5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 5 Year Old Boy Kills 400+ Pound Bear

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:13 am

ORS, what I'm pointing out is that you didn't stipulate what is ok to be pround of and what isn't. You simply stated that anyone who is pround of a kid's accomplishment at a young age, is childish and being proud of a pet. You didn't stipulate that it's ok that someone can be proud of their child, just so long as you agree that they should be proud. If I had gone into your thread about your kid when you started the thread and posted this:

I don’t understand the obsession with kids’ achievements at young ages.

That’s the pressure of the parent. To be proud of that is to be proud of a pet. It’s childish.

Then that would upset you, right? Just because you don't agree this kid should be responsible around guns and have some clue as to how to behave around them, that doesn't mean it's wrong. If this kid had done something foolish, then I'd bash the heck out of the parents right there with you. That's not what happened though, and evidentally the kid was ready to learn and was taught very well. The kid went hunting, handled himself like he should have, and that's that. Nothing there to bash.

I would also argue that a child learning how to behave around firearms learn those lessons faster and more effectively than he would through martial arts. Reason being death. If the kid doesn't learn those lessons while around firearms, death is a real possibility. Martial arts? He might wind up beaten up, but he's not going to wind up dead. Granted, I stipulate that not all kids should be around guns at that age, taught about guns, or anything of the sort at such a young age, but according to everything we've heard on this story, this particular kid was ready, so there's nothing here to bash.

I think the issue is for some reason you read this story as the grandfather gloating, bragging, or whatever. I didn't read it that way. Simply that the kid learned to shoot at 2 1/2, he killed 3 deer at 4 years old, and now killed a bear at 5 years old. If that's all true, those are facts and reasonable to have in the story, since the story is about the kid and his shooting ability. I don't see it as bragging or gloating in the least. If you saw it as factual information, rather than read into something that might not be there, would you still be so upset about this and go so far as to insult half (?) the country where hunting is a normal way of life, and even a passage of growing to adulthood in some families?

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:21 am

Madison wrote:I think the issue is for some reason you read this story as the grandfather gloating, bragging, or whatever. I didn't read it that way. Simply that the kid learned to shoot at 2 1/2, he killed 3 deer at 4 years old, and now killed a bear at 5 years old. If that's all true, those are facts and reasonable to have in the story, since the story is about the kid and his shooting ability. I don't see it as bragging or gloating in the least. If you saw it as factual information, rather than read into something that might not be there, would you still be so upset about this and go so far as to insult half (?) the country where hunting is a normal way of life, and even a passage of growing to adulthood in some families?

I have to go to my kid's Christmas program right now, but I'll point out that I too am a hunter Madison. I was certainly not insulting hunters. I was insulting the man, or the writer of the article possibly, for taking such great glee that his child was so young when he accomplished this. Maybe I'm interpreting it differently than you, but that's the way I read it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:29 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Madison wrote:I think the issue is for some reason you read this story as the grandfather gloating, bragging, or whatever. I didn't read it that way. Simply that the kid learned to shoot at 2 1/2, he killed 3 deer at 4 years old, and now killed a bear at 5 years old. If that's all true, those are facts and reasonable to have in the story, since the story is about the kid and his shooting ability. I don't see it as bragging or gloating in the least. If you saw it as factual information, rather than read into something that might not be there, would you still be so upset about this and go so far as to insult half (?) the country where hunting is a normal way of life, and even a passage of growing to adulthood in some families?

I have to go to my kid's Christmas program right now, but I'll point out that I too am a hunter Madison. I was certainly not insulting hunters. I was insulting the man, or the writer of the article possibly, for taking such great glee that his child was so young when he accomplished this. Maybe I'm interpreting it differently than you, but that's the way I read it.

No worries. Hope the program goes well! ;-D

And I do think that's where the difference is. You see it as bragging, I see it as factual information for the story. Meh, no biggie. ;-) :-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:31 pm

Madison wrote:No worries. Hope the program goes well! ;-D

And I do think that's where the difference is. You see it as bragging, I see it as factual information for the story. Meh, no biggie. ;-) :-D

Program went well, but I won't bore you with my bragging... :-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I don’t understand the obsession with kids’ achievements at young ages. ;-7

:-b :-b ;-)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:59 pm

Madison wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I don’t understand the obsession with kids’ achievements at young ages. ;-7

:-b :-b ;-)

He's 8 now. Needs to get himself a damn job.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:20 pm

josebach wrote:IMO, no way should a 5 yr old (much less a 4 year old) be allowed around firearms and encouraged to shoot animals. A 4 or 5 year old child doesn't understand the significance of death. Who the heck knows what pyschological impact being taught to kill will have on a child that young? If you want to teach them to shoot that young, teach them with a BB gun. :-t

Well (to me atleast) it's not so much teaching a child to kill, and to be honest with you I don't know how good Bear tastes or if they even ate it, but to me it's more providing food and spending time in nature, but I have to agree, 5 does seem a bit young. :-?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Guru13 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:36 pm

wow, shoulda done a lot more reading of this thread before I posted, in one aspect I agree with Mad, in another I agree with ORS, two years old is far, far too early, I can't even remember when I was 2, few can, your brain can't possibly fully process what you are doing until atleast 6-8 years old I would say, 2 is just absurd, I first fired a real firearm wen I was 8 years Old, it was a .22 long, the perfect starter gun IMO, next to BB/Pellet guns of course.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:38 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:He's 8 now. Needs to get himself a damn job.

Mine's 9 and is still mooching off of me.

:-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:04 pm

Madison wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:He's 8 now. Needs to get himself a damn job.

Mine's 9 and is still mooching off of me.

:-b

Don't get your hopes up. I am 20 and still at home. O:-) :-B
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk