Style of Questions in the Triva Time Trial - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Games Talk

Style of Questions in the Triva Time Trial

Moderator: Football Moderators

Style of Questions in the Triva Time Trial

Postby spodog » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:41 pm

The Cafe games are great. Kudo's to those of you who keep them running.

Now on to my rant . . ..

It seems to me that the majority of the questions asked in the Trivia game prove less about people's NFL trivia knowledge and instead actually are geared towards people's ability to go look up large amounts of obscure facts on the internet.

The game is set up well, but the questions aren't very appropriate for a true "Triva Challenge".

Questions like "Tell me the 7 defensive backs who were drafted by AFC teams out of schools from the SEC Conference in the 4th round or lower who have made the Pro Bowl at least once between 1974 and 1998 during years in which they also had 4 or more Interceptions in that year. I need their name, rookie year, jersey number and zodiac sign

don't really test anyone's trivia knowledge, they only test someone's patience and information assembling skills since the question can only be answered by pulling out a 1,500 page reference book from a library or searching the internet for 30 or 45 minutes.

In my view, a trivia question should be reasonably brief, have no more than 1 piece of information required to answer it correctly (unless it is a LIST question, like Who are the 4 QB's to win the such and such award?, and should be able to be answered either right or wrong in under 30 seconds.

If you are asking questions where the FASTEST correct answer is coming back in 5 or 6 MINUTES, you really should think about the type of question that you are asking.

Maybe the trivia game should be split into two contests . . . . 1 with true TRIVIA questions and a second game called "RESEARCH TIME TRIAL" with these insanely long complicated questions.

Is it just me?
Last edited by spodog on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Style of Questions in the Triva Time Trial

Postby Jimboozie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:42 pm

You mean to tell me people still play the trivia game? 8-o :-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:31 pm

It's just the nature of the game. People ask hard questions because they are trying to stump the other players. If you get a question right, you have to ask a question to get credit for it. It's just human nature to try and stump everyone else so that noone gets any points for your question.

You are right though. The questions get ridiculously tough sometimes. Every once in a while I throw one in there that everyone should know, making speed really matter. You can do that as well. Start asking questions like "who won SB 1?" and see if you can start a trend.

Personally, I like the challenge of trying to search for the correct answer. It does get a little ridiculous though. :-? :-S

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby SniperShot » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:46 am

I am very discouraged of playing the Trivia game because of that exact reason. That and there are like two people who just totally dominate and answer all the weird questions in 10 seconds.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Return to Cafe Games Talk