Shooting in Omaha Mall - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Shooting in Omaha Mall

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Shooting in Omaha Mall

Postby eagles21 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:35 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Anyone know what time the shooting occured, because ORS visited here at 3:00 today.

From the story on Yahoo.com:

Mickey Vickory, who worked at Von Maur's third-floor service department, said she heard shots at about 1:50 p.m.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:36 pm

The shootings occurred before 2:00, but that just means it's likely he is OK. I'm hoping his wife and son were nowhere near there.

Odds are that he and his family are fine. I'm just kind of a worrier, you know?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks for worrying about me guys. It's horrible. No other words to describe it. A coworker of mine has a sister who works at another department store there, not Von Maur, but she was not injured thank God. They aren't releasing any names at this time. I work in Council Bluffs, IA, so I was a ways from the mall at the time of the shooting. My son was at school so I knew he was fine. I was a bit freaked out because my wife was shopping. Though she rarely shops at the malls, and even more rarely at this mall, I was very worried when she didn't answer her cell phone. Shortly after, however, she called me back and wasn't in the area at the time. We're all a little freaked out around here and selfishly praying no one we know was hurt or killed.

Again, thank you all for thinking of my well being when this story broke. I love you guys.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:11 pm

Glad to hear you and yours are safe ORS! ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:34 pm

Madison wrote:Glad to hear you and yours are safe ORS! ;-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:49 pm

moonhead wrote:
Madison wrote:Glad to hear you and yours are safe ORS! ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Karoz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:02 pm

knapplc wrote:Karoz I know that what you're saying is well-intentioned, but it's just not practical in a free society. It essentially makes the presumption of danger when the whole premise of America is freedom, which means I shouldn't have to prove that I'm "safe" to get into the mall.

I'd like to have seen something happen to avoid this, too - but that kind of security is not a world I want to live in.

As for this mall, I've been there about 1,000 times. They have security on patrol (armed I think) and it's in a good neighborhood. I've never felt anything other than safe there and I have taken my daughter shopping there several times.

And just so everyone knows - this mall is about a dozen blocks from ORS' house. This is something that is striking very close to the home of one of our most well-known Cafe friends.

While I do understand what you're saying, I have to disagree with the notion that this would be an unbearable level of security. I certainly do not want the United States to turn into a country of security checkpoints and constant surveillance. However, ignoring the need for some sort of new measure would be a mistake. Right now, nothing is being done to prevent the weapons from entering the building, which makes all of the other measures seem somewhat futile.

I'm not suggesting that our malls should resemble military bases. However, the security right now is set up to deal with an incident during or after it occurs. To prevent a massacre, the guard has to see the weapon before it is used, which would be almost impossible in a crowded mall. That means that the guard will most likely only become aware of an incident after shots have been fired. What does that accomplish?

All I am suggesting is that they implement some form of security to help keep crazed individuals from bringing weapons into the store. As I said, having measures in place to take care of the incident after it happens really defeats the purpose, if you don't have a preventive measure in place as well.

This would not infringe upon your civil liberties, nor would it be much of a hassle if done correctly. Perhaps if this measure were to be put in place, some of the security within the mall itself could be lessened.

Again, I am adamantly opposed to the idea of having excessive security, which this would not be.

Also, I'm glad to hear that you and your family are safe, ORS.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:34 pm

I would much rather said security be implemented at the schools first.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:36 pm

I am trying to hold my emotions on this situation back, but failing...

He wanted to go "out with style"??? Holy %$@# what a $%&^*% deranged $%^&* who ended 8 innocent lives "in style." I hope you're happy sir because you went out in true style along with 8 other completely innocent people that had absolutely nothing to do with your ^$@^& up life. Everyone will remember you now as a $%&#@$ up ^%@#^&* who wasted good air on this planet while you were alive. If you hate life feel free to ruin yourself, don't ruin others who are actually grateful of this gift of life that we have.

He was my age too, what an idiot.

I get so much more angry than I am sad when I hear this crap happens. Probably because I feel so sick and helpless than innocent people were shot for absolutely no reason. I needed to vent alittle. :-{
Last edited by SniperShot on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Tiki » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:37 pm

Yeah....If he were alive I'd give him "style".... :-t
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk