5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear

Moderator: Football Moderators

5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear

Postby Sandrock » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:15 pm

DEWITT, Ark. — A 5-year-old Arkansas County boy killed a black bear Sunday weighing more than 400 pounds.

Tre Merritt, a descendant of Davy Crockett, was hunting with his grandfather Mike Merritt when a black bear happened upon their stand.

"His 10th great-grandfather was Davy Crockett," Mike Merritt said. "And Davy supposedly killed him a bear when he was three. And Tre is five and really killed a bear. I really doubt if Davy killed one when he was three."

Mike Merritt was in the stand at the time but said Tre did it all by himself.

"He came in about 40 to 50 yards," Mike Merritt said of the black bear, "and when he got in the open, I whistled at him and he stopped and I said, 'Shoot Tre.'"

Tre confirmed his grandfather's account.

"I was up in the stand and I seen the bear," Tre Merritt said. "It came from the thicket and it was beside the road and I shot it."

At first, Mike Merritt didn't think Tre had hit the bear with his youth rifle.

"I said, 'Tre, you missed the bear,' " Mike Merritt said. "He said, 'Paw-paw I squeezed the trigger and I didn't close my eyes. I killed him."'

The bear turned out to be 445 pounds — 12 times the weight of Tre. Mike Merritt said tears rolled down his cheeks when he found out his grandson killed the enormous bear.

Tre Merritt's father, Wheatley, said he began teaching his son to shoot when he was just 2 ½ years old, and said Tre killed three deer last year.

Wheatley Merritt said the family plans to get a life-sized mount of the bear, but where they will put has yet to be determined.

DeWitt is in rural eastern Arkansas, close to the Mississippi River bottoms and near Stuttgart, the Duck Hunting Capitol of the World.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear

Postby Tiki » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:18 pm

I wanna see a pic. of Tre.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:18 pm

The five year old then consumed a 12 pack of Pabst's Blue Ribbon with his father and drove the bear-killing duo home to the 'holler.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:42 pm

So would Davy Crockett be this kids Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw-Paw? :-?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moonhead » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:18 pm

moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:48 pm

That is awesome. Start em young. :-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Karoz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:03 am

I'm a descendent of Davy Crockett as well, but I've never killed a bear. I prefer to stick with deer, ducks, and squirrels.

This is a story that he'll undoubtedly want to share with his kids someday. Perhaps one of his future descendents will kill a bear in a similar fashion and will look back and cite this story, just as this reporter is citing Crockett's.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:16 am

IMO, no way should a 5 yr old (much less a 4 year old) be allowed around firearms and encouraged to shoot animals. A 4 or 5 year old child doesn't understand the significance of death. Who the heck knows what pyschological impact being taught to kill will have on a child that young? If you want to teach them to shoot that young, teach them with a BB gun. :-t
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:39 am

I don't know about the psychological impact of the act, but I can pretty well guarantee you that the report from that gun isn't doing that little kid's ears any good.

At least buy the kid a silencer!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:03 am

knapplc wrote:I don't know about the psychological impact of the act, but I can pretty well guarantee you that the report from that gun isn't doing that little kid's ears any good.

At least buy the kid a silencer!

Maybe they believe in Darwinism.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk