Shooting in Omaha Mall - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Shooting in Omaha Mall

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shooting in Omaha Mall

Postby Karoz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:16 pm

CNN wrote:(CNN) -- A gunman killed eight people and wounded five others Wednesday at the popular Westroads Mall in Omaha, Nebraska, before apparently turning the gun on himself, police said.

The Westroads Mall in Omaha, Nebraska, is locked down after the shooting.

"We do not believe that we have any other shooter," said Sgt. Teresa Negron.

The shooting took place at the Von Maur store inside the shopping complex, which was locked down, the Nebraska State Patrol said.

Shoppers and employees walked out of the building with their hands up. Some described hiding in clothes racks and dressing rooms after hearing the shots. Watch witnesses describe the ordeal »

"I was standing around getting ready to go back to work and all of a sudden I heard this bang, bang, bang -- it sounded like someone shooting fireworks," a witness told CNN affiliate KETV. "I ran to get away from whatever was happening."

Shoppers described scenes of horror as they fled the mall.

"We heard about 35, 40 shots, and on our way our we did see someone down by the escalator, bleeding," Jennifer Cramer told KETV.

Another witness said people started running frantically from the Von Maur area saying there was a shooting.

"I heard three loud pops," said mall employee Charissa Tatoon. "Immediately after that, there was a series of maybe 20 to 25 more shots up on the third floor." She said she saw a man shot on the second floor and "at least four or five" people brought out on gurneys.

Another woman who works at the mall said she saw a woman shot, and added that the shots seemed to be coming from inside the Von Maur store, on an upper level.

People were gathering outside the mall, checking on loved ones believed to be inside.

Thus far, there are nine confirmed deaths and five injuries. The gunman is reportedly among the deceased.

This story can be found at CNN.com
Last edited by Karoz on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Shooting in Omaha Mall

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:18 pm

CNN is reporting nine dead and at least five more wounded.

Shooter is reportedly dead of a self-inflicted wound.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Update from Channel 6 in Omaha:

Police say at least nine people were shot to death and at least five others were injured in a shooting at Westroads Mall this afternoon. The shooter apparently shot himself to death.

Creighton University Medical Center confirms two fatalities there; one man and one woman. Another person is in critical condition.

Three victims were taken to the Nebraska Medical Center, one in critical condition with a chest wound. One person has an arm wound and the third was being treated for cuts to the face.

Shortly after 4 p.m. Omaha Police Sergeant Teresa Negron said that 14 people were shot; nine had died and five were injured.

Channel 6 News has confirmed that a 19-year-old Sarpy County man left a suicide note this afternoon stating, "I'm going out in style."

That man’s vehicle was found in the mall parking lot.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:27 pm

style... ? :-° sad...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Man, that's tragic. It's incredibly sad every time you hear about a story like this.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Just goes to show you there are idiots everywhere, even right here in America's bellybutton.

I most certainly hope and pray that Omaha Red Sox and all of his loved ones were nowhere near the mall. I've checked with my family and everyone is OK - that Von Maur is probably my Mom's favorite store ever, and it's Christmas shopping season, so I double-checked.

ORS - the sooner you check in the happier I'll be.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Karoz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:33 pm

That suicide note is chilling, Knapp.

The security at this mall appears to be less than adequate, which I find surprising. You would think that they would have metal detectors or some form of screening to prevent people from entering the building with weapons. As crowded as shopping malls are this time of year, the implementation of decent security measures is absolutely essential.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:40 pm

Karoz wrote: The security at this mall appears to be less than adequate, which I find surprising. You would think that they would have metal detectors or some form of screening to prevent people from entering the building with weapons. As crowded as shopping malls are this time of year, the implementation of decent security measures is absolutely essential.

I have never been to a mall that has that kind of security. Are there malls like that around you?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:43 pm

knapplc wrote:
Karoz wrote: The security at this mall appears to be less than adequate, which I find surprising. You would think that they would have metal detectors or some form of screening to prevent people from entering the building with weapons. As crowded as shopping malls are this time of year, the implementation of decent security measures is absolutely essential.

I have never been to a mall that has that kind of security. Are there malls like that around you?

I live near one of the larger malls in the US, and there is no form of metal detectors at the entrances. There is a police presence on site though, along with the security.

:-?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:49 pm

beanoX3 wrote:I live near one of the larger malls in the US, and there is no form of metal detectors at the entrances. There is a police presence on site though, along with the security.

:-?

The Mall of America doesn't have any detectors or anything like that either, although there are a good number of police on duty.

Horrible story, especially around the Holidays. I've never understood why people in misery have to take others down with them. :,-(
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk