Ouch! My knee! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Ouch! My knee!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ouch! My knee!

Postby mikus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:39 pm

Well, it finally happened.

I have been playing ultimate frisbee competitively (college and club teams) since 2000. I had always heard and known of other people getting serious knee injuries playing ultimate. I was one of the lucky ones not to have a serious injury.

Until Saturday.

I was playing ultimate and got blindsided on my right knee. The guy -- a big fella, probably 6'1" 215+ -- stumbled and fell into the outside of my right knee. I remember looking to my right and seeing the guy coming. I saw him trip, and stumble downward into my leg. I felt my knee go sideways, felt a slight pop and dislocation of the joint, then felt it go back into place. Sorry if that is graphic.

My knee swelled up pretty good, but I am able to stand on it and walk on it. I am wearing a knee immobilizer to prevent further injury.

Just went to the doctor and had x-rays and knee exam done. X-rays showed a small piece of bone broken off inside the knee. The doc said that could be a sign that something bad happened to the ACL, which only an MRI can confirm.

So that is where I am right now. Waiting to get an MRI done and hopefully getting some good news, even though it looks gloomy right now. If any of you guys have some experience with this type of injury, I sure would like to hear what happened to you. And I ask for your prayers as well, b/c I really do not want to stop being an athlete b/c of this injury.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Re: Ouch! My knee!

Postby moonhead » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:41 pm

sorry about your injury. but this made me think of idiocracy. ow! my balls!
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:43 pm

That sucks. Knee injuries aren't any kind of fun. I definitely have some experience with bad knees. I've had 3 knee surgeries including ACL reconstruction on my right knee. There's not a whole lot to do now except to wait and see what the MRI says. If you do need reconstruction, they can do the entire surgery orthoscopically as an outpatient procedure. Recovery time is about 8 months or so (assuming that's the only damaged ligament). When I had my surgery 10 years ago, recovery was a year and I was in the hospital for 4 days and 3 nights. What sucks is my same ACL is damaged again and I'm one bad turn about needing reconstruction again. :-t

Good luck, man. It's a process, but you should absolutely be able to have a full recovery and enjoy sports again. ;-D
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mikus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:35 pm

Thanks jose. I really hope I can enjoy sports again. I fear the mental injury is going to take longer to recover from than the physical one.
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby josebach » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:10 pm

mikus wrote:Thanks jose. I really hope I can enjoy sports again. I fear the mental injury is going to take longer to recover from than the physical one.

You'll probably never have the confidence you did before the injury, but knee braces help a lot with that problem. I still can't watch knee injuries on tv, though. :-{
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

moonhead wrote:sorry about your injury. but this made me think of idiocracy. ow! my balls!

I just caught that movie over the weekend. :-b :-b

Get well soon, Mikus. At least you get to skip out on some workdays.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:25 pm

Sorry to hear about your injury. The same thing happened to my then-boss in the mid-90s while playing ultimate. He was/is an athletic guy and that really helped his recovery and hopefully your physical conditioning speeds you back to the playing field soon.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Sandrock » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:27 pm

My mind must be in an awful place from dealing with high schoolers all day, but my mind immediately flashed to something dirty when I saw this thread title. It's been so long since I played ultimate frisbee. I played almost every day in college. I do play a fair amount of disc golf now, two courses in the town I currently live.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:28 pm

Hey maybe you'll get some awesome meds. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:24 pm

Tiki wrote:Hey maybe you'll get some awesome meds. ;-D

That would just add to my collection. I still have a whole bottle of pain-killers left from my root canal earlier this year. :-D
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk