RUMOR: PETRINO TO ARKANSAS?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

RUMOR: PETRINO TO ARKANSAS??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: RUMOR: PETRINO TO ARKANSAS??

Postby moochman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:14 am

tpetty6320 wrote:...... less than a day after Blank showered him with praise........

Don't you have to wonder about the judgement of Mr Blank?
He still doesn't seem to get that Vick is not just a victim of his circumstances but aslo a product of poor judgement and detatched emotions.
Now he doesn't see that his team hated his coach and his coach had no clue.
What is he thinking?

Petrino is a very good college coach who isn't the first to stain his record with a failed NFL job, but he sure didn't exit well. He made Barry Sanders exit look dignified.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1crzydmnd » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:19 am

I hope Petrino enjoys his two years at Arkansas. The 'Springdale mafia' will be looking for a better coach while Petrino is there. Petrino is just a stop gap to get someone in there with some kind of name recognition. Ole Miss fans rejoice! Next year you won't be the cellar dwellers!
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Confucius' redneck brother
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 19)

Postby DocSlinky » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:05 am

I felt sorry for him earlier in the season -- he comes to an NFL specifically to be with M. Vick and mentor him into his full potential. That blows up and his team goes down the crapper. But this is an absolutely no-class move. So much for the captain going down with the ship, huh? More like this rat was the first one to jump.

BTW -- Did you hear Deangelo Hall's interview on ESPN. No love lost there!
DocSlinky
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby tpetty6320 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:29 am

moochman wrote:
tpetty6320 wrote:...... less than a day after Blank showered him with praise........

Don't you have to wonder about the judgement of Mr Blank?
He still doesn't seem to get that Vick is not just a victim of his circumstances but aslo a product of poor judgement and detatched emotions.
Now he doesn't see that his team hated his coach and his coach had no clue.
What is he thinking?

Petrino is a very good college coach who isn't the first to stain his record with a failed NFL job, but he sure didn't exit well. He made Barry Sanders exit look dignified.

at this point i question the judgement of our GM more than our owner.......... I am having a hard time seeing how our team is going to be better over the next 2 years....... and it isn't all VIck. look at our whole team. it's terrible on both sides of the ball
tpetty6320
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:44 pm

DocSlinky wrote:I felt sorry for him earlier in the season -- he comes to an NFL specifically to be with M. Vick and mentor him into his full potential. That blows up and his team goes down the crapper. But this is an absolutely no-class move. So much for the captain going down with the ship, huh? More like this rat was the first one to jump.

BTW -- Did you hear Deangelo Hall's interview on ESPN. No love lost there!

Um first of all, this wasn't a mystery that was underwraps, a lot of this was starting to get out. Second of all, dog fighting aside, there were two big problems with Vick 1) he had run ins with the law before, and the fans. 2) he wasn't that good of a QB going in, and it was getting do-or-die time. There was talk that he might have wanted Schaub anyway.

I think its crap when the coaches renege on their contracts. Different for players IMO, as its not a guaranteed amount of money. (Bonuses aside.)
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:53 pm

UPDATED: 1:16 a.m. December 12, 2007
A sinking ship abandoned
Petrino quits despite repeated assertions he would stay

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/12/07

Less than a year after accepting what he called his "dream job," Bobby Petrino abruptly resigned as coach of the Falcons on Tuesday with three games remaining to coach the University of Arkansas.

After a year like this, it figures.

Petrino's departure came after he claimed several times that he would return with the Falcons next season. He was introduced as Arkansas' new coach in a late-night press conference in Fayetteville, Ark. He even did the school's "Woo Pig Souey" chant - complete with cheerleaders - after his opening remarks.

"Today was a day of decisions," Petrino said. "It was very difficult in one sense and very easy in another. It was difficult to leave Altanta. I wish we could have finished what we started."

Petrino said "circumstances" presented themselves and that the decision needed to be made now. "I couldn't be more happy about it," he said.

Petrino said he stayed up all night Monday after the Falcons' loss talking with his wife. "I knew I wanted to come back to coach college," Petrino said. "It wasn't a change in mind; it was a matter of working out details."

Team owner Arthur Blank said Monday he had heard Arkansas was targeting Petrino to replace Houston Nutt as its coach and that the latest rumor about his coach prompted him to ask Petrino that afternoon about his future plans.

Blank said Petrino, who was signed from Louisville to a five-year, $24.5 million contract Jan. 8, told him that he would be back to coach the Falcons in 2008. It was the second time Blank had asked Petrino about his commitment to the team over the past few weeks and the second time Petrino told him he would be back next season.

At 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Petrino met with Rich McKay, the team's president and general manager, at the team's Flowery Branch headquarters, and told him he was quitting. Petrino then called Blank. Blank was "very disappointed, highly agitated and upset at [Tuesday's] developments," according to a team official who was present at a lengthy meeting with senior team officials at Blank's Buckhead offices Tuesday night.

The meeting was to map out plans for the remainder of the season and the impending coaching search. "The mood was very unhappy," the team official added.

A news conference is scheduled for this afternoon at team headquarters in Flowery Branch, shortly before the 3-10 Falcons begin practice for Sunday's game at Tampa Bay. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer or offensive coordinator Hue Jackson likely will be named interim coach.

Petrino's decision to quit before the end of the season confirmed that he wasn't as committed to the team as he wanted it to be to him, cornerback DeAngelo Hall said Tuesday.

"We felt like Petrino was going to be around for the long haul, like he had as much invested in this as we did," said Hall, one of several players who had a frosty relationship with Petrino. "For him to jump ship is disheartening. Arthur Blank and the city of Atlanta, they deserve to win and we thought Petrino was going to be the guy to help us get there. He was a winner and wasn't used to losing.

"Maybe he didn't feel he could win at this level. I disagree with that. If he doesn't want to be a part of it, fine. We'll move on and get better and we will win games without him."

After witnessing Petrino's news conference on television, Hall said he grew angrier and his already frosty feelings toward Petrino grew colder.

"He had ulterior motives," Hall said in an interview on ESPN's SportsCenter. "He came to this great franchise for a stepping stool to where he wanted to be and that's a better college job. ... He came here, lied to a great man in Arthur Blank. He lied to Rich McKay. ... It's coach Petrino's loss. ... If I saw him in the street I wouldn't have anything to say to him. I don't have any respect for him. He turned his back on the organization."

The move comes one day after star quarterback Michael Vick, whom Petrino never got a chance to coach, was sentenced to 23 months in federal prison for his role in a dogfighting operation. The Vick scandal has plagued the Falcons since before this year's draft.

The Falcons were off Tuesday, following Monday night's 34-14 loss to visiting New Orleans, after which Petrino abruptly ended his postgame news conference. He did not hold his typical day-after news conference and did not address the team.

The Falcons are forced to find a second head coach in less than a year. Blank fired Jim Mora on Jan. 1, 2007, after three seasons. Petrino was hired a week later, claiming he would buck the trend of college coaches who have failed in the NFL.

He didn't give it much time. Then again, the team he thought he was going to coach wasn't what was advertised.

Vick was suspended before the season after being indicted on federal dogfighting charges. He was sentenced to prison Monday, hours before the Falcons lost their fourth straight game.

Besides losing Vick, the personnel on hand didn't fit Petrino's scheme. Petrino's standoffish approach didn't sit well with players, either.

Players cited his lack of communication as a major problem. Petrino said he had an open-door policy but players said they did not feel he was approachable.

The biggest disconnect came when Petrino announced to the media last month that Byron Leftwich would start at quarterback against Tampa Bay, but failed to tell starter Joey Harrington, who had just been the starter in two consecutive victories. Harrington was informed by the media at a news conference.

Tight end Alge Crumpler and Hall were critical of Petrino, but they were hardly alone. They were just the only ones to go on record.

Recent failures in landing the right coach would suggest that Blank and McKay will pursue candidates with extensive NFL experience.

Longtime Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher, who resigned after last season and is working as a television analyst, would be the most attractive - and expensive - candidate.

Former San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer, Detroit assistant coach Mike Martz and former Detroit and San Francisco coach Steve Mariucci also could be available. Zimmer and Jackson could be among the NFL assistant coaches under consideration.

Petrino was never up to the job
By Jeff Schultz | Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 08:13 PM

He lost his quarterback. But Bobby Petrino didn’t quit because he lost Michael Vick.

He lost players to knee injuries, ankle injuries — injuries because the JetSki went one way and his defensive tackle’s leg went the other. But Bobby Petrino didn’t quit because the Falcons’ roster was decimated.

Bobby Petrino quit because being an NFL coach isn’t just about Xs and Os. It’s about all of those things Petrino didn’t want to handle and clearly wasn’t equipped to handle. Salary cap issues. Players egos. The most basic form of communication.

Bobby Petrino quit because he couldn’t handle almost anything.

Michael Vick lied to Arthur Blank. Bobby Petrino lied to Arthur Blank. The second guy didn’t break any laws, but the two are closer than we could have imagined in the character department.

Petrino is a quitter. Thirteen games and he is checking out for a job back in the college ranks, where he can mold young men by stepping on them first, which is something you can’t do in the NFL.

Nick Saban couldn’t handle it either. Hey, at least Nick Saban lasted two seasons. By comparison, Nick Saban is a martyr.

Thirteen games. Are you kidding?

When Blank’s head stops spinning after all he has endured this season, he should breathe a sigh of relief. He should get past the fact he has to find another coach. Get past the fact that the franchise he would open a vein for has hit bottom and will take some time to turn around.

Arthur: Get past all of that, because things probably just got better. Save the balance on the five-year, $24 million contract you gave Petrino. Find yourself a coach who won’t melt down every time the temperature rises above 78.

If football is the ultimate game of physical and mental toughness, Petrino turned out to be the ultimate mushhead. This is the NFL. This is Big Boy football. The Falcons already have too many players who stomp their feet and hold their breath. The last thing they needed was a coach who did the same thing.

Petrino said the Falcons were his dream job. He said he wanted to work for Blank and Rich McKay. He said he wanted one season to see what he could do with Vick.

Things didn’t go as planned. Obviously. Petrino didn’t win. That wasn’t really his fault, given circumstances. But there were so many warning signs about how he handled situations, you wondered how he would function in the NFL environment, even without the extreme issues.

He rarely communicated with his players. He didn’t seek any input from the veterans he inherited — and while it’s certainly his prerogative as a head coach to do as he pleases, constructing such walls is counter-productive for a coach trying to build unity.

Petrino didn’t tell players when they were being benched, or why. Some found out when they got to the stadium on game day. Joey Harrington found out from reporters in a news conference that he might not start at quarterback that week.

Say what you want about Harrington — no professional athlete deserves to be humiliated like that. No man deserves to be treated like that.

Bobby Petrino. Not a man. He is running like a coward.

It has been apparent all season that Petrino and McKay were on different pages in personnel issues (Why make Ovie Mughelli the league’s highest-paid fullback if he’s not going to be used?)

Most of all, he had lost the team. That was never more apparent than in Monday night’s game against New Orleans. Hall walked into the Georgia Dome carrying a sign, and Roddy White wore a T-shirt, both reading, “Free Michael Vick.” Once you got past the vitriol directed toward Hall and White, you had to ask yourself: Would any player have done that if they liked, respected or even feared their coach?

Petrino took exception last week when I asked him about the possibility of leaving the Falcons for a college job (I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, and figured he would wait until after the season).

“My plans are to be here, there’s no question about that,” he said. “I get asked the same question every day, and that’s my plan.”

And now his plan is taking him to Arkansas. At least 13 games covers a full college season.

The Falcons now have one less quitter to worry about.

Good riddance.

Blank should go get Cowher
By Mark Bradley | Tuesday, December 11, 2007, 09:13 PM

Arthur Blank seemed in an awfully good mood for someone who’d spent Monday night talking about his imprisoned quarterback and watching his team lose its 10th game. He was kidding the AJC’s Steve Wyche about the writer’s shirt-and-tie ensemble — “It’s beginning to grow on me,” Blank said — and he’d just seen the guy he’d identified as his team’s “CEO” hold an angered and aborted media briefing. And then the rich man walked with his wife and his security chief toward the Georgia Dome’s exit, surely believing the worst had passed.

Eighteen hours later, the CEO cut and ran.

Eighteen hours later, the worst got worse.

The franchise quarterback is in prison. The coach/CEO is bound for Arkansas. Once again, the rich man has been caught unawares by the true nature of one of his employees. Once again, the long-suffering Falcons are left to wonder if anything will ever go their way again.

What makes coach Bobby Petrino’s exit even more galling is that Blank had come to trust him. If the owner ever referred to Jim Mora as the “CEO,” I missed it. Indeed, Blank in conversation almost always paired Mora with Rich McKay, and speaking with writers before Monday’s game Blank mentioned the GM only when asked about the details of Vick’s contract. In Blank’s eyes, Petrino had become the man with vision, the man with the plan. (I should confess that I also held Petrino in high esteem and am stunned that he took a hike.)

The CEO takes a salary cut to become a Hog. What does that tell us about the state of the Falcons?

It might be funny if it weren’t so sad. Say what you will about Blank, but he has poured body and soul into this franchise, and today he looks like just another rich guy with more money than sense. I wouldn’t blame him if he sold the team to the lowest bidder — would the last man in Flowery Branch turn out the lights? — but I believe he’s in it for the long haul. Alas, the haul keeps getting longer.

For the second time in 11-1/2 months, the Falcons need a coach. At this late date, they should try anything and everything. They could round up the usual suspects, Steve Mariucci chief among them. Or they could try to lure Jimmy Johnson away from Fox. Or they could pursue Rick Neuheisel, the wild card in Georgia Tech’s search. Or they could do what makes the most sense: They could hire Bill Cowher.

Question is, would Cowher, having worked for one of the best organizations in Pittsburgh, want anything to do with the franchise now seen as the absolute worst? That’s where Blank would have to be brave. He’d have to spend big, sure, but he’d also have to be willing to let his coach become the focal point. He seemed to be moving toward that with Petrino, who didn’t stick around long enough for anything to take hold.

The Falcons are no longer Vick’s team and they never quite were Petrino’s, and the Blank Method — coddling and cajoling and empowering — has stopped working. No, the owner didn’t make Vick develop a thirst for dogfights or make Petrino turn tail, but it’s the owner who must clean up after them. Blank spoke Monday of the need to move forward, and 18 hours later his coach moved out.

The next coach needs to be made of stronger stuff. The next coach needs to be tough enough to ride out the losses and bend the organization to his will. The next coach needs to come equipped with an ego and a persona as outsized as the owner’s. Half-measures won’t rescue a franchise that has become a full-blown mess.

Petrino was a bold choice that didn’t work out. Having hit what surely must be bottom, there’s no cause to get timid now. Go bigger. Get bolder. Get Bill Cowher.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:12 pm

Niiice... :-t

Here's an article that goes to pretty good lengths to bash Petrino.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... d=tab3pos1

Petrino's been down this road before … and likely will again

By Pat Forde
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: December 11, 2007

In the coming days and weeks, the disingenuous drifter will say what Arkansas fans want to hear.

He'll look at them with blank shark eyes and tell them, in a monotone voice, how excited he is to be the coach of the Razorbacks. He will tell them how impressed he is by the tradition and the fan base. He will tell them that the Southeastern Conference is the place he always wanted to coach (and that might be the one true thing he'll say, given how many times he's tried to land a job in the league).

It will be a trumped-up stump speech, as sincere as a politician's pledge to cut taxes. It will simply be the latest pack of lies in a career full of them.

But it will be what Arkansas fans want to hear, and the poor saps will be desperate to believe him. During their arduous search to replace Houston Nutt, they've been used and abused by one-fourth of the coaches in the ACC -- first Butch Davis, then Tommy Bowden, then Jim Grobe. Auburn's Tommy Tuberville flirted for a minute as well.

So hiring a guy with a 41-9 college record will get the blood pumping. But those Arkansas fans ready to embrace their new hotshot coach and his pretty ball plays need to understand one thing:

The disingenuous drifter doesn't love you or any other fan base. He doesn't love any school or any NFL franchise. He loves himself, his playbook and his bank account.

That's it. Don't expect it to change.

Bobby Petrino will return your embrace, Hog fans. But while he's hugging you he'll be looking over your shoulder, scanning the terrain for his next hook-up.

Even in a profession rife with dishonest posturing, Petrino is singularly mercenary. Loyalty, allegiance, commitment and honesty are foreign concepts to him. It must be a sad existence.

I apologize to Alabama's Nick Saban -- last year I named him president of the Liar's Club. He's been impeached and replaced by the disingenuous drifter.

Petrino's old boss at Louisville, Tom Jurich, took the high road when asked Tuesday night about the drifter's latest change of address.

"He's a great football coach," Jurich said, adding that he spoke to Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long about Petrino last week and "said nothing to discourage him" from hiring his old coach.

But Jurich did allow that he's "not totally surprised" Petrino would move on less than a year after leaving Louisville for a $24 million contract with the Atlanta Falcons.

"He's five for five," Jurich explained.

What he meant: this is the fifth straight year Bobby Petrino has tried to get another job. Every single season he's been a head coach, he's ended it by pursuing something else.
Follow the grease stain that is the disingenuous drifter's career path:

• In 2003, his first year as a head coach at the University of Louisville, Petrino went behind the back of his employer and his onetime boss, Tuberville, to negotiate a deal replacing him at Auburn. He held a clandestine meeting across the Ohio River from Louisville in southern Indiana with Auburn officials, two days before both the Tigers and Cardinals played their final regular-season games.

It was, by any rendering, a spectacular bit of philandering by both interested parties.

Petrino lied about having any contact with Auburn officials -- until two reporters for The (Louisville) Courier-Journal confronted him with documentation of the private plane that brought the university president and athletic director into Petrino's backyard. I was one of the two reporters. And even when faced with the evidence, Petrino resisted telling the truth until Auburn issued a statement owning up to the whole affair.

Boxed into a corner, Petrino asked forgiveness and chalked it up to the inexperience of a "young coach." Louisville forgave him because he was 9-3 and his offense blew up scoreboards.

It wouldn't be the last time Petrino toyed with the school's loyalties, or the last time he was forgiven for doing so.

• In 2004, Petrino interviewed for the Notre Dame job and had discussions with Florida and Mississippi about their jobs. Then, on Dec. 7, he pledged his loyalty to Louisville.

"I want to make it clear that I'm not interested in any other coaching jobs, and am happy at the University of Louisville," Petrino said. "… I'm very excited about our move into the Big East, the opportunity to play in a BCS bowl game and the chance to compete for a national championship. [School president] Dr. James Ramsey and Tom Jurich, through their hard work and dedication, have made this the best job in the country. As I've stated before, Louisville is the perfect place to raise a family and I plan for all four of my children to graduate from high school in Louisville."

On Dec. 21, Petrino signed an enhanced contract to stay with the Cardinals.

On Dec. 26 -- well before the Petrino children had graduated from high school -- he interviewed with LSU to replace Saban. On Jan. 1, 2005, when it became obvious that he'd lost out to Les Miles, Petrino pulled out of consideration.

On the inside, several Louisville administrators were disappointed they had to keep him. They were sick of the game -- but there was no firing a guy who just went 12-1.

[+] Enlarge

Rex Brown/Getty Images
Bobby Petrino lost more games (10) in a partial NFL season than he did in four full seasons as a college head coach.
• In 2005, Petrino interviewed with the Oakland Raiders. That's after telling people for years that he had no interest in coaching the pros -- college was where he wanted to be. He ultimately turned down the job and professed his commitment to the Cardinals again.

• On July 13, 2006, Petrino signed a 10-year contract worth up to $25 million -- a staggering deal for a school of Louisville's modest football heritage and fan base. The day he signed it, Petrino vowed again that Louisville was home. He made a point of insisting that a $1 million buyout provision be put into the contract, putting his money where his dissembling mouth is.

"We did want to make a statement," the disingenuous drifter said that day about the buyout. "… I wanted to make sure everyone understood -- I know I've said it -- that this is where I want to be, where my family wants to be. But I want everyone to really believe it."

Sure, he wanted everyone to believe it. Not because it was true, of course. Just because he was tired of answering questions about his wandering eye.

Five months later, he was gone to Atlanta.

Even this time around, there have been recent pronouncements of commitment to the task at hand and the people who write his checks.

On Nov. 26, Petrino told the Associated Press that he was staying in Atlanta. "I haven't given it [college coaching vacancies] one bit of thought," he said.

Shockingly, that didn't hold up, either.

Early in his career, Rick Pitino was famously called Larry Brown on training wheels. Petrino isn't Larry Brown on training wheels; he's Larry Brown in a Maserati.

The good news for Arkansas is that it might be the last school willing to give this guy anything more than what he deserves: a one-year contract and a monitoring device on his ankle. The NFL certainly will never give him another chance as a head coach, not after fleeing with three games left in the season and undercutting an owner like Arthur Blank. And every college in the country should know by now how fickle Petrino can be.

Even in what appears to be a major rebuilding year for the Hogs in 2008, I predict Petrino will do better than expected. He's that good as a coach -- for my money, the best offensive game-planner and tactician since Steve Spurrier's heyday at Florida. That will be a welcome dynamic at a school that struggled to diversify its offense beyond Darren McFadden and Felix Jones the past two years.

But a little success can be a dangerous thing. It might tempt some deluded and desperate school to offer Bobby Petrino a job -- and that's a temptation the disingenuous drifter is powerless to resist.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk