Elderly woman leaves fortune to Chinese restaurant owner - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Elderly woman leaves fortune to Chinese restaurant owner

Moderator: Football Moderators

Elderly woman leaves fortune to Chinese restaurant owner

Postby Metroid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:29 pm

They must have made her some kick ass Chow Mein!! 8-o
LONDON (AFP) - The family of a wealthy British pensioner who left her entire fortune to the owners of a Chinese restaurant failed Friday in a legl bid to have her will declared invalid.
ADVERTISEMENT

Nephews and nieces of Golda "Goldie" Bechal claimed that she was of unsound mind when she made the will leaving 10 million pounds (13.9 million euros, 20 million dollars) to her Kim Sing Man and his wife Bee Lian Man.

But a judge at London's High Court ruled that the testament, made in 1994, remained valid when Bechal died in 2004, aged 88, leaving a portfolio of commercial properties to her long-standing "best friends".

"In my judgment, on the balance of probabilities, Mrs Bechal had testamentary capacity. The will executed by Mrs Bechal in August 1994 was valid," said judge Donald Rattee.

The appeal was brought by five nephews and nieces -- Sandra Blackman, Barbara Green, Laurence Lebor, Louise Barnard and Mervyn Lebor -- who claimed they were the rightful heirs.

But the Mans, owners of the Lian restaurant in the county of Essex, east of London, had been friends with Bechal and her late husband, Simon, for many years.

The judge accepted their evidence that the widow, sad and lonely after the death of her husband and of her son Peter at the age of 28, became almost part of the Man family.

She went on foreign holidays with them and they had regular get-togethers at their restaurant and at her flat in London, the court heard. Man described her as "an upper-class posh lady" who always dressed well.

She "always enjoyed her Chinese pickled leeks and bean sprouts, which I bought for her", he added.

The judge concluded: "It was not irrational to leave the bulk of her estate to Mrs Man, the daughter she would dearly wished to have had, and her husband."

"We are delighted with this result," said a lawyer representing the Mans. "This has been about a friend's right to leave money as she wanted."
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Elderly woman leaves fortune to Chinese restaurant owner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:10 pm

Be nice to your relatives. :-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:17 pm

The appeal was brought by five nephews and nieces -- Sandra Blackman, Barbara Green, Laurence Lebor, Louise Barnard and Mervyn Lebor -- who claimed they were the rightful heirs.

Hmm... a lawsuit over money they did nothing to earn, yet feel "entitled" to. Shocker.

Am I the only one who expects nothing when my relatives pass (even though both sides are fairly well off and have solid life insurance policies)? I didn't do anything to help my parents or either set of grandparents earn what they have, so there's no way in the world I feel "entitled" to anything if/when they pass. If they want and choose to leave me something, very cool, but if not, that's their choice as it's their money, houses, cars, whatever, and they are the ones "entitled" to do what they please with it. Tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:44 pm

Madison wrote:

Hmm... a lawsuit over money they did nothing to earn, yet feel "entitled" to. Shocker.

Am I the only one who expects nothing when my relatives pass (even though both sides are fairly well off and have solid life insurance policies)? I didn't do anything to help my parents or either set of grandparents earn what they have, so there's no way in the world I feel "entitled" to anything if/when they pass. If they want and choose to leave me something, very cool, but if not, that's their choice as it's their money, houses, cars, whatever, and they are the ones "entitled" to do what they please with it. Tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way.

;-D

I find it kinda funny that it was nieces and nephews who sued for the money. I bet none of them ever visited her when she was alive. No wonton soup for them. :-b

PS: Even though I agree with Madison in saying that I don't feel entitled to any of my relatives' money, I would seriously consider suing just like these 5 if $20 million was at stake.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:15 pm

Yup I'm with ya Mad, I don't feel I am "entitled" to any of my parents money, cars, house etc. They earned those things and its theirs to do with how they please. ;-D

Also if they have any debt I don't feel I'm entitled to that either. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:19 pm

Metroid wrote:Yup I'm with ya Mad, I don't feel I am "entitled" to any of my parents money, cars, house etc. They earned those things and its theirs to do with how they please. ;-D

Also if they have any debt I don't feel I'm entitled to that either. :-b

Very good point even though it was meant to be funny. Would you want their "fortune" if it wasn't so much of a fortune? I would say not. An inheritance in my mind is meant for those that a person was closest to or for that matter, whoever they please. In a perfect world, you would hope that the family would be there and fill that role, but obviously that isn't always the case.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk