Troy Smith future - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Troy Smith future

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Troy Smith future

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:47 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:Troy Smith will not be starting the rest of the season unless Boller gets hurt, but I think he's got some upside. He's a good athlete and has a cannon. He's also very accurate. He seems like a Jeff Garcia type to me, but probably won't be starting for a long time (if ever).

That would expose the Ravens FO if they don't strongly consider starting Smith the rest of the way. There is nothing left to play for and Boller is showing exactly what he is: a poor man's Mike McMahon lol. If they keep putting Boller out there it would only be becuase of his fat contract and stupid head coach. Ray Lewis should pop them both in practice...repeatedly.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:18 pm

It is amazing to me that Billick can run 1 of the best offenses in recent times in Minnesota and then follow that up by guiding 1 of the worst NFL offenses in Baltimore for this long.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AllDay » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:00 am

Lofunzo wrote:It is amazing to me that Billick can run 1 of the best offenses in recent times in Minnesota and then follow that up by guiding 1 of the worst NFL offenses in Baltimore for this long.

It is amazing to me that people want to put a nice little label on everything and dub it the undisputable truth.

In Billick's case he was a succesfull coach on a team that had the offensive talent and mindset to set records. Denny Green ran that team, and under him the defense was horrible, largely ignored during the draft, and the coaches couldn't stop the bleeding. Offense mattered. defense didn't.

Billick is dubbed an 'offensive genius' and the debate is over. Everyone repeats it. Everyone accepts it as undisputed fact. Everyone is so smart to realize the offensive genius that is Brian BIllick.

He's a good coach. His presence does not guarantee an offensive juggernaut. The Ravens have always been a defensive minded team since Billick has been there. He has largely kept that identity intact, and has failed miserably on his attempts to overhaul the offense. On top of that, he let Priest Holmes walk away to sign with KC for peanuts.

Sheer offensive genius. I don't mean that in a way to mock Billick, I mean it towards us who repeat it. I'm also not trying to point the finger at everyone else - because I doubt everyone else drafted Tony Banks, Jamal Lewis and Travis Taylor one year in their money league league hoping to cash in on the Billick genius (like I did).

I see the same thing happening to Norv Turner. For years he was an offensive guru who ran schemes that resulted in elite fantasy RB's such as Emmitt Smith, Stephen Davis, Ricky WIlliams. A Norv Turner offense was fantasy gold for the RB.

Now he is single handedly destroying LT's production according to some. If Chargers fans want to trade Childress for Turner straight up, I'm willing.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:53 am

AllDay wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:It is amazing to me that Billick can run 1 of the best offenses in recent times in Minnesota and then follow that up by guiding 1 of the worst NFL offenses in Baltimore for this long.

It is amazing to me that people want to put a nice little label on everything and dub it the undisputable truth.

In Billick's case he was a succesfull coach on a team that had the offensive talent and mindset to set records. Denny Green ran that team, and under him the defense was horrible, largely ignored during the draft, and the coaches couldn't stop the bleeding. Offense mattered. defense didn't.

Billick is dubbed an 'offensive genius' and the debate is over. Everyone repeats it. Everyone accepts it as undisputed fact. Everyone is so smart to realize the offensive genius that is Brian BIllick.

He's a good coach. His presence does not guarantee an offensive juggernaut. The Ravens have always been a defensive minded team since Billick has been there. He has largely kept that identity intact, and has failed miserably on his attempts to overhaul the offense. On top of that, he let Priest Holmes walk away to sign with KC for peanuts.

Sheer offensive genius. I don't mean that in a way to mock Billick, I mean it towards us who repeat it. I'm also not trying to point the finger at everyone else - because I doubt everyone else drafted Tony Banks, Jamal Lewis and Travis Taylor one year in their money league league hoping to cash in on the Billick genius (like I did).

I see the same thing happening to Norv Turner. For years he was an offensive guru who ran schemes that resulted in elite fantasy RB's such as Emmitt Smith, Stephen Davis, Ricky WIlliams. A Norv Turner offense was fantasy gold for the RB.

Now he is single handedly destroying LT's production according to some. If Chargers fans want to trade Childress for Turner straight up, I'm willing.

I never labeled him as anything but the fact remains that he was the OC of a dominant offense. He is now the HC of 1 of the worst offenses in the league. You would think that he might have remembered a thing or 2 from the past. That was my point.
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby CC » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:52 pm

jdsun1 wrote:Hahahhahahahaha...Besides Eric Crouch he is the most undeserving Heisman winner EVER!

Troy Smith definitely deserved the Heisman last year, there wasn't a great crop of talent, but he was the best of the bunch. IN the last 5ish years I can think of 3 Heisman winners that were less deserving than Smith.

Vince Young should've won over Reggie Bush.
Adrian Peterson should've won over Matt Leinart.
Larry Fitzgerald should've won over Jason White.

...and I'm a Michigan fan who hates Troy Smith with a burning passion.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AllDay » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:46 am

Lofunzo wrote:
AllDay wrote:

I never labeled him as anything but the fact remains that he was the OC of a dominant offense. He is now the HC of 1 of the worst offenses in the league. You would think that he might have remembered a thing or 2 from the past. That was my point.

I didn't mean to accuse you personally of labeling him, but that was the mantra repeated when you heard people talk about Brian Billick.

It's not that he doesn't remember a thing or two from the past. He doesn't have anything close to the team he had to work with in Minnesota.

Perhaps his offensive genius was that he had Randy Moss. The common link between that record setting Viking offense is and the Patriots soon to be record setting offense is Randy Moss. There is more evidence to suggest Randy Moss is the offensive genius.

What is BIllick supposed to do with a team that has only had a good defense and a solid running game over recent years? Until he gets some talent at QB and WR that can work together there isn't going to be much other than 3 yards and a cloud of dust and smashmouth D.

He's a great coach though, so he'll do fine with that.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:48 pm

AllDay wrote:I didn't mean to accuse you personally of labeling him, but that was the mantra repeated when you heard people talk about Brian Billick.

It's not that he doesn't remember a thing or two from the past. He doesn't have anything close to the team he had to work with in Minnesota.

Perhaps his offensive genius was that he had Randy Moss. The common link between that record setting Viking offense is and the Patriots soon to be record setting offense is Randy Moss. There is more evidence to suggest Randy Moss is the offensive genius.

What is BIllick supposed to do with a team that has only had a good defense and a solid running game over recent years? Until he gets some talent at QB and WR that can work together there isn't going to be much other than 3 yards and a cloud of dust and smashmouth D.

He's a great coach though, so he'll do fine with that.

I understand the talent differential between the 2 offenses. My main point was that he should have an eye for good offensive talent yet, in all of his years there, he hasn't been able to translate that to the field. It's just odd to me.
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:57 pm

i think one of the main problems with billick has his been infatuation with kyle boller....thinking that boller would become a great quarterback. and i don't know what he saw in mcnair either...mcnair was clearly on the downturn of his career.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk