5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear

Postby moonhead » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:05 am

killing animals is wrong.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:26 am

Tiki wrote:
knapplc wrote:I don't know about the psychological impact of the act, but I can pretty well guarantee you that the report from that gun isn't doing that little kid's ears any good.

At least buy the kid a silencer!

Maybe they believe in Darwinism.

I think whether or not they believe in Darwinism, Darwinism believes in them. If they keep doing dumb things (like letting a five-year-old handle rifles) they're going to find themselves out of the gene pool sooner or later.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:32 am

knapplc wrote:
Tiki wrote:
knapplc wrote:I don't know about the psychological impact of the act, but I can pretty well guarantee you that the report from that gun isn't doing that little kid's ears any good.

At least buy the kid a silencer!

Maybe they believe in Darwinism.

I think whether or not they believe in Darwinism, Darwinism believes in them. If they keep doing dumb things (like letting a five-year-old handle rifles) they're going to find themselves out of the gene pool sooner or later.

not soon enough. :-°
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:03 am

I don’t understand the obsession with kids’ achievements at young ages. As if this kid will not have this opportunity when he’s 12. What’s the big deal that he’s only 5 and why would you be proud of that? Because not every 5 year old can? Please. When that 5 year old is put up next to another 5 year old, in 15 years is it going to matter than the one killed a bear when he was 5? Besides a nice story, I don’t see the benefit and fixation on young children’s accomplishments at such young ages. As if you’re holding them back if you wait or something. Why give a 2 ½ year old a gun? A kid that age isn’t going to want to shoot a rifle. That’s the pressure of the parent. To be proud of that is to be proud of a pet. It’s childish. I didn’t let my kid shoot a gun till he knew what it was, and even still, at 8, I don’t let him hold a rifle on his own. BB gun, yeah, with me right next to him.

It’s just crazy with all these head start programs and preschools for 2-year olds and so on. Why the fascination with getting kids started so early?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:10 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I don’t understand the obsession with kids’ achievements at young ages. As if this kid will not have this opportunity when he’s 12. What’s the big deal that he’s only 5 and why would you be proud of that? Because not every 5 year old can? Please. When that 5 year old is put up next to another 5 year old, in 15 years is it going to matter than the one killed a bear when he was 5? Besides a nice story, I don’t see the benefit and fixation on young children’s accomplishments at such young ages. As if you’re holding them back if you wait or something. Why give a 2 ½ year old a gun? A kid that age isn’t going to want to shoot a rifle. That’s the pressure of the parent. To be proud of that is to be proud of a pet. It’s childish. I didn’t let my kid shoot a gun till he knew what it was, and even still, at 8, I don’t let him hold a rifle on his own. BB gun, yeah, with me right next to him.

It’s just crazy with all these head start programs and preschools for 2-year olds and so on. Why the fascination with getting kids started so early?

Good post. Kids need to be kids.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby moonhead » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:23 am

this is progress. very nietzschean.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:31 am

Great post, Omaha.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:01 pm

Because ORS some of those kids turn out to be Tiger Woods, LeBron James, or Mark walhberg in the movie "Shooter". I think you're underminding talented young kids.
Case in point.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MxPmzIKBris

mod edit... fixed your link

Edit-Thanks. And here is a funnier one. Hehe
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I don’t understand the obsession with kids’ achievements at young ages. As if this kid will not have this opportunity when he’s 12. What’s the big deal that he’s only 5 and why would you be proud of that? Because not every 5 year old can? Please. When that 5 year old is put up next to another 5 year old, in 15 years is it going to matter than the one killed a bear when he was 5? Besides a nice story, I don’t see the benefit and fixation on young children’s accomplishments at such young ages. As if you’re holding them back if you wait or something. Why give a 2 ½ year old a gun? A kid that age isn’t going to want to shoot a rifle. That’s the pressure of the parent. To be proud of that is to be proud of a pet. It’s childish. I didn’t let my kid shoot a gun till he knew what it was, and even still, at 8, I don’t let him hold a rifle on his own. BB gun, yeah, with me right next to him.

I'm confused.

Unless of course you mean specifically that a 5 year old shouldn't have more gun training than most adults (as if knowing how to be responsible with a gun is a bad thing ;-7 ). This kid very well could grow up to be one heck of a sniper that saves many lives...

And don't misunderstand. My boy's 9 and has never touched a real gun, so it's not like I condone or support this, just confused by what you said.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:26 pm

Madison wrote:

I'm confused.

Unless of course you mean specifically that a 5 year old shouldn't have more gun training than most adults (as if knowing how to be responsible with a gun is a bad thing ;-7 ). This kid very well could grow up to be one heck of a sniper that saves many lives...

And don't misunderstand. My boy's 9 and has never touched a real gun, so it's not like I condone or support this, just confused by what you said.

My son is not learning to be violent by taking taekwondo. He is learning valuable life lessons that expound what we teach him at home, lessons that should be taught at young ages, discipline, respect, honor, confidence, etc. The knowledge and skill of knowing how to take down someone twice your size is simply the bridge and the tool. I've taken my kid hunting. I have no problem with that. I had a problem with the father or uncle or whoever he was going on and on about him teaching him how to shoot when he was a toddler and killing such an enormous creature by 5.

I'm a gun owner Madison, you know that. I love guns to be honest, and hope my son eventually shares that love so we can go shooting together. But they're dangerous and a 2-5 year old is typically too young to have something that can kill in their arms. My son is not really into real guns right now. He loves walking around with me through the woods and loves to carry whatever smaller animal we shoot to eat later. But he hasn't been attracted to the actually firing of a rifle yet. I'm not going to buy him one, take the time to teach him how to use it, until he shows interest. I understand a grandfather's or father's desire to teach, obviously, especially a hobby that you love yourself. But we have to keep age in mind here and let them enjoy the things that kids are supposed to enjoy. Frankly, I think this man in the story is rather selfish. He's taken some childhood from this kid for his own gratification. Let the kid play in the dirt or something. Is there something wrong with that? I guess that's not something he can brag about in the papers though.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk