Playoff Bracketology Setup? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Playoff Bracketology Setup?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playoff Bracketology Setup?

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:17 am

In a six team playoff setup, where the top two teams get first round byes, who should play whom in the first round?

Is this right?

Bracket A First Round
Team 1 - Bye
Team 4 vs Team 5

Bracket B First Round
Team 2 - Bye
Team 3 vs Team 6

How do you determine what teams play whom and in what bracket in the first round?
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Playoff Bracketology Setup?

Postby RCR » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:26 am

The seeding and bracket are correct. Theoretically, the higher seeds win out, so Seed #1 draws the winner of the 4-5 game and seed #2 draws the winner of the 3-6 game to set an "advantageous" match-up for the highest seeds(#1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3). In reality, the only real benefit is that the top 2 seeds get a bye as seeding in FFball is pretty much a crapshoot below the top 2.
RCR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bantam » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:43 am

That's right. It's structured exactly like the NFL conference championship bracket. The only difference is that in the NFL, the #1 seed automatically plays the lowest remaining seed no matter what. If #6 upsets #3, then #1 plays #6 and #2 plays whomever wins the other game. I've never seen a FF playoff structure that re-seeds like that, but it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard.

But it's really not a big deal. As RCR stated, seeding in FF isn't nearly as meaningful as in the NFL.
Bantam
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:18 pm

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, I am in a league where the commish did the brackets differently. I finished seeded 3rd and he put me in the same bracket with the number one team? And, the number one team finished far ahead of the rest of the league and is a virtual clinch for the championship unless Brady, Owens and other of his players don't play in week 16.
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby treat24 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:02 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, I am in a league where the commish did the brackets differently. I finished seeded 3rd and he put me in the same bracket with the number one team? And, the number one team finished far ahead of the rest of the league and is a virtual clinch for the championship unless Brady, Owens and other of his players don't play in week 16.

that sucks man. As a 3rd seed you shouldn't have to play the #1 team until the championship. sorry to hear it. The bracket in your 1st post is the right setup.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:27 pm

Thanks for the sympathy Treat! I appreciate it. ;-D

I've posted here in our league room as well as on the aol site itself asking for some correction or at least some clarification and will post here what the Commish says.

Strange thing is, that the commish would be playing me with his current bracketology and would be playing the 5th place team if corrected. Either way, he would be in the number one seeds bracket? Maybe he thinks he can beat me easier than the other guy? ;-)

Or, maybe, he made a mistake or is using some "other than best record" seeding for the playoffs?
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:04 pm

To be fair, I did just find a playoff modality set up like the one I am involved in on AOL. That setup also was identical on the Blue Shark League in that same setup. So, maybe our setup is correct and right for our type of league? Or for a FantasyShark league?
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bantam » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:27 am

Now I'm curious: what playoff structure did he use?
Bantam
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:57 pm

Our 16 team league is divided into two conferences. Each conference has two divisions of 4 teams.

Our playoff structure keeps teams within their conference until the championship round. If three of the four top teams are in one conference, so be it.

If your league has two divisions, perhaps your playoffs were set up so that the winner of each divsional championship would play each other.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby spodog » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:39 pm

Battlecreek Dragon wrote:Our 16 team league is divided into two conferences. Each conference has two divisions of 4 teams.

Our playoff structure keeps teams within their conference until the championship round. If three of the four top teams are in one conference, so be it.

If your league has two divisions, perhaps your playoffs were set up so that the winner of each divsional championship would play each other.

;-D

Great way to do it
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner