
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Detroit Lions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 7:37 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact