My Father-in-Law - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

My Father-in-Law

Moderator: Football Moderators

My Father-in-Law

Postby The_Captain » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:10 pm

This is the first time I've ever posted something of this nature at the cafe, but I could really use everyone's good thoughts and prayers for my wife, my sister-in-law, my mother-in-law (step) and my family (my two girls in particular).

This morning at 4:30am, we received news my father-in-law, Gary, had passed away in his sleep. He was only 62 years old and his death was very much unexpected. He had been dealing with a myriad of health problems, mostly stemming from the stroke he suffered in January of this year. But his health problems started back in 2000 when he had quadruple-bypass, heart valve replacement surgery. The surgery really had taken it's toll on his body. He seemed to be getting better until he suffered a stroke in January of this year. The stroke left him almost blind in the left eye and partially paralyzed his left leg. From that point until today, his health was in steady decline. We got to see him on Thanksgiving day which was the last day we saw him. He was tired, in pain and weary from the fight.

As I'm sure anyone can imagine this has hit my wife extremely hard. In 2003 her mom passed away from complications with her liver and now, 4 years later, she's having to bury her dad. This has also had a profound effect on my eldest daughter who turned 9 the day after Thanksgiving. When Laurie's mom passed away in 2003, Kaleigh was only 5, but somehow could grasp the loss of her grandmother. The hardest part of this morning, in addition to the phone call and my wife's emotional pain, was telling my two children they're grandfather had been taken by the Lord in his sleep. Meghan (my 5 year old) seemed to understand a bit of what happend, but Kaleigh sobbed like any child would do and it was the most heartbreaking thing Laurie and I had to do this morning.

I'm a faithful man and know Gary is in a much better place, free of the pain which ailed him and I'm thankful he is where he is. It's important to tell those we're close to and love the most, how much we adore and cherish them because we never know when we won't get the opportunity to do again.

Cafe friends, I appreciate you holding my family, all of them, in your prayers as we got through the grieving process.

Cap.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: My Father-in-Law

Postby Metroid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:24 pm

Thats tough Cap, you have my deepest condolences and my thoughts are with you and your family during these hard times. :,-(
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:29 pm

62 is way young. :,-(
My condolences. Stay strong man.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eagles21 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Sorry to here that Captain. My condolences to you and your family.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:09 pm

That's too bad man. I went to a funeral on Monday for my Great Grandma, I feel your loss.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:16 pm

Sad to hear that Cap.

I hope you and your family make it through this strong. I lost my grandfather 11 months ago now and I still feel like he was taken too early. He was 73. 62 is when one should be beginning retirement and/or just starting their final phase of life, not having it end. Sounds like he's had a rough 7 years or so, that sucks. Things can really feel helpless at times when somebodies health really deteriorates. At times like this I look for friends and family and those you care about for support and support you they will. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:32 pm

Sorry to hear that Cap. My condolences to you and your family in this tough time. :,-(
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:34 pm

Sorry to hear that, Cap. I lost my grandfather 10 years ago and he died in his sleep at 73. He suffered a stroke about 13 years before he died and he really wasn't the same, but I can take solace that he past away in his sleep despite many continued years of pain, with the faith he's somewhere a lot better. I can definitely relate with how you feel right now. Best wishes to you and your family.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:47 pm

Sean, you and your family are most certainly in my prayers. I'm sorry for your family's loss. We don't get to understand some things. I know this will be difficult.

Peace be with you and your family.

Lance
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:04 pm

Real sorry to hear this cap. :,-( Your family will be in my prayers.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Next

Return to General Talk