Troy Smith future - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Troy Smith future

Moderator: Football Moderators

Troy Smith future

Postby Lordrevolution » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:19 pm

You have to figure that Kyle Boller is not the future of the Ravens, since they traded for McNair after having Boller start a year or so ago should Baltimore start looking at Smith this season? Will he? Can Smith lead this team? What's his fantasy estimate for dynasty leagues?
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Troy Smith future

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:59 pm

lmao, he's lucky to be on the team, he sucks
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SniperShot » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:12 am

He's short thats for sure. He'll be fighting an uphill battle to make a successful career in the NFL as a starter.

Drew Brees proves hight isn't everything when it comes to QB's but Troy Smith is a scrambling type.

Only time will tell I guess but I'm skeptical at this point.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby jdsun1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:43 am

Hahahhahahahaha...Besides Eric Crouch he is the most undeserving Heisman winner EVER!
jdsun1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kilroy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:26 am

Given that the Ratbirds' season is in the dumper I don't see what they have to lose by giving him some PT.

I think he could surprise some people, but then again I look at the world through Scarlet-Colored Glasses. :-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby onnestabe » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:16 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:Given that the Ratbirds' season is in the dumper I don't see what they have to lose by giving him some PT.

I think he could surprise some people, but then again I look at the world through Scarlet-Colored Glasses. :-D

I think they are already giving a look to the guy they think has the best chance of being their QB of the future. Just so happens he's their QB of the past, too. Boller looked bad last night, but he looked pretty good against the Patriots. I think the fact that Troy Smith hasn't gotten a look yet speaks to how bad he must look to the coaching staff at this point.

I think if McNair stays with the Ravens this offseason, Troy Smith may move to the practice squad (or get cut completely). They have to bring in someone new to compete at QB this offseason. If they don't, they are sending a message that they are OK with bottom-third offensive production. The days are gone when you can win a Superbowl with a top-notch defense and a sub-par offense. The league has changed the rules to favor the offense, and if you aren't taking advantage of the rule changes, you are giving everyone else a leg-up.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:29 pm

jdsun1 wrote:Hahahhahahahaha...Besides Eric Crouch he is the most undeserving Heisman winner EVER!

Ummm Eric Crouch was by far the most deserving Heisman winner that year...The Heisman doesnt go to the guy who will be the best in the NFL...and Troy Smith deserved to win the award as well, they dont give it out to the guy who will pan out and have a great NFL career, it sthe most outstanding player in college football

Rex Grossman was the runner up to Eric Crouch, but I guess he deserved to win more huh, because his nfl career has been so great...Its easy to say those guys dont deserve it now because their nfl career either sucked or didnt even get started, but they both deserved to win the award...

As far as Smith, he will probably get his chance to play thats all you can ask, he deserves it because they will have a chance to draft Matt Ryan or Andre Woodson, and they will pass those guys if Smith shows some flashes, if he looks horrible in some games they will take a qb 1st rd...he looked decent last nite, but it was scrub duty and basically pre season out there...as far as fantasy value and such, your getting ahead of yourselves...he is nowhere near fantasy anything right now
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:21 pm

Neither Boler nor McNair has done anything to impress - may as well go with Smith the rest of the way to see if he has some potential so they know whether or not they have to pursue a QB in the off-season, either via high draft pick, free agency or trade. I kinda like the kid - granted his height doesn't fit the modern day prototype, but he has a strong arm and a half decent skill set that with the proper grooming could turn him into a servicable starter in the NFL.

And yes Kilroy, it hurt to say something nice about a Buckeye! ;-) :-b
Last edited by stomperrob on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby AllDay » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:25 pm

No reason they shouldn't go with Troy Smith the rest of the way. They already knew Boller wasn't the answer, and McNair looks like he is done. He's maybe a decent vet back-up to keep around, but not a starter anymore.

Shaun Hill looked like the best QB in a SF uniform all year. He deserves a little look as well.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FantasyMan13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Troy Smith will not be starting the rest of the season unless Boller gets hurt, but I think he's got some upside. He's a good athlete and has a cannon. He's also very accurate. He seems like a Jeff Garcia type to me, but probably won't be starting for a long time (if ever).
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Next

Return to Football Talk