Radar Device Warns When Sex Offender is Near - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Radar Device Warns When Sex Offender is Near

Moderator: Football Moderators

Radar Device Warns When Sex Offender is Near

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:50 pm

COLUMBUS - A tiny electronic device that would warn people when a sex offender is approaching could offer a compromise between those who want a way to quickly alert people when a sex offender is nearby and those concerned about offenders' privacy, a state lawmaker said.

The device's northeast Ohio maker hosted 90 minutes of demonstrations of the patent-pending sex offender radar technology for lawmakers Wednesday at the request of state Sen. Tim Grendell, a Chester Township Republican who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee on Criminal Justice.

Offendar LLC of Chagrin Falls showed the device, about the size of a key fob, that vibrates when picking up a signal from a parolee's monitoring bracelet. The device has a range of about 50 yards, and would also alert the parolee to stay out of range and avoid tripping the alarm.

Grendell said the technology could help address the privacy concerns raised over a stalled proposal to force offenders to display bright green license plates.

"It doesn't point to the Joe over there and say 'There he is' or 'Shine a light on him,"' he said. "But it gives you the idea that you may not want to let your children go out unattended."

Lawmakers who observed the demonstrations at the State House were divided on Grendell's idea for legislation that would require the technology to be inserted into existing GPS ankle bracelets and at locations where offenders are prohibited under state law, such as schools.

State Sen. Lance Mason, a Cleveland Democrat, said the onus would be on members of the public to buy the device to make such a system effective. He worries that the Offendar could be tripped so many times in public gathering places, such as festivals or malls, that it would be useless.

"If I'm at a mall, it could go off 10 different times," he said. "So is it really protecting me from that specific threat?"

Offendar chief technology officer Craig Morris said the device can be programmed with a delay that keeps it from tripping every time an offender walks down the street, but identifies when he is lingering in a prohibited area for a long time.

If the device were tripped, Morris said, that information could be sent to a school or other participating location and to the offender's parole officer.

David Singleton, executive director of the Ohio Justice & Policy Center, called the concept "utterly ridiculous and absurd."

He said it plays on fears in the community while penalizing people who have already served time in prison for their crimes.

"What are we trying to do, make it impossible for people to get on their feet again and be productive citizens?" Singleton said. "This is crazy and I'm outraged by it, because it doesn't make my daughter any safer."

The Cleveland Rape Crisis Center's Lindsay Fello-Sharpe said nine in 10 sex crime victims are assaulted by a person they know or trust.

"This just plays on the great myths out there, such as the stranger danger myth that's not true," she said. "It's sending the wrong message and setting people up with a false sense of security."

Supporters say Offendar is a nonintrusive way to alert users when an offender is nearby, particularly when they are going about their regular day and aren't near a computerized sex offender database maintained by the state.

"If there is someone in your area that the state has decided should be wearing an ankle bracelet, you have no idea," said Offendar principal Jerry Pignolet.

The device is not going to deter the offender, Pignolet said, "but it gives you an opportunity to gather your family, get in the car and lock the doors."
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Radar Device Warns When Sex Offender is Near

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:56 pm

That is cool technology. I don't think it should be used just by random individuals cause it doesn't sound real effective, but if you had it pick up at the range of 100 yards or something and put the receivers at schools, etc. where it would alert security/police/parole officers if somebody was in the range for like 5 minutes or something, that would be really cool. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:54 pm

I dunno if regular people should have them, but I could see schools, daycares, businesses, pool, and other areas having them.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:36 pm

It's probably going to go off with every single automatic door signal like car radars do and merely annoy the crap out of you. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby treat24 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:58 pm

I thought this was going to be a thread petitioning Boozie to wear a cowbell around his neck. O:-) :-b

I think Joel's way would be best. It's kind of almost cruel to have it go off immediately. But if they were within proximately for an extended period of time and if only schools and the such used it.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Sandrock » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:33 am

This is an absolutely awful idea. I grew up in a town that had people that would buy something like this and then take a baseball bat to the guys head when the alarm went off. I would say restrict it to Law Enforcement, but if it's out there people will get it.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 am

Sandrock wrote:This is an absolutely awful idea. I grew up in a town that had people that would buy something like this and then take a baseball bat to the guys head when the alarm went off. I would say restrict it to Law Enforcement, but if it's out there people will get it.

That's sort of the point, you wouldn't know who was there--you'd just know that a sex offender was nearby.

Anyways, I think that this device would have its uses, but at the same time the idea of a family running to their cars and locking the doors because a sex offender nearby is pretty stupid. People have the right to know that a sex offender is nearby, but I don't think they'd react in an intelligent way most of the time.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:20 am

treat24 wrote:I thought this was going to be a thread petitioning Boozie to wear a cowbell around his neck. O:-) :-b

O:-)

Hey, cut me some slack. The girl told me she was 15! How was I supposed to know she was only 12?
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:05 am

Jimboozie wrote:
treat24 wrote:I thought this was going to be a thread petitioning Boozie to wear a cowbell around his neck. O:-) :-b

Hey, cut me some slack. The girl told me she was 15! How was I supposed to know she was only 12?

The Hannah Montana Lunchbox?

The fact that you picked her up outside Chuck E. Cheese?

When she continually complained about her 7th Grade Teacher?

Stick to the Eskimo Hookers Jimbo. Just be sure to pay them. :-D

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby josebach » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:02 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:

The Hannah Montana Lunchbox?

The fact that you picked her up outside Chuck E. Cheese?

When she continually complained about her 7th Grade Teacher?

In addition, he should have known...
When she cancelled their date because of a Girl Scout troop meeting?

When she gave him money to buy movie tickets for her and her friends... to a PG-13 movie? :-?

Sick!!! :-t
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk