Shooting in Omaha Mall - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Shooting in Omaha Mall

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Shooting in Omaha Mall

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:50 pm

No way in the world there would be that kind of security to a mall. First of all, it would be simple to bypass. There is way too much traffic in and out of a mall to keep stuff like that out of there. Second, assuming they did find effective measures to screen everybody in and out of a mall, they would just find another crowded place to do that.
Also, I don't see any way to staff an undertaking like that. People whine and cry about the security they have to go through to get on an airplane. Forget about putting that in a mall.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Damn...The Mall of America is huge....I got there atleast two-three times in two months. Like Bandit said no detectors, but security is on their toes over there. I've had friends get in trouble for smoking green and on a separate occasion get caught for drinking, not in the Mall, but outside of it. Meh, meh I don't even think the Mall is fun drunk.

But, that's really too bad. R.I.P.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Karoz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:02 pm

knapplc wrote:
Karoz wrote: The security at this mall appears to be less than adequate, which I find surprising. You would think that they would have metal detectors or some form of screening to prevent people from entering the building with weapons. As crowded as shopping malls are this time of year, the implementation of decent security measures is absolutely essential.

I have never been to a mall that has that kind of security. Are there malls like that around you?

That's precisely my point, Knapp, the security measures taken in most malls aren't sufficient.

You would think that we would see improved security after incidents such as these, but we never do. Doing something as simple as installing metal detectors at the entrance would help tremendously. Things could be done to ensure that it wouldn't be a hinderance, and it would make these sorts of places a lot safer. Otherwise, any fool with a gun can go in and have a field day.

Also, Joel, it's true that they could just find another crowded place. However, why should we leave shopping malls on the list of available targets? Should they remove their security cameras as well, just because shoplifters would be able to find another store to steal from anyway?

As I said, things could be done to make metal detectors less of a hinderance to shoppers. Regardless of how much some people may whine, I think they would rather have to go through a few extra security measures than end up being involved in a massacre such as this one.
Last edited by Karoz on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:04 pm

Malls around here have police officers and extra police officers during the holiday season: inside the mall, rolling around in cars, and on bicycles, but no metal detectors on the doors or anything like that. Can't say I know of a mall that does go that far with security.

Stinks. Even moreso this time of year. :,-(

I think it's all well and good some idiot took his own life, just stinks he took 9 people (so far) out with him. :-t

knapplc wrote:ORS - the sooner you check in the happier I'll be.

Agreed. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:12 pm

Karoz I know that what you're saying is well-intentioned, but it's just not practical in a free society. It essentially makes the presumption of danger when the whole premise of America is freedom, which means I shouldn't have to prove that I'm "safe" to get into the mall.

I'd like to have seen something happen to avoid this, too - but that kind of security is not a world I want to live in.

As for this mall, I've been there about 1,000 times. They have security on patrol (armed I think) and it's in a good neighborhood. I've never felt anything other than safe there and I have taken my daughter shopping there several times.

And just so everyone knows - this mall is about a dozen blocks from ORS' house. This is something that is striking very close to the home of one of our most well-known Cafe friends.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:17 pm

Yikes! I hope all is well with him and his family!

Yeah, putting metal detectors in malls isn't practical....Would take waaayyy too much time. But, maybe they could have people being padded down? I meant hey do that at Big Sport events, and at concerts.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:21 pm

At malls you have bags coming in and out. Large bags. You wouldn't have to just have metal detectors, but you would have to have x-ray machines, HUGE staffing (think of all the entrances to malls). I would assume you would be screening all items coming in to restaurants, stores, etc.

I like to be safe and keep my life as good as the next guy, but I don't personally want that kind of security all over the place. We would start to look like Israel or something really fast.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:22 pm

Oh yeah, and I sure hope ORS is ok. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby eagles21 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:29 pm

Wow, that's just crazy. I hope ORS and his family are ok.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Anyone know what time the shooting occured, because ORS visited here at 3:00 today.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk