Sean Taylor > Pat Tillman? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sean Taylor > Pat Tillman?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sean Taylor > Pat Tillman?

Postby bagobonez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:56 pm

I have no problem with people sympathizing over Sean Taylor's death, but good lord, I never expected to see such an out pouring of sympathy from the entire nation. I don't remember Pat Tillman getting this much attention and media time. Sure, he got quite a bit, but let's face it, his story was quite a bit different than Taylor's.

Tillman: Gave up a lifestyle that most can only dream of to go and risk his safety for the sake of our freedom.

Taylor: Gave up the lifestyle of a criminal so that he could take care of his kid.

Yet Taylor gets more media time and national sympathy than Tillman? Give me a break. All these players around the NFL are wearing #21 stickers on their helmets in memory of Taylor. Yet when Jake Plummer tried to do the same thing for Tillman, he was told he would be fined. Maybe that's the difference in Tagliabue and Goodell, I don't know.

But that's not even the worst of it. The worst of it is that three other players died in the past year as well. Broncos CB Darrent Williams, Broncos FB Damien Nash and New England Patriots' DE Marquise Hill.

WHERE ARE THE HELMET STICKERS FOR THESE GUYS? Are their lives any less important than Taylor's was just because they weren't pro bowl players? Why aren't they constantly talked about on ESPN and other national news channels? Why didn't the Broncos start their next game with only 10 guys on defense? Or the Patriots?

I hope I haven't ranted on too long, just really irritates me that this guy who had a reputation for being a thug is causing hundreds of thousands of hearts to bleed all over the country while guys like Pat Tillman, Darrent Williams, Damien Nash and Marquise Hill have pretty much been forgotten about.

/end rant.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sean Taylor > Pat Tillman?

Postby ttwarrior1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:52 pm

lmao dude, tillman got more attention and noone has mentioned taylor since last sunday. Tillmans went on forever
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:03 pm

Just a small thing I will point out is that Darrent Williams died after the season ended, I believe whereas Taylor's death was in mid-season. And Tillman got more attention.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:35 pm

and at the beginning of the season the patriots players were wearing stickers for marquise hill :-b

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:36 pm

I think you're seeing more of a difference in Tagliabue and Goodell as you mentioned, rather than public appeal.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bagobonez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:01 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:and at the beginning of the season the patriots players were wearing stickers for marquise hill :-b

Yeah, the Patriots' players did, but what about the rest of the league? Nope.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:32 pm

bagobonez wrote:
JasonSeahorn wrote:and at the beginning of the season the patriots players were wearing stickers for marquise hill :-b

Yeah, the Patriots' players did, but what about the rest of the league? Nope.

I would think that some of this has to do with his roots at Miami and having many friends in the league that extend back to college. He has more league renown than marquise hill, so people honor him more.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:46 am

not sure I agree with the premise on the face of it, but I doubt we will see a major SI expose on every little detail of Taylor's death, like they did with Tillman.

Of course, and I am saying this not to be insulting, but Tillamn's death was very sad, but he did choose to go into the armed forces, where of course the major elephant in the room is that you will be going to places where others want to kill you. Taylor on the other hand was in his own home and senselessly shot. I see a difference between the two.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby YerInUrine » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:16 am

Taylor also had alot of hype coming out of college because he was the 4th overall pick in 2004. Tillman was the 227th pick in 98. None of the other players, may they rest in peace had as much hype as him. Alot was expected of him.
YerInUrine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby benb18a » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:46 am

Pat Tillman knew he was taking the risk of being killed. He was killed by an enemy that he swore to seek and destroy, not an @$$hole kid breaking into his house and shooting him in th middle of the night. Both were heroes, just in different context. And yes, Taylor was the bigger name/better player, this has something to do with it. Do you really think Joe Shmoe second stringer is going to get more publicity than a Manning or Tomlinson in similar circumstances?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk