Vick sentenced to 23 months in prison - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Vick sentenced to 23 months in prison

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vick sentenced to 23 months in prison

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:10 am

I don't have a link yet, I just saw it on sports center. :-/

Good riddance, with any luck he'll slip and fall on a sharpened toothbrush. :-[
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vick sentenced to 23 months in prison

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 am

Suspended NFL star Michael Vick sentenced to 23 months in prison
By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer
December 10, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy that involved gambling and killing pit bulls.

The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback could have been sentenced up to five years by District Judge Henry E. Hudson. Vick was dressed in a black-and-white striped prison suit and apologized to the court and his family.

Hudson responded, "You need to apologize to the millions of young people who looked up to you."

"Yes, sir," Vick said.

Vick acknowledged he used "poor judgment" and added, "I'm willing to deal with the consequences and accept responsibility for my actions."

Before the hearing started, Michael Vick's brother, Marcus Vick, sat with his right arm around their mother, comforting her as she buried her head in her hands and wept.

Vick pleaded guilty in August, admitting he bankrolled the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation and helped kill six to eight dogs.

In a plea agreement, he admitted bankrolling the dogfighting ring on his 15-acre property in rural southeastern Virginia and helping kill pit bulls that did not perform well in test fights. He also admitted providing money for bets on the fights but said he never shared in any winnings.

Length of sentence seems about right compared to the 18 and 21 months the first two got. Last one to plea, harshest sentence. Wonder if Goodell is going to suspend him after he gets out of jail. Say bye bye to your NFL career, Vick. Hope the dogfighting was worth it.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:30 am

There's another thread about this in Leftovers. I can't say I'm surprised. He'll probably get time off for behavior and all, but all in all this is a harsh sentence - but no more than he deserved.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:32 am

knapplc wrote:There's another thread about this in Leftovers. I can't say I'm surprised. He'll probably get time off for behavior and all, but all in all this is a harsh sentence - but no more than he deserved.

Nope knapp, the Federal system requires that you serve 85% of your sentence thats roughly 20 months. There is no way he'll serve any less than that. ;-D
Metroid

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:38 am

Conrad Black getting sentenced right now.
Could be as much as 24 years but the Judge just said that she will use the more lenient laws so it looks like he will not get the max sentence. Sentence in a few hours.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:45 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Conrad Black getting sentenced right now.
Could be as much as 24 years but the Judge just said that she will use the more lenient laws so it looks like he will not get the max sentence. Sentence in a few hours.

Huh? What does Conrad Black have to do with Vick? :-?
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:45 am

Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:There's another thread about this in Leftovers. I can't say I'm surprised. He'll probably get time off for behavior and all, but all in all this is a harsh sentence - but no more than he deserved.

Nope knapp, the Federal system requires that you serve 85% of your sentence thats roughly 20 months. There is no way he'll serve any less than that. ;-D

Right, but wouldn't that qualify as time off for good behavior if he only served 20 months of his 23-month sentence? Am I misunderstanding something?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:52 am

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Right, but wouldn't that qualify as time off for good behavior if he only served 20 months of his 23-month sentence? Am I misunderstanding something?

Your right getting out in 20 months instead of 23 would be getting time off for good behavior...but not much, not like state time where he could serve half his sentence or less and be released. I was just pointing out that the Federal system is MUCH more strict when it comes to the amount of time you are required to serve. ;-D
Metroid

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:56 am

Metroid wrote:

Yeah, it's got nothing to do with Vick but it just seems like today is sentencing day. Vick, Black and Robert Pickton (probably the biggest mass murderer in Canadian history) to get sentenced. The Pickton sentencing just got adjourned to tomorrow.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:02 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Yeah, it's got nothing to do with Vick but it just seems like today is sentencing day. Vick, Black and Robert Pickton (probably the biggest mass murderer in Canadian history) to get sentenced. The Pickton sentencing just got adjourned to tomorrow.

Oh I see you were just pointing out another sentencing today....duh. :-B

It seems like I had heard about Pickton before but I just read a little about him...man that guy is nutz! He confessed to an undercover officer to killing 49 women. 8-o

This from Wiki...
"On March 10, 2004, it was revealed that human flesh may have been ground up and mixed with pork from the farm. This pork was never distributed commercially, but was handed out to friends and visitors of the farm. Another claim made is that he fed the bodies directly to his pigs."

%-6
Metroid

Next

Return to General Talk