Bridge for sale - $1 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Bridge for sale - $1

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bridge for sale - $1

Postby stomperrob » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Stumped about what to get that special someone on your Christmas list who has everything - here's a unique gift!!!

For sale: defunct Wisconsin bridge, $1
Saturday, December 01, 2007 | 11:51 AM

SOLDIERS GROVE, Wis., Nov. 26, 2007 -- The Kickapoo River bridge is a big structure with a small price tag: one buck.

Village officials fear the nearly century-old bridge, which hasn't hosted traffic in 31 years, will collapse into the river and want to get rid of it quickly. Village board member Vicki Campbell said they hope high scrap prices help attract a buyer who may want to sell the bridge's steel parts.

"With the steel prices what they are right now, we thought this was an opportune time to sell it," Campbell said.

They previously tried a similar offer, she said, but the buyer backed out.

The overhead truss bridge was built in 1910 and was a major connection for the community. Over the years, a new route into Soldiers Grove was built, and the bridge became a fishing spot.

In 1976, the state Department of Transportation recommended closing the bridge, saying its age and condition posed a hazard.

Laurel Hestetune, village president, said he still remembers the rattling sound of the boards as travelers passed over the span.

"Once it's gone - if it goes - I'm going to miss it," he said.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bridge for sale - $1

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:23 pm

This is an old story - I remember reading about this sometime in the middle of November. I think it's been for sale for a while, but they haven't found a buyer yet.

Side note - I originally typed "miffle" instead of "middle" and I laughed at my mistake. Miffle is a funny word.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk