Should Rod be fired? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Should Rod be fired?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Should Rod be fired?

Postby moochman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:30 pm

[quote="dream_017"]I agree with you again, that the D players taken were selected by Rod, but he did have to wait behind the offensive picks of another WR and injured QB.[quote="dream_017"]

We are misconnecting here. My point is that the picks Rod made suck, therefore his talent evaluation sucks.

[quote="dream_017"]If they win the GB game do they come out and lay an egg in MIN :-?[quote="dream_017"]

I love the history revision game as much as the next guy, but they did not beat GB. It is a part of the tapestry of this franchise that they lack character to win big games with any consistancy. Building a team is a complex task, and one that requires a clarity of mind to create a synergistic melding of personalities to work together toward winning in a certain manner. Remember when the Tuna said that he needed total control over player procurement? I think his quote was "I you expect me to cook dinner, I need to buy the groceries"
Look at our sad sack Lions. We have at least 3 known parties making player procurment desicions: William Clay Ford, Marinelli, and Martz. (I don't know that they let Millen play in that sandbox anymore, but who knows for sure). Martz wants offense and to placate him they pick a WR who doesn't fit Martz system and despite the screaming needs in other areas. Then we take Stanton to satisfy Ford's desire for a marketable local star. Then we let Marinelli take a bunch of reaches.
What have we made? We made a mess. Another bowl of crap stew for me and you. That is part of the reason I feel Rod needs to go: He isn't strong enough to tell Ford and Millen to screw Martz and yourself and take the guys who will help build his team. His weakness is a vital ingrediant in our poop soup. Martz and Marinelli need both be gone. There of little use to Lions fans.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:07 pm

Okay I am by no means defending Rod or saying that he deserves a job in the NFL. This is the thing here guys. It doesnt matter who the coach is. It really doesnt. I mean could we really have hired 10 bad coaches in a row?? Or more for that matter... NO. Its very simple. Ford is an awful owner, has hired awful people and has and runs an awful organization. It starts at the top and wont change until that does. I mean Millen has done more damage than most of you probably know. Yeah the first round picks that hes WASTED are bad but its the later ones that nobody realizes. I mean i know you guys do but most dont. The fact that Millen still has a job should say something. He wouldnt have had a job for the last 3 years if it was any other team. So yeah we will fire Rod and Martz. Oh and Martz everyone wants to jump this guys throat. Do they need to run more, yeah of course. Is he the ONLY person in the entire Lions organization with a CREDIBLE RESUME?? YES. THE ONLY GUY. Has he gone crazy?? I doubt it. I mean what is it only 4 guys have a higher winning percentage in five years as Martz did during the whole GSOT. I dont know its just getting so old that i dont know if i can do it anymore. I hear people talking about whats wrong at work or when im out and they are so far wrong. Im like THEY DONT CARE IF THEY WIN. They dont. The best RB in HISTORY quit what 3, 4, even 5 years early just to avoid this madness. That should say something lol. I mean you dont see Walter Payton giving the bird to the Bears... So yeah fire Rod, Martz, and im sure KJ and Roy will leave just like every other half decent player that we get does. Then we will stumble on some other decent guys and a coach and the process will repeat itself. All the while we would do just about anything to get a decent football team on the field, Ford just doesnt care guys. Until we stop going to games it will NEVER change. Can anyone think of a worse organization in SPORTS in the last 20 years??
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dream_017 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:28 am

moochman wrote:I love the history revision game as much as the next guy, but they did not beat GB.

That was based on my previous response, if this thing they call an offense could put the ball in the endzone rather that throught the uprights we may have won that game, then who knows how the MIN game turns out. It comes back to the offense and Martz. They have had a hard time scoring...and they were suppose to be the bread and butter of this team.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby moochman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:37 am

latsprewell20002000 wrote:Okay I am by no means defending Rod or saying that he deserves a job in the NFL. This is the thing here guys. It doesnt matter who the coach is. It really doesnt. I mean could we really have hired 10 bad coaches in a row?? Or more for that matter... NO. Its very simple. Ford is an awful owner, has hired awful people and has and runs an awful organization. It starts at the top and wont change until that does. I mean Millen has done more damage than most of you probably know. Yeah the first round picks that hes WASTED are bad but its the later ones that nobody realizes. I mean i know you guys do but most dont. The fact that Millen still has a job should say something. He wouldnt have had a job for the last 3 years if it was any other team. So yeah we will fire Rod and Martz. Oh and Martz everyone wants to jump this guys throat. Do they need to run more, yeah of course. Is he the ONLY person in the entire Lions organization with a CREDIBLE RESUME?? YES. THE ONLY GUY. Has he gone crazy?? I doubt it. I mean what is it only 4 guys have a higher winning percentage in five years as Martz did during the whole GSOT. I dont know its just getting so old that i dont know if i can do it anymore. I hear people talking about whats wrong at work or when im out and they are so far wrong. Im like THEY DONT CARE IF THEY WIN. They dont. The best RB in HISTORY quit what 3, 4, even 5 years early just to avoid this madness. That should say something lol. I mean you dont see Walter Payton giving the bird to the Bears... So yeah fire Rod, Martz, and im sure KJ and Roy will leave just like every other half decent player that we get does. Then we will stumble on some other decent guys and a coach and the process will repeat itself. All the while we would do just about anything to get a decent football team on the field, Ford just doesnt care guys. Until we stop going to games it will NEVER change. Can anyone think of a worse organization in SPORTS in the last 20 years??

Nice rant Spree. Let me address two issue you raise:
1) Martz is a credible coach. It can easily be argued that his sucess was based on Vermeils' players and concepts. Remember the Chiefs were pretty darn good under Vermeil. Methinks Vermeil was a strong enough personality to reign in Mad Martz. That and Warner, Faulk, Holt, Pace, and a pretty good D had something to do with Martz's success. Since Vermeil left Martz managed to get himself fired for such genius as to ignore one of the best RBs in the league in Marshall and gettting his QB beaten up so bad that he couldn't even bag groceries anymore. Now we see the same results here. A RB who is ignored too often and a QB that is so battered that he thinks we can win 10 games...in one season! I say Martz is totally over-rated and might have trouble finding work again.

2)"THEY DON'T CARE IF THEY WIN" That's a bold statement! And sadly, when it comes to William Clay you are correct. He no more cares about winning than he does about whether we like it. Now that we both acknowledge that, what are we to do? I mean, is there any reason for a person of sound mind to remain a fan of this boob's team? Help yourself and get out, Spree. Save yourself. For me, it's too late. Grab a cynic's dictionary and you'll find me there. Just look under fan. :~(

Dream (er), it is my experience that when the Lions score they have a niggling tendency to let the other team score more. Favre and the Pack would have just opened it up and drubbed us. Dream I hope you realize how much I wish I were wrong.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:52 pm

Yeah i guess you can look at the Matz thing either way. Its also hard not to believe that him being here isnt contributing to his idiocy. I didnt mean to defend him. He needs to go too IMO. They all do. Keep Hanson lol. Other than that though. And i would get out if i wasnt scared crapless of them actually doing something one day and i couldnt be a part of it. Something just doesnt feel right anymore about all the hoping and waiting. Im just not sure if its ever going to happen. I mean its already been fifty years. If its another 50 ill be dead for sure. I dont know its just terrible to root for something then all the sudden you realize that the people and organization that you cheer for dont have the same agenda as you do. This is what players that come here do shortly after getting here. They all leave as well. Remember how happy Bly was to be here then that goes to him wanting out. Oh and yeah we just gave him away...for nothing. What are they going to say for themselves when we lose out im wondering?? Cause we arent beating Dallas this week. Then they will really have nothing to play for. At all. They will see the end of the year and just want it all to be over. I know some of the things i say here are stupid and sometimes just not right at all but most of the time im writing when im super pissed off lol. I mean what has happened to the team that we saw the first couple of weeks?? Yeah, they were playing crappy teams but thats not all of it. Something else happened or changed. Rod i bet is having trouble getting his "men" to buy into his stuff when all its resulting to is losing. I dont know i guess ill just keep dealing with it. We get pretty good at dealing with it as Lions fans dont we? Why cant Ford take a look at some of the things Illich does? Seriously they couldnt be more polar opposites. Too bad this city would trade both the Red Wings and the Tigers for a good football team...
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Consider this, Spree. In the time that Millen has led the Lions to 6 straight 10 or more loss seasons teams like the Carolina Panthers and Chicago Bares have gone from suck to Conference championship games and back to suck again. Look at the Tampa Bay Buccos, they were in last a year ago, have lost Caddy, are using an old Lions QB in Garcia, have ancient WRs in Galloway and Hilliard yet somehow they are winning thier division. Oh, I almost forgot. They also lost their D Line genius two seasons ago.
HEY ROD! Their D is doing just fine without you.
Bottom line is we have a busted organization, from the top down. The Lions are a team led by a bunch of ADHD kids sniffing gas fumes and tossing matches. Sooner or later, bad things are going to happen.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:21 pm

Yup Mooch im aware of it all. Trust me i see the teams going from bottom to the top and back down to the bottom again and the whole time we are STILL at the bottom. This league is based upon pairity. Its not supposed to be like it is for Detroit. The players leave here and when you think that their career is over they just boom for someone else. I dont know what it is that happens to players when the get here but i can assume its something like the drive to live, play, or even breathe somedays gets sucked out of them until the day that they finally leave. I cant think of a worse place to play in the NFL if i had to, can you guys?? I mean terrible weather, terrible owner, TERRIBLE GM, never in contention for anythying, just a team thats happy with selling out the stadium. And until that stops, which it never will here in Detroit, nothing will change. Maybe, just maybe we have a shot when Ford dies. Thats all we can really look forward too.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Detroit Lions